News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Month - January 2016

Started by sm cory, December 11, 2015, 02:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who made the Room of the Month?

sm cory
Tarince
RetroKnuckles

sm cory

Quietus

I think you need to follow the link in the OP for the submissions thread.

For feedback:
It looks like it's supposed to be natural terrain, but this is broken a bit by the mirrored terrain in the middle, the red blobs in the scenery on the left-hand side, and the uniform shaped holes in the ground. Try more randomisation! This also applies to your filler tiles, where you should try and avoid just putting one loop of tiles inside the previous loop.

Lastly, try and avoid having any slopes leading directly to a door, and always have at least one flat tile after the slope. The reason for this is that with enough speed, players can clip straight through the door cap (of any colour) and trigger the transition to the next room.

Tarince

Here is my submission. UPDATED:

I would like to thank ModernDayZero for the GFX in this room. I am most likely going to continue using this tileset because of how awesome it looks to me.

passarbye

jesus, could you fuck up the palette any more? what kind of cave is this supposed to be?

Tarince

Quote from: passarbye on December 15, 2015, 09:12:51 PM
jesus, could you fuck up the palette any more? what kind of cave is this supposed to be?
A cave that is red with blue bubbles.

Quietus

The red doesn't look that bad, as you can at least make out the details, but the blue bubbles are so bright that they just bleed into one large, blue mass. You may wish to tone it down a little.

MetroidMst

Other than some obnoxiously weird CRE tiling patterns, that room is worthy.

Retroo

Hey guys, have some project base.

Vismund Cygnus

THE COMPETITION WAS CRUSHED BY THE MIGHT THAT IS I, YOUR LORD AND SAVIOUR VISMUND.
GAZE UPON MY MIGHT
[spoiler][/spoiler]
How could they possibly have hoped to defeat such beauty? Such majesty? Such grace?

Now, it's a new year, so let's have some new rooms!
[spoiler=sm cory][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Tarince][/spoiler]
[spoiler=RetroKnuckles][/spoiler]

Three competitors are battling it out for the coveted title of Room of the Month, but who shall be victorious? You decide, Metconst!

Meanwhile, if you want your own chance at glory, sign up today!
Good luck everyone and happy hacking!

Quietus

Retro for me. The secret in the wall swung it for me this time. :^_^:

Tarince

Not sure if I am allowed to vote, but I am anyways. If my vote is not allowed due to being in the contest, I will delete it upon request.

I really liked Retro's room. I liked the Hyper Metroid style feel it gives off and it isn't too complex, but isn't too simplistic.