News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MEngine

Started by Physix, February 07, 2016, 08:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheAnonymousUser

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on June 15, 2016, 07:54:08 AM
I know you mean well but as it stands currently let physix be the head production of his game.
When he gives the official word for it to be open sourced, then you can do whatever you like.
Have some patience for now and let him fix it, just by looking at his current engine and his recent videos.
He may have corrected those errors, just come back later on when he acknowledges all of this.

Quote from: OP
Source (Latest):
https://www.mediafire.com/?67c78r0h1ri0hwn
I guess if you really wanted to help solve that mapbuffer problem, you could?

Dark-SA-X

No the reason for that, it belongs to physix he jacked it up to not work correctly let him step up and fix the problem.
If you want to look into it, you download the game maker app I'm not for all of that. :/

thedopefish

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on June 15, 2016, 10:15:58 AM
No the reason for that, it belongs to physix he jacked it up to not work correctly let him step up and fix the problem.
If you want to look into it, you download the game maker app I'm not for all of that. :/

Physix has shared his source and asked for help/suggestions/etc.  Obviously you're free to just sit back and let Physix work on it himself, as most of us will, but there's no need for you to come in and actively discourage other people from contributing if they want.

TobiMikami

I've been working with an engine in Game Maker of my own. I'm keeping mine under wraps for a while, but I'd be willing to collaborate and share resources. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're interested, I'll be back later tonight.

Dark-SA-X

I never discouraged him from doing so, I rather pony wait for physix to fix that door transition problem.

thedopefish

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on June 15, 2016, 06:25:48 AM
Physix can only solve this problem himself
Quote from: Dark-SA-X on June 15, 2016, 06:25:48 AM
Just find something else to do, until physix acknowledges this and fixes it or gets help fixing his engine.
I know you mean well but as it stands currently let physix be the head production of his game.
just come back later on when he acknowledges all of this.

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on June 15, 2016, 10:31:35 AMI never discouraged him from doing so

Seems legit.

snarfblam

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on June 15, 2016, 10:31:35 AM
I never discouraged him from doing so, I rather pony wait for physix to fix that door transition problem.
Quote from: thedopefish on June 15, 2016, 10:34:21 AM
[all the things]

Dark_Sax, try to remember this is Metroid Construction, and we want to keep things constructive. I apologize for that. You're welcome to have and share an opinion, just please don't repeat it ad nauseam, especially if it's something discouraging.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: thedopefish on June 15, 2016, 10:34:21 AM
Seems legit.

Then leave it at that, no need for all of this to happen in a few short hours.

Zero One

Dark-SA-X, could you, for fuck's sake, stop shitting up every single thread you post in? Preferably BEFORE you end up banned?

Physix

I'm in FLORID a foe another week and typing from phone with autocotrect and bad touch stern keyboard SAVE ME PLEASE I will comment in a week I hope
Don't go to Florida there's nothing but crocodiles malls and trump suporters

Quietus

Can you not just use the voice input? That way, you may get lucky, and have at least 50% of the words being correct. :grin:

TAxxOUTBR3AKxx

Just to say, I've been following this thread for a bit now, and I noticed almost immediately the engine was all remember left from MSR388. It still looks as amazing and refreshing as I remember. I know a lot of fans were very disappointed after all the hard work and dedication that went into it suddenly just disappeared off the face of the earth with seemingly no explanation. Building up hype like that over such a strong and promising project left a lot of sour tastes in fans' mouths as well. Regardless of the fact that the assets are appearing online again due to a team member further providing on his and the whole teams' works says a lot about his dedication.

