News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Month - February 2016

Started by Retroo, January 05, 2016, 01:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who made the Room of the Month?

Retroo
2 (13.3%)
Tarince
5 (33.3%)
SM Cory
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Retroo

Tarince

Le Room. (Had to update due to using the wrong screenshot)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

Tarince: You could try and randomise your filler tiles more. Here's a pic that shows the difference, with the more natural looking stuff on the right. :^_^:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Tarince

Quote from: Quietus on January 05, 2016, 04:32:00 AM
Tarince: You could try and randomise your filler tiles more. Here's a pic that shows the difference, with the more natural looking stuff on the right. :^_^:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ohh, I feel you. I think I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip. :)

FPzero

What's up with the bright blue-green pixels on the ruins elements? They're really jarring, especially on that background element near the left door.

Quietus

They're actually quite jarring in the original, though the greeny colour here seems to exacerbate it.

passarbye

Zero One

Then you should participate! It's not like we don't want more submissions :P

Cloud20

If I have some time... I will put my little contribution to this  :^_^:

passarbye

Quote from: Zero One on January 07, 2016, 10:37:29 AM
Then you should participate! It's not like we don't want more submissions :P
I'll have something up by the end of the month, been working on some little stuff here and there.  :razz:

Grimlock

Quote from: FPzero on January 05, 2016, 10:37:40 AM
What's up with the bright blue-green pixels on the ruins elements? They're really jarring, especially on that background element near the left door.

Agreed, the teal highlights seem a bit too vibrant in my opinion.  It takes away from the environment, you should consider revising your palette.

It's been a while since I submitted a room, sadly I have nothing new to show off at the moment.  Polishing up Rogue Dawn and killing off my punch list is my main focus right now.  Well... there is one room I could post... I'll think about it (don't want to spoil too many surprises from the hack)...  If I do can I submit a screenshot that's animated?

Quietus

Quote from: Grimlock on January 07, 2016, 11:38:00 PMIf I do can I submit a screenshot that's animated?
Quote from: Dem RulesMedia - You are allowed to submit up to 3 Native Size screenshots with your submission, I'll be rejecting anything bigger or smaller than 256x224, you do not have to submit any screen shots but this is for you to show off what FX effects or any enemy placements you may wish to highlight.
I guess you could always put the animated image (or even a video) in the screenshot thread, then link to that post in your submission..?

passarbye

Pretty sure everyone knows what room this is, but I don't really care. I had fun with it and made a thing.
palettes are custom (as vanilla as it looks) and everything was made with vanilla assets. No layer 2 BG.
[spoiler=kinda big image][/spoiler]

video! https://youtu.be/Zc0ymt0wNsA

vote how you like, I'm not in this to win.  :heheh:

Ridley

Question... this is all very new to me, so what tools are you guys using? Are you using standard rom-hacking tools, and if so, how are you getting these screenshots of the entire room?

Quietus

Yes, they're using SMILE (Super Metroid Integrated Level Editor). The most up-to-date version is SMILE RF. To get the screenshot of the whole room, you need to click on Tools > Save Bitmap > Room. Normally, people also disable BTS and the scroll areas, both of which are under Preferences > View > Layers (shortcut keys are F3 and F4). Unfortunately, they don't show enemies or items.

Also, the ROM you'll need is "Super Metroid (JU) [!]", which is easy enough to find via Google. :^_^:

sm cory

big room from my hack! its the update pic from the room of the month I posted a week ago  :sad:[spoiler][/spoiler

FPzero

I actually like that room a fair bit but man, the blue on those bottom tiles REALLY stands out. They're really bright and saturated compared to the rest of the tiles in the room.

Digital_Mantra

yeah I really like that room, lots to take in, but the bottom tiles should have been that other brown crat set you used, would have blended it together better. good stuff tho.

Vismund Cygnus

I AM LATE

Retroo won January with some cray-cray Crateria:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

But can he go 2 for 2 in 2k16? Not if Tarince and SM Cory have it their way!
[spoiler=Retroo][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Tarince][/spoiler]
[spoiler=SM Cory][/spoiler]

Who will win, Metconst? Only you can prevent forest fires decide!

You too could battle for glory and babes! All you have to do is submit your rooms over yonder!

Quietus

Tarince for me. I'd like to see more merging of the ground tiles with the bricks, and less pillow shading, but it's still a nice room. :^_^:

Vismund Cygnus

[spoiler=Retroo]That sure is some fairly stock standard Crateria. I think in particular your "background cave" tiles could use a bit more work. For example, if in the top centre of the room you were to randomise the filler a bit more, it would probably look a whole lot nicer. You've gotten better at doing it through the foreground (though it could still use a little work), but you should be doing it in the middleground too.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Tarince]Basically echoing Quietus here, plus the usual "randomise filler = make prettier" spiel. But I really like what you've done here, and look forward to seeing more from you.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=SM Cory]On one hand, this is really neat. But there's a ton of improvement that could be made too. So many tiling errors, and other general sloppiness. For example, the grass suddenly cutting off at corners is really jarring, as is the transition from the darker section to the ultra bright "normal Crateria". Also, what's the deal with the top-left door?[/spoiler]

My vote's for Tarince. It could use some work, but I see potential, and you're only improving.  :^_^:

SlyPork

All could use some little touch-ups (as mentioned above) but they are all still nice rooms.

Tarince has the nicest of the nice rooms so my vote goes to him this month.

SpoOkyMagician

@Retroo: While the room design is fine/good, it feels... lacking to me. If you intended for the room to be a generic open world on the planet though, you captured it perfectly. I just would of liked to see more. Overall, good design though.

@Tarince: I question the brick tiles at the entrance of the room in front of the pillars. Otherwise, the room design/look/feel is fine. A pretty solid room.

@sm cory: The room is very... busy to say the least. However, I like it. Excellent job.

Overall: It's a tough call honestly. However, I will have to go with SM Cory in this one. He used depth extremely well in his room. I also have to credit him on his patience on making a large room. Those take a long time and can get very frustrating at times. You have my vote.

~ SpoOkyMagician