News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Forging ZM/MF beta textures

Started by FelixWright, January 28, 2016, 10:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FelixWright

The newest archive is always on my most recent posts. NOT THE OP.

I've spent the past day or two looking into the betas of gbatroids and to be quite honest I prefer the look of some things

So I've gone into some lossy (because early 2002 == not very clean screenshots) screencaps of placeholders, seperated them, placed them into their own files, etc for use in fangames or something

THERE IS FAR MORE TO COME FROM THIS, WHICH IS WHY I DATED THE ARCHIVE.

Expect the first update to be on MF beta's hatch (I haven't completely de-lossed it yet)

I'm faithful to the nopicsnoclix rule, so here's a view of the contents

I "made" varia/gravity suits, unarmed missile, and armed/launched super missile myself

biospark

I wouldn't call those rips. For a second I thought you had the beta version of each rom. I'm assuming you're just taking the old screenshots and redrawing them as they would appear in the game.

FelixWright

Quote from: biospark on January 29, 2016, 02:23:06 AM
I wouldn't call those rips. For a second I thought you had the beta version of each rom. I'm assuming you're just taking the old screenshots and redrawing them as they would appear in the game.

I wish I had the beta ROMs, I don't think anyone in the world has them

I'm taking old screenshots and cropping/editing so that they ARE in fact how they look ingame

The fusion hatch was a pain because there were no screenshots with a full hatch. However, there was a screenshot with tops of hatches and bottom/middle of hatches so I cropped them and pieced them together

FelixWright

- "Delossed" MF Door
- Added nongate version
- Extended readme
- Added an incomplete "rip" of certain textures I still need to grayscale/denoise to look like beta.

edit: forgot attachment

Quietus

I don't know if these are what you're after, but I found them while searching for beta stuff. They open like normal ROMs if you use no$GBA. :^_^:

FelixWright

Quote from: Quietus on February 01, 2016, 08:26:42 PM
I don't know if these are what you're after, but I found them while searching for beta stuff. They open like normal ROMs if you use no$GBA. :^_^:

FAR older than that, friend

You got close with that 2003 SRL file, though. the ZM beta I'm looking at is from earlier 2003. As for MF...not even close, that's the sept 16 debug for EU. There was a 2001 beta I'm very interested in however

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397089/

IMDB has a video of what it looked like in 2003!

biospark

Quote from: Quietus on February 01, 2016, 08:26:42 PM
Nah the "true" betas are ones we see from early footage, where the graphics look quite different.

Also, you can just put ".gba" on the end of those files and it will work with normal emulators. Though, I wonder how those files were obtained in the first place...

Quietus

I'd guessed as much, but thought I'd give it a go. :^_^:

FelixWright

update 2.4.16

- Suits weren't perfect, fixed them and made fullpower/ lowpower versions of each
- Assuming blocks in the GBATroids are 16x16 I made a crop of betamf hatches so that they are 64 length x 32 width
- Graphical improvements on the hatches

what is to come:

- clean X radar
- clean beta tileset
- animations

FelixWright

- 2 Preview GIFs of hatches opening or closing. Made animation fast, but not fast enough. Helpful tip: To make a faster GIF, set the colors to exactly how many there are in the gif (GIFs default-save in 256 colors, so this helps a lot.)

SChase123

I made a mock-up of it, it's not finished nor fully colored but it'll do.
https://gyazo.com/4fe2c2d3fa55ca76cffad38c608ccb68
EDIT:
I'm also making an animated version of the health bar.
https://gyazo.com/1ced07f662a8c76cdb6d27e02c6ecc83

biospark

It's not totally clear whether that footage is from the actual beta or not.

SChase123

Quote from: biospark on February 07, 2016, 08:59:57 PM
It's not totally clear whether that footage is from the actual beta or not.
It could be.

FelixWright

Quotewhat about the other sprites?

Did I ever say I was finished? no.
And I'm not interested in doing the "chibi-style" gfx from "alpha" ZM. There's not enough screenshots/documentation, anyways.
Crocomire is in the game, but lacking code. No reason to take his textures if you already sent a link to someone else that did.

That being said, do your best not to diss other forum members, ESPECIALLY biospark. He's been doing a lot of good for the GBATroids others simply won't/don't.

Physix

Quote from: FelixWright on February 07, 2016, 09:58:10 PM

That being said, do your best not to diss other forum members, ESPECIALLY biospark. He's been doing a lot of good for the GBATroids others simply won't/don't.

I heard biospark was a lazy asshole!

biospark

Quote from: Physix on February 07, 2016, 11:00:43 PM

Yeah seriously, that guy should've released his editor months ago.

SChase123

Quote from: biospark on February 07, 2016, 11:04:37 PM
Quote from: Physix on February 07, 2016, 11:00:43 PM

Yeah seriously, that guy should've released his editor months ago.
Definitely, what a lazy puss!

FelixWright

Big one this time:

- X-radar cleaned.
- Pretty much all of sector 1 beta's tiles are cleaned up.
- Everything has been categorized into seperate folders.
- Samus' map dot thing. Because it's not like you can make a 4x4 dark blue or white dot yourselves  :smileyspam:
- Diagonal Super Missile! (found out soonafter the projectile and the HUD sprites have a size difference. More work to do)
- Unuzed MZM tiles.
- Powerups, a comparison file, and a recolored E-tank for fun
- More stuff for the HUD
- A lot more useless junk for hatches (including tilerips from FSMR)

enjoy. I spent a lot of time on that tileset.

FelixWright

3/20/16

- 7 new unused tilesets found in MZM using DH. Interestingly enough, a metroid fusion beta tileset or two are in mzm

- 4 new unused/partially unused found in MF using DH

FelixWright

- Added five new (not exactly complete) MF Beta tilesets, using the demo photo Tango_311 posted on Metroid: Fan Mission since his beta package is dead.

FelixWright

Shamelessly doubleposting my topic aside:

- Learned how to use Tile Molester and got the placeholder item graphics. (+1ing BioSpark here for the offsets to get it.)

FelixWright

ded

FelixWright

ded