Yes, there may have been ways that some things could've been obtained in dishonest ways, but at least the credit is given where due. Also, such an upgraded and deep engine will greatly help with the hacking scene. The thing with the SNES Super Metroid is the limitations of the system and the amount of "work" it takes to do a lot of things. The only limitation to PC-ran engines is the complexity of it. There's no limitations to the sizes of rooms, enemies, PLMs, etc in terms of data sizes. There's plenty of advanced things that can be done in a fraction of the time that it'd take for new people to try and code in via ASM on the SNES. What I'm saying is a lot of the hassle work is eliminated this way (assuming an editor similar to SMILE RF comes to fruition). Imagine. Rooms that are 23x12 for a MASSIVE landing site overworld? You could actually BUILD a planet like this if you wanted. Unlimited rooms could make unlimited states to the same rooms and not interfere with overwriting data from other rooms. Same with enemies and their data. It's hugely been a past problem and all those nuances can be eliminated with a good PC Metroid Engine such as this.

Everyone is ecstatic about this lost project making some sort of headway again and it's simply because the engine was beautifully and masterfully crafted. Music and "stolen" assets aside, it is a very fresh and promising platform to base a new Metroid game on. I'm strongly looking forward to playing around in this and seeing how everything feels.

TheAnonymousUser

Quote from: TAxxOUTBR3AKxx on June 19, 2016, 11:57:19 AM
Yes, there may have been ways that some things could've been obtained in dishonest ways, but at least the credit is given where due.
Try telling that to any of the sr388 crew...we've had to split the thread twice, because of this...

Also, such an upgraded and deep engine will greatly help with the hacking scene. The thing with the SNES Super Metroid is the limitations of the system and the amount of "work" it takes to do a lot of things. The only limitation to PC-ran engines is the complexity of it. There's no limitations to the sizes of rooms, enemies, PLMs, etc in terms of data sizes. There's plenty of advanced things that can be done in a fraction of the time that it'd take for new people to try and code in via ASM on the SNES. What I'm saying is a lot of the hassle work is eliminated this way (assuming an editor similar to SMILE RF comes to fruition). Imagine. Rooms that are 23x12 for a MASSIVE landing site overworld? You could actually BUILD a planet like this if you wanted. Unlimited rooms could make unlimited states to the same rooms and not interfere with overwriting data from other rooms. Same with enemies and their data. It's hugely been a past problem and all those nuances can be eliminated with a good PC Metroid Engine such as this.
Hold up, there. This may just be me personally, but I feel rom hacking and a fan engine are 2 completely different ball games, they're not really the same thing. Getting ideas from said engine, perhaps it'll help the hacking scene. Anything else...not really?

Everyone is ecstatic about this lost project making some sort of headway again and it's simply because the engine was beautifully and masterfully crafted. Music and "stolen" assets aside, it is a very fresh and promising platform to base a new Metroid game on. I'm strongly looking forward to playing around in this and seeing how everything feels.
I guess in some regard this isn't a straight up revival of sr388 (IE has made it perfectly clear that sr388 isn't being worked on any time soon), but at the same time, it's nice to see someone working on just as good an engine as sr388

FPzero

Eh, I agree that the engine may help revitalize interest in the hacking scene or the general Metroid modding/fan-game scene. Custom-built engines offer a lot more flexibility in what they can do compared to the original game because you're no longer restricted to the bounds of the original game's hardware and framework. I can think of two such engines for other games where this is happening right now.

Super Mario Bros X's engine is incredibly powerful for Mario fangames and has a very active (relative for fangames) modding scene. The scope of what you can do with it extends far beyond what you can do with Lunar Magic and an original SMW rom. MP3 music, tilesets imported from images, multiple characters, multi-layer manipulation, advanced parallax scrolling, new powerups--it can do so much more than Lunar Magic ever will be able to. But it's not necessarily in direct competition with LM because LM has years and years of support behind it and it is continually being developed even 15 years later. In some ways, very advanced SMW hacks can be more impressive than an equivalent SMBX offering because of how much work it takes to change SMW into something beyond a basic but functional hack.

The other example is the Fire Emblem XNA engine. While not yet public, it is an engine that takes the basic engine of the GBA Fire Emblem games and transposes it into C#XNA. It now includes a bunch of features that were not in the original game such as 6-person conversations, larger character portraits, battle skills, enemy range calculations from later games, and very large maps. These don't sound all that impressive if you haven't worked with hacking the GBA games but to those who have what FEXNA can do is nothing short of amazing. In this specific case, I could see FEXNA becoming the standard for GBA FE hacking because the current line of tools are passable but ultimately insufficient for truly advanced FE romhacking.

