News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MEngine v0.1

Started by Physix, March 10, 2016, 11:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Physix

I'm posting these here because reasons. In the meantime, leave your thoughts, criticisms, and suggestions here. The other thread will be for smaller updates.

Hold SHIFT for low FPS cap.

Executable (F4 Fullscreen):
https://www.mediafire.com/?ub7do7z69j7s086

Source (GM:S):
https://www.mediafire.com/?67c78r0h1ri0hwn

Enter: Subscreen
Ctrl: Morph
Shift: FPS
F4: Fullscreen
Z: Jump
X: Fire
D: Moonwalk
C: Dash
A: Aim
Q: WeaponEdit/L
W: WeaponSwitch/R

Sorry I couldn't come up with better test rooms (or just room).

Obligatory this wouldn't have happened without: Von Richter, Betatronic, Shmegleskimo, Infinity's End, Elpizo, Tokinsom.

Cpt.Glitch

I'd suggest making a charged shot without log beam travel slightly further than normal shots without long beam. Also the explosion GFX seem a bit out of place but that's just me. I really like what I see and all these beam combos are radical.

Physix

Sorry this release isn't as hot and wet and exciting and you were hyped up for. I'll be sure to cut myself tomorrow or something. Too lazy right now.

Oh and the controls:

Enter: Subscreen
Ctrl: Morph
Shift: FPS
F4: Fullscreen
Z: Jump
X: Fire
D: Moonwalk
C: Dash
A: Aim
Q: WeaponEdit/L
W: WeaponSwitch/R

FelixWright

some things:

- samus should diag shinespark w/diag aiming as well, not just up+left or right
- up/down wave combo
- you appear to have the code for springball, it's just in highjump. make seperate pls
- looks a bit strange walljumping with screw attack w/o spacejump. Perhaps continue to have the screw attack animation?
- I really want that prime-style spacejump shins thing
- I notice this is still the SM suit. Didn't you have one or two custom suits from msr388?

Otherwise, fantastic work fam, keep it up

FPzero

My biggest suggestion would be to allow the player to switch between the Beam and Subweapon selections while selecting weapons. Right now if you select beams you must leave the beam selection, switch to subweapons and then bring up the selection menu again.

I also noticed that when using the Speed Booster, if you charge a shinespark and then start running again but stop running before you charge a new shinespark, your stored shinespark will disappear. This isn't a case of the shinespark timer expiring either because I tested to see how long a shinespark is stored versus the conditions I just laid out here.

Additionally with Shinespark, being able to use diagonal shinesparking by pushing the angle shot button would be nice, like you could do in Super Metroid.

The Missile/Super Missile explosion sound effects don't sound loud enough when they explode on dry land. Ironically, the muted sfx for underwater sound louder to me.

Keyboard/controller remapping would be great but I'm assuming you just haven't done it yet. For the most part the default controls work on a 360 controller with little issue but personally I'd swap around some of the face buttons to better suit what I'm used to with SM.

This feels really good so far. The sheer number of smooth animations on Samus is staggering. Looking forward to more progress!

Physix

Quote from: FelixWright on March 11, 2016, 12:27:09 AM
some things:

- samus should diag shinespark w/diag aiming as well, not just up+left or right
- up/down wave combo
- you appear to have the code for springball, it's just in highjump. make seperate pls
- looks a bit strange walljumping with screw attack w/o spacejump. Perhaps continue to have the screw attack animation?
- I really want that prime-style spacejump shins thing
- I notice this is still the SM suit. Didn't you have one or two custom suits from msr388?

Otherwise, fantastic work fam, keep it up

PBomb combos can only be used while standing still and facing forward. Wave combo can't go vertically, I'm afraid.
Fixed springball. Walljump looks fine imo. Prime-style shins will come. I won't be using the MSR388 sprites.

Nommiin

Well, thanks for making this as long as you did.

It's a shame that someone had to ruin it for you.

Quote58

Quote from: Nommiin on March 11, 2016, 01:29:40 AM
Well, thanks for making this as long as you did.

It's a shame that someone had to ruin it for you.

Sounds like some hidden drama, has development for this halted?

