News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

URDE

Started by Antidote, February 22, 2016, 06:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antidote

URDE/PathShagged is an attempt to retread the steps of Retro Studios' talented software engineers and completely reimplement the engine from the ground up. The ultimate goal is to faithfully recreate the engine using modern programming techniques and language extensions.

PathShagged is a runtime that is rewritten from scratch using C++ from pure PPC assembly, methods include static and dynamic analysis in IDA and Dolphin's debugger.

Currently there are only two active programmers scouring the the game to achieve this, @jackoalan, and myself, but anyone who wishes is more than welcome to join in and help out in anyway you can.

Releases:
Current release:
Prototype 7

Antidote

Here's a little peek at what Jack and I have been working on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px3Y1vjFTOA

All credit goes to Jack for getting indirect textures in place!

Antidote

After a couple of days of work Jack has gotten THP and RSF support working in URDE/PathShagged! We're one more step closer to getting something real for you guys.

It's still pretty preliminary and there may be some bugs that we need to squash, but so far it looks pretty stable.

SirAileron

I'm absurdly excited for this project. I'd love for the Prime resources to become available for fangame type work!

Quote58

I just realized this topic has like no replies. This is super cool! Good luck to you guys I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Antidote

Thanks quote!

Also, Prototype 7 has been released and is linked in the OP, so any testers are welcomed!

Quietus

Quote from: Quote58 on March 17, 2016, 12:11:43 AM
I just realized this topic has like no replies.
I think many of us are just waiting to get our grubby little mitts on it. :^_^:

FPzero

In my case I guess I'm still a bit confused what the program actually is. Is it a level editor like I think Parax's PWE is or is it an editor for specific parts of the game? The OP doesn't make it very clear what your program edits.

Aruki

URDE is a reimplementation of the engine. Basically they're porting the game to PC. I believe they're planning on supporting the original games as well but they aren't the priority, so PWE will probably work better for the original games (since that's the sole focus of PWE).

FPzero

So they're basically recreating the Retro engine so it could be used for other projects?

Antidote

Quote from: FPzero on March 18, 2016, 07:38:52 PM
So they're basically recreating the Retro engine so it could be used for other projects?
Exactly, but our primary purpose is getting MP1 working, after we're finished with MP1, we'll move on to MP2, then MP3.

Now, before you get too excited, this is going to take a LONG time. I'm currently spending 80-90% of my time tracking down symbols in the retail and labeling them, while jack is doing most of the RE.

Edit:
@Parax thanks for jumping in and explaining, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Also, it's hard to list what our editor is going to edit, but it summarizes to one word: "everything"

Antidote

Soooooo, one of our long-term goals was to have compatibility with the save format, well I just accomplished a major step for that:
https://gist.github.com/Antidote/5837d7eff6f05087c117
MP1 saves are now properly decoded!

mentalis

Im totally new here and found this by accident but man this is what i have been waiting for ever since i played the original game on GC i really hope it works out.
so whats the plan?
3 different engines or on universal engine that can do everything from all 3 games?

Antidote

A bit of both, there will be one base "engine" with specializations to support the changes each game made. We're concentrating solely on MP1 for the time being.

Kargaroc

Is there anywhere I can watch progress of this?  I've just been watching the github repo.

I kinda want to see more visible progress, I guess?  I know you progress every day, but I can't really see it, aside from github commits which is just code.

To be clear, I'm just really excited about this.  This may as well be one of the best things to happen to these games.  By God I'd love to help, but I don't really know if I can in any way. :(

Quietus

There seems to be a lot more activity on M2K2, with a thread for general research, the world editor, and URDE.

Kargaroc

I don't know...

SMXM

Can someone please show me how to run this?

Quietus

By 'run', do you mean how you load the iso to extract data? The page says there are releases here. The loading instructions are also on that page. If by 'run' you mean the actual application, it's not stable, and has not been released yet.

SMXM

I can do these two:
Place executable somewhere convenient (like by the game image)
Open cmd/shell and change directory to the image's location
then if I do this:
Run hecl: hecl extract <game_image>.iso
it says this:
'hecl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Please help.

Quietus

I haven't tried it myself, but have you completed the checklist as detailed on that page?

Installed the MSVC Redistributable
Installed Blender
Downloaded the Metroid Prime Trilogy .iso file(s)
Downloaded HECL, and placed it in the same directory as the .iso file(s)
Open the command prompt, and changed to the directory where you put the two files
Run HECL using: hecl extract iso-name-here.iso

Edit: Also, if you've done all that, you could try renaming the .exe to just hecl.exe.

interdpth

Quote from: SMXM on June 24, 2016, 01:51:48 PM
I can do these two:
Place executable somewhere convenient (like by the game image)
Open cmd/shell and change directory to the image's location
then if I do this:
Run hecl: hecl extract <game_image>.iso
it says this:
'hecl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Please help.

when you do hecl.exe, do the full path to hecl, or put hecl in the images location

SMXM

It didn't work.The .exe was already in the same folder as the Metroid Prime.iso so i tried the path then running hecl,I tried the path then full exe name then running it but nothing works.

Quietus

Have you got the ,iso file's name correct? i.e. If the .iso is just called "a.iso", it'd be
hecl extract a.iso

SMXM

Yes,I've rechecked for that  but still nothing.