News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MEngine

Started by Physix, February 07, 2016, 08:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote58

Quote from: FelixWright on June 10, 2016, 09:41:54 AM
As nice as it is for you to donate to charity, what the heck are we all looking at? Why bother downloading something if we have no idea what sound this is?

Remember to describe and take images of things you want people to download.

I mean, it's .ogg and literally says Maridia Dark Sea, I wonder what that could possibly be.....maybe a musical take on the area of maridia?  :lol:

Dark-SA-X

Well find out for yourself if you like quote58.
Please don't follow up after felix like that.

Physix

I mean if anyone likes designing worlds/rooms, hit me up.

MetroidMst

Just use bubbles everywhere, and ignore anything Dark-SA-X says since he only talks in PAL.

FelixWright

Quote from: Quote58 on June 10, 2016, 12:45:59 PM
As nice as it is for you to donate to charity, what the heck are we all looking at? Why bother downloading something if we have no idea what sound this is?

I mean, it's .ogg and literally says Maridia Dark Sea, I wonder what that could possibly be.....maybe a musical take on the area of maridia?  :lol:

Yes

but

Where do you see SA-X saying that in his OP? Absolutely nowhere.

You clicked the link without knowing what it was first, excepting that it could be converted to ogg and dark sa-x thought it was dank

Physix

I was hoping someone would help with a Ceres demo... if you know what I'm saying.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Physix on June 10, 2016, 03:10:55 PM
I was hoping someone would help with a Ceres demo... if you know what I'm saying.

If you mean for testing out, I'll help some.
On the bus right now I'll come later on.

You guys need to get your brains and eyes checked.

MollyAncalime

I'm always up for playtesting and spriting, and as for level design I could likely help some as long as your engine isn't more complicated than placing blocks a la SMILE. When I do rooms they tend to be a bit basic as far as appearance and layout, but you could always spice 'em up if you felt like you needed to.

Physix

I made the tileset, but it's just so plain and boring.

I don't know what tiles I can add to really liven up the architecture of Ceres. Like, what kinds of machines or computers or tubes they'd have around the station? I dunno. Maybe you have some tile ideas?

Dark-SA-X

Pull some ideas and lab tiles from the bsl space station.
Also contra 3 may have some good tiles if your willing to rip them.

MollyAncalime

I would primarily suggest adding in a few Tourian style tiles, as well as some BSL or Pirate Mothership ones.
As I said on the other thread for the snow tiles, Rogue Dawn and Axiom Verge are two great sources for inspiration as well, or you could check M:FM's archive for anything useful.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Perhaps more slopes and different steepness on the stairs would be good?

ponybaloney

Quote from: Physix on June 10, 2016, 04:19:19 PM
I made the tileset, but it's just so plain and boring.

I don't know what tiles I can add to really liven up the architecture of Ceres. Like, what kinds of machines or computers or tubes they'd have around the station? I dunno. Maybe you have some tile ideas?
Maybe you could do a destroyed version by pulling some tiles from Zebes's blown up mother brain room? There's also all those mechanical rooms in Tourian and on the way out when you're escaping. Idk, i don't think you really need to add anything as long as your backgrounds are fairly interesting. Looking at the original Ceres Station, there's really not a lot of tiles and structure in the foreground. It's all in the background and i think that's where its strengths are.

Quote58

Quote from: FelixWright on June 10, 2016, 02:45:54 PM
Quote from: Quote58 on June 10, 2016, 12:45:59 PM

Yes

but

Where do you see SA-X saying that in his OP? Absolutely nowhere.

You clicked the link without knowing what it was first, excepting that it could be converted to ogg and dark sa-x thought it was dank

That was a typo, I meant to type .mp3. I didn't download it btw, but when the link says ...maridia-dark-seas.mp3 and we know who it is linking it, /and/  in the same post mentions converting it to  .ogg, it's pretty damn clear what it is.

Dark-SA-X

Would you please knock it off with the bickering about the file ? your the only guy keeping things off topic in here.

Cpt.Glitch

Dark SA-X your intelligence is staggering.

Also Physix, computers and glass tubes and stuff would be something to add. Control panels, maybe even have an enemy that acts like a background hologram or something like that.

FPzero

You could also have some general handrails not attached to staircases. I'd also suggest some vertical and horizontal piping in the walls as filler tiles. You could also make hanging lamps and floor lighting.

One big thing you could do is use more than one palette row for your tiles. I know Ceres in vanilla SM is pretty much just blue tiles everywhere but what says your version has to be? You could have all sorts of new colors in the area. Even just having tiles of different colors can go a long way to making an area less boring to look at.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on June 11, 2016, 12:09:24 AM
Dark SA-X you're intelligence is staggering.

Well after looking at physix tiles again if he indeed is going for the ceres feeling.
Since this will begin outer space it would be nice to see some windows and universe outside while running around.
The tile colors look good, if its going to have monitors, computers or whatever else.
I partially agree with fpzero for abit more of coloring check this image here for an example.

Quote58

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on June 10, 2016, 11:35:41 PM
Would you please knock it off with the bickering about the file ? your the only guy keeping things off topic in here.

Felix quoted my text and responded, so I replied to him. Simple as that.

On topic, Physix the tileset you made looks like it's just fusion with a sprinkle of custom, which is something that has been done many times for super metroid already, I suggest looking at black falcon's amazing station tileset for some inspiration

FPzero

Comparing the two it's definitely at least 90% custom, if not totally custom and I like it. They look like if Fusion's graphics were drawn in a Super Metroid style instead of the more cartoon-y style that Fusion and Zero Mission had for their tiles.

passarbye

Quote from: Physix on June 10, 2016, 03:10:55 PM
need a level/world map designer?  :wink:

ponybaloney

Quote from: Physix on May 05, 2016, 05:30:18 PM
Quote from: elol on May 05, 2016, 05:21:44 PM
there is something to move or modify?
:?: :?: :?: :?:

I don't know anymore. This sandboxing crap is tiring me out.
Did anyone solve this problem with the MapBuffer.buf file? Cause i'm still having the same problem with not being able to transition to other rooms. I can't figure it out for the life of me. :sad:

ponybaloney

Did anyone solve this problem with the MapBuffer.buf file?
So when I open up MapBuffer.buf in notepad, it's just a bunch of random text followed by literally thousands of A's. I'm not sure if that's intended or even if the file was written in a text editor but yeah, just thought it was weird.

Dark-SA-X

Physix can only solve this problem himself, the demo he has now isn't playable.
Even the demo play in it shows when samus goes through the door it will stop and not pull the next area.
Just find something else to do, until physix acknowledges this and fixes it or gets help fixing his engine.

ponybaloney

But isn't that the point of an open source project? That anyone can download it, edit it, and help out with it? I'm not very good at anything related to game design as I have little experience with it, but I do have an understanding of basic logic and I can troubleshoot and maybe show a different way of thinking about problems that other people didn't think of. That's all i'm trying to do here, I just want to help.

Dark-SA-X

I know you mean well but as it stands currently let physix be the head production of his game.
When he gives the official word for it to be open sourced, then you can do whatever you like.
Have some patience for now and let him fix it, just by looking at his current engine and his recent videos.
He may have corrected those errors, just come back later on when he acknowledges all of this.