The existence of a custom engine like this one for Metroid doesn't mean that development will stop on the romhacking front, or that no one can learn from one or the other. They can exist alongside one another, and some people may move between the two if they desire.

TAxxOUTBR3AKxx

Also, just to throw it out there, the person behind Megaman X: Corrupted, JKB Games, has stated when his game releases it'll have a fully-functional editor built in to allow people to build their own layout of the game ala SMILE for Super Metroid. Like stated, a more flexible engine makes it easier for people to jump in and create their own. While I know rom-hacking is more independent when it comes to a creators' mods, a PC engine alleviates the strains on new potential "hackers" from entering the scene.

Physix

The only way to get any true flexibility is to get into the project file through GM:S and start coding. An editor is out of the question because then, I'd have to design and program an interface with a billion and one variables and components. I would also need to make my own room loading scripts that take a file and read its tile, object, door, and collision data, alongside many other small variables. Fuk that, I aint adding 20000 lines of code to do what has already been done for me.

I've decided to make it all work through GM's IDE. To help with that, I want to document everything I add as I add it, SMMM style. Was that guide done through a web editor or something? The layout would work nice.

Lunaria

Quote from: FPzero on June 19, 2016, 06:09:20 PM
Eh, I agree that the engine may help revitalize interest in the hacking scene or the general Metroid modding/fan-game scene. Custom-built engines offer a lot more flexibility in what they can do compared to the original game because you're no longer restricted to the bounds of the original game's hardware and framework. I can think of two such engines for other games where this is happening right now.

Super Mario Bros X's engine is...

The other example is the Fire Emblem XNA engine....

The existence of a custom engine like this one for Metroid doesn't mean that development will stop on the romhacking front, or that no one can learn from one or the other. They can exist alongside one another, and some people may move between the two if they desire.
No mentioning of Zelda Classic? For shame! :P
ZC has long since expanded beyond the Zelda 1 limitations and framework, in fact it has most functionality Zelda 3 does these days, aside from free-form screen scrolling (Though people are working on scripting this...).

SMXM

I don't know if this has been mention but I tried to go to the screen on the right then everything went black.I restarted it and the demo on the title screen was black and the actual game was black,only the HUD was visible.And I'm really excited for this!

TheAnonymousUser

Quote from: SMXM on June 24, 2016, 06:54:57 AM
I don't know if this has been mention but I tried to go to the screen on the right then everything went black.I restarted it and the demo on the title screen was black and the actual game was black,only the HUD was visible.And I'm really excited for this!
Look a few pages back, and you'll find that the mapbuffer file isn't doing what it should be doing. Whether physix has fixed this or not, is another thing

Physix

Quote from: TheAnonymousUser on June 24, 2016, 07:10:07 AM
Quote from: SMXM on June 24, 2016, 06:54:57 AM
Look a few pages back, and you'll find that the mapbuffer file isn't doing what it should be doing. Whether physix has fixed this or not, is another thing

The actual problem is that the file doesn't get found by the game no matter where people place it. It works just fine on my computer, so what the hell...

Zero One

I wonder if it's referencing its location using an absolute filepath as opposed to relative?

Physix

Quote from: Zero One on June 24, 2016, 10:55:10 AM
I wonder if it's referencing its location using an absolute filepath as opposed to relative?

That's the problem with GM:S sandboxing. I have no damn clue where it's checking. A tech blog said absolute locations are impossible because there's no way to check which directory the executable is in. The executable literally cannot see where it's being executed from.

ponybaloney

It sounds like you might have to rewrite the room transition code to not use that file.

Physix

Quote from: ponybaloney on June 24, 2016, 06:26:15 PM
It sounds like you might have to rewrite the room transition code to not use that file.

I don't want to store a 109kb string within code... lmao.

ponybaloney

Quote from: Physix on June 24, 2016, 06:28:39 PM
I don't want to store a 109kb string within code... lmao.

What exactly is it that makes it so large?