Looking to form a team to develop a fan game (WIP Title - Metroid: Hourglass)

Started by Ridley, January 14, 2016, 08:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridley

I've recently started to develop an idea for a Metroid fan game, but I'm at the point where it's clear that I'll never be able to finish anything worthwhile on my own. So for that reason, I'm looking for people who would be interested in joining a team. At the moment I am looking for a programmer and an artist. I plan to do some of this myself as well, but my strengths are definitely in story, design and sound. So let me know if you're interested!

The game will be similar in style to Super Metroid, but I'd like to introduce some new concepts and elements (of course), as well as a new main character. I'm still working on finalizing the storyline, and I'm open to input. But here is the basic idea:

Around 100 years after the original Metroid takes place, scientists on one of the Galactic Federation's new research bases discover abnormally strong energy coming from a nearby planet. The energy only seems to grow over the next couple of weeks, so they send one of their young pilots/scientists out to investigate. This is where the game begins.

The scientist, upon arrival, discovers nothing out of the ordinary, but after wandering around, he discovers a strange area where the ground glows and seems to pulse a bit. The moment he sets foot on this area he loses consciousness.

The next think our protagonist knows, he wakes up in a strange room. He doesn't remember where he is or what he is doing there. His communication device appears to be non-functional now as well. His mission: to discover where he is, why he is there, and ultimately, to save the galaxy from destruction.

I don't want to spoil too much about the rest of the story here, but hopefully that gives you an idea of my concept. And don't worry, the plot won't be as predictable as it might seem. :wink:

And let me know if you'd like more info about anything!

biospark

I'll just be honest: no one is going to join your team unless you can prove
1. You have progress
2. You're talented
3. You're dedicated to finishing

Otherwise, the best you can hope for is minimal help here and there.

Quietus

Not to mention that most (basically all) hacks starting as collaborations never seem to go anywhere or get released. That's not to say you shouldn't get stuck in to your project, but most members here are tied up with other projects, particularly those with skills in programming, and they wouldn't even consider joining until you're at least off the ground with it.

Good luck! :^_^:

snarfblam

The only way team projects tend to work, in reality, is one person starts a project and gets it to the point where there is something promising and interesting to show off, and then others join in. Most people have no shortage of ideas. They can choose to gamble their time on another person's vision or they can pursue their own.

Programming and artwork are the two core talents needed for a project like this, and you've all but said you lack experience in both. I'd say pick whichever one suits you best and start honing your skills. If an artist sees a slick game engine with good level design but terrible art, you're in business! If a programmer sees a bunch of sexy concept art and detailed design documents, you're in business!

Ridley

Quote from: snarfblam on January 15, 2016, 05:41:17 PMIf an artist sees a slick game engine with good level design but terrible art, you're in business! If a programmer sees a bunch of sexy concept art and detailed design documents, you're in business!
That's refreshing to know. In that case, I'll get to work!