Tokinsom

Quote from: Quote58 on March 11, 2016, 02:59:00 AM

Eh. I tried to shed some light on Metroid SR388 with a small clip of the latest engine, and the first thing he does is rip the sprites and put them in this one.

Anyway, it's settled and the videos have been removed.

Honestly I'd like to see more of this engine. It's pretty good work. I'm just tired of everything I post on my youtube channel ending up in it in some form or fashion. If you want better sprites, then make better sprites or find a pixel artist willing to help.

Quote58

Quote from: Tokinsom on March 11, 2016, 03:27:15 AM

Eh. I tried to shed some light on Metroid SR388 with a small clip of the latest engine, and the first thing he does is rip the sprites and put them in this one.

Honestly I'd like to see more of this engine. It's pretty good work. I'm just tired of everything I post on my youtube channel ending up in it in some form or fashion. If you want better sprites, then make better sprites or find a pixel artist willing to help.

I'm confused, does that mean sr388 was/is actually being worked on currently?

Tokinsom

Quote from: Quote58 on March 11, 2016, 03:51:25 AM
I'm confused, does that mean sr388 was/is actually being worked on currently?

No, it's dead, but it was in development well after Von left and there's a lot no one has seen. I'm posting a video covering it's entire dev history soon. (Not to go far off topic here)

Nommiin

<snip> If you want better sprites, then make better sprites or find a pixel artist willing to help.

In a perfect world where it's that easy.

Physix

That went too far, sorry. I'll keep working on it though. I tried making my own sprites, but it's simply too much for one person to finish.

Nommiin

Quote from: Physix on March 11, 2016, 09:39:59 AM

That went too far, sorry. I'll keep working on it though. I tried making my own sprites, but it's simply too much for one person to finish.

Those good.

FPzero

Maybe it's not my place to comment but the sprites in question here are mostly extra sprites for Samus that give her smoother transition animations between poses, correct? Wouldn't it stand to reason then that even if Physix gets another sprite artist to help him that the poses drawn would be fairly similar to the MSR388 ones due to the nature of the job? Not to mention, he would probably have to pay any sprite artist he finds anyway.

Might just be me, but, maybe the two of you can strike a deal? It seems a shame that the MSR388 sprites go unused especially when another sprite artist would basically be recreating very similar sprites. The sprites already exist so why not cut out the middleman of finding another artist to recreate the wheel and instead make a deal with whoever made or currently holds the MSR388 sprites?

Physix

Quote from: FPzero on March 11, 2016, 10:55:40 AM
Maybe it's not my place to comment but the sprites in question here are mostly extra sprites for Samus that give her smoother transition animations between poses, correct? Wouldn't it stand to reason then that even if Physix gets another sprite artist to help him that the poses drawn would be fairly similar to the MSR388 ones due to the nature of the job? Not to mention, he would probably have to pay any sprite artist he finds anyway.

Might just be me, but, maybe the two of you can strike a deal? It seems a shame that the MSR388 sprites go unused especially when another sprite artist would basically be recreating very similar sprites. The sprites already exist so why not cut out the middleman of finding another artist to recreate the wheel and instead make a deal with whoever made or currently holds the MSR388 sprites?

Just let it go for now. They've made it abundantly clear that they don't want to see their sprites in anyone else's game.

Lunaria

Not that I'm not interested in this project, but do you really need two threads for it?

Physix

Quote from: Lunaria on March 12, 2016, 08:30:09 PM
Not that I'm not interested in this project, but do you really need two threads for it?

This thread is for downloads and feedback, and the other is for general updates. Feel free to lock the other thread, I guess?

Quote58

Quote from: Physix on March 12, 2016, 11:08:25 PM

This thread is for downloads and feedback, and the other is for general updates. Feel free to lock the other thread, I guess?

The first post of a thread tends to be used for downloads (ie. get's updated every time there's a new download, and then referenced in a new post in the thread)

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Physix on March 12, 2016, 11:08:25 PM

Wouldn't need to lock the other thread, but merge both threads.
Also keep infomation, guides, questions and downloads pertaining to your engine in here only.

That way everything is neat and in order to prevent anyone else to dig through both threads to find the information they need from it or you in general.