News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MEngine

Started by Physix, February 07, 2016, 08:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crashtour99

While I dig the SR-388 block pushing animations for the most part, I always found the left arm action to be quite silly.  It's like Samus doesn't know what to do with it while she's pushing a block, so she just flails it mindlessly.

SlyPork

I'm assuming by "incomplete" you mean mock/speedball?

Physix

Quote from: SlyPork on February 29, 2016, 02:31:11 AM
I'm assuming by "incomplete" you mean mock/speedball?

Naw, I made all of that.
Although, mockballing serves little purpose now that you can dash in ball form :(

Only facing left sprites are done. If anyone can do the facing right ones, please try.

Alukraid

What I see here, I must declare, is giving me a very firm erection. Please, don't stop making whatever this awesome project is because I must play it before I die.

Physix

Quote from: Alukraid on March 03, 2016, 03:08:15 PM
What I see here, I must declare, is giving me a very firm erection. Please, don't stop making whatever this awesome project is because I must play it before I die.

Please keep in mind that I made absolutely everything you see and did not borrow from anyone else.

Oh yeah, recoil.

I was thinking about adding a short dash attack if you double tap forward. Like a mini shinespark forward that could break specific blocks and give you a horizontal boost. I'm thinking about it.

Quietus

Quote from: Physix on March 03, 2016, 03:56:39 PM

Oh yeah, recoil.
That's actually a cool little touch. I wouldn't have even noticed if you hadn't pointed it out, but things like that make a project stand out. :^_^:

Alukraid

Please keep in mind that I made absolutely everything you see and did not borrow from anyone else.

Oh yeah, recoil.

I was thinking about adding a short dash attack if you double tap forward. Like a mini shinespark forward that could break specific blocks and give you a horizontal boost. I'm thinking about it.

I'm a bit out of the loop but, the people that want to play whatever this beautiful beast is probably don't care if you did or didn't "borrow" assets, we just wanna play it. So keep up the progress dude!

Physix

Quote from: Alukraid on March 03, 2016, 08:33:16 PM

Oh yeah, recoil.

I'm a bit out of the loop but, the people that want to play whatever this beautiful beast is probably don't care if you did or didn't "borrow" assets, we just wanna play it. So keep up the progress dude!

Dawg I think we better drop it. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to work on next... Lots of things to do. HUD, subscreen, saving, dying, demos, arm cannon coordinates for a few of the new poses... Enemies are done for the most part thankfully.
I think I'll redo the HUD to make it less of an eye-sore.

frozenLake

You know, a thought I had about the beams is perhaps beams that, by their very nature, do not stack with eachother. For example, Plasma not stacking with Diffusion Beam, as one passes through enemies, and the other explodes on impact?

That might be something worth possibly implementing. Also, potentially the Havoc beam I've seen in a romhack video, but don't remember in an actual hack.

Jordan5

That would be very Axiom Verge and it's a mechanic I love. Do it :grin:

Physix

Power Bomb combos are boring. Once I'm done with the HUD, I'll definitely consider spicing them up. Give them a few steroids, you know? I'll do the subscreen after the combos. I swear. I'm not putting it off at all.

FPzero

Maybe you could find a way to implement Prime-style Beam Combos in 2D if the Power Bomb Combos don't go over too well? Of course, there would need to be enemies worthy of that level of damage output.

I've liked pretty much everything I've seen thus far from you. Good luck with all the spriting you still have left to do. The Power Grip looks fantastic from that one angle.

Physix

Spazer combo in progress. Just gotta make it rain and sprite the facing left animation.

Quietus

Beginning to feel like I'm repeating myself, but that also looks really cool. :cool:

Physix

Aight whatever, next combo.

Quietus

That's actually really nice, and looks like it'd be more useful than the original combos, as it affects the whole screen instead of having awkward attack patterns. You could even use very similar AoE combos for all beams, increasing in power as the beams do.

Physix

I was planning on Plasma Beam turning your arm cannon into a plasma saber for a minute. Manly chainsaw-for-hand Samus.
I mean, I really want it to happen - but there's no way in hell that I'll ever make the animations for it. I'll have to go for something way less cool.

Power beam is all about being straightforward to use, so I'm planning on making it spawn a hard-to-aim giant slow moving ball of plasma that'll obliterate everything... But I'm really doubting that it'll be balanced. Using it against a boss would basically 1 shot the boss, while anything less would be "Why the fuck did I use a PBomb for this?", especially when it'll be so clumsy to use.

AoE is Spazer's specialty. Ice beam won't rain or shield, it'll enhance your beam/missile projectiles for 30 seconds, causing them to spawn ice particles on impact. I think I saw another Metroid Engine do it, but I'm claiming it all as my own because I'm an asshole. The ice particles will bounce around for a little and will freeze everything they touch for 1 second. It'll just be a brief mini-stun to go along with every attack. Will have to think about it more.

Dunno what to do with wave beam. Throw some ideas at me.

Quietus

Maybe the wave beam could emit a circular pulse outward, warping the screen as it expands?
Or one pulse out to either side of Samus, sort of burning along the ground? Visually warping the terrain as it travels would be a bonus. Something like this attack.

FPzero

Make it some shots that go forward in and Tangent Graph instead of a Sine Wave.

Physix

Quote from: Quietus on March 04, 2016, 04:58:34 PM
Maybe the wave beam could emit a circular pulse outward, warping the screen as it expands?
Or one pulse out to either side of Samus, sort of burning along the ground? Visually warping the terrain as it travels would be a bonus. Something like this attack.

I fucking love that idea, I'll have Samus smash her arm cannon into the ground and have the ground burst waves outward (if I don't feel like killing myself while drawing the animations).

It makes weird sounds when hitting water, but it looks good enough.

SChase123

You know what you should do?
You should add the Phazon Suit and Light/Dark Suits.

Physix

Coming right the fuck up homie!  :!: :!: :!: :!:  :nod: :nod: :nod: It'll be some good shit dude!
It's actually real easy to add new suits, just add a palette and you're done bro, I can add 50 phazon suits within a minute's work schase my man!!!!

Jiffy

Neat as fuck, Physix. :^_^:
Where are you even going with this project anyways? You look like you have the potential to recreate every single Metroid game there is! Just please don't let it die out.

Physix

Nothing much, the goal is an open source Confrontation-size game. Whatever.

All I need to add now is a charge-up animation for the dash, otherwise it just looks way too spontaneous.

frozenLake

How difficult would it be to add multiple characters that control differently? (such as Zero Suit Samus, or perhaps a character from prime hunters)