News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Rotation Hack [Beta]

Started by Smiley, January 01, 2016, 04:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digital_Mantra

This was a fresh spin on vanilla hacks, fun walljumping on a familiar planet.
Highlight for me was hectic gameplay, specifically the route to Ridley.

Great job and kudos for undertaking this, there's been talk for 10 years on flipping Zebes,
and I think the 90 rotation had a better outcome for gameplay than upside down.

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on January 22, 2016, 02:52:05 AM
a fresh spin
:colonrightv:

I must say though. I really had fun with this one. Now you'll just have to do it the other way!

Smiley

Updated the hack. Fixes the Dachora energy refill issue, the Power Bomb morph maze in Lower Norfair and some graphical issues. Also made Wrecked Ship a bit easier to get around in and increased suitless underwater walljump height a little bit.

Grab here or from the first post.

Leodox

Hard-locked using first elevator.  :pwuh:

jonnie

I'm also seeing a hardlock on the first elevator.

Strokend

Quote from: Mon732 on January 16, 2016, 10:47:56 AM
If you can't get bombs and missiles in blue brinstar then you'll have to try a new seed. The trigger to wake crateria requires you to have bombs and missiles.
The seed 9399907 works, no guarantees about difficulty though. :P

The randomizers should just make it so that Cateria starts out awake, just to avoid issues.

Tilt Controls

I found a glitch/bug/issue where it doesn't spawn blocks under elevators, so I can't use them at all. How do I fix this, it worked before?

ChoZ00

Quote from: SMILEuser96 on January 24, 2016, 11:42:09 AM
Updated the hack. Fixes the Dachora energy refill issue, the Power Bomb morph maze in Lower Norfair and some graphical issues. Also made Wrecked Ship a bit easier to get around in and increased suitless underwater walljump height a little bit.

Grab here or from the first post.

As said earlier, with this update you get stuck in the first elevator and is impossible to advance any further.
Build 8 (that can be downloaded on the first post) works fine!

Smiley

Finally got a small update done. The elevator works now, and some other small changes were made. Anyway,
have fun with RotationHackB10.

FelixWright

Your second trailer just got copyright-claimed by OP of that red brinstar remix.

Kn0p3XX

Hello, i'm stuck in the Spring Ball room, because i hit every time a transition trigger (directly on Chozo's feed) and can't get out.
I downloaded the latest version. It is Beta 10.

Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8jAeaH8GiTDRjF0Vk40QlVQRFk/view?usp=sharing

Smiley

You're not stuck because there's nothing stopping you from simply not touching that block.
Anyway, sneak-fixed into B10.

Wrulfang

Anyone can explain if is possible and how to enter the dachora area?

FelixWright

Quote from: Wrulfang on June 06, 2016, 07:16:46 PM

git gud lol

Most likely some serious shinespark swag, but IIRC there is absolutely no reason to enter that part of the room

Quietus

I had a quick look, and short of tool assistance it looks like a no-go. With assistance, you can super short charge below and to the right of the room, do some quick wall-jumps, then spark diagonally, up through the door.

Wrulfang

Quote from: Quietus on June 07, 2016, 06:07:47 PM
I had a quick look, and short of tool assistance it looks like a no-go. With assistance, you can super short charge below and to the right of the room, do some quick wall-jumps, then spark diagonally, up through the door.

I'll give a look at the super short charge.

I was doing a casual 100% map completition, but I guess that's impossilbe since there are two map tiles in the speed booster room which are only accesible though crumble blocks, and the interior room of west ocean is in a different part of the map, so these two tiles remain blue. And of course the occasional map tile lose, but that happens all the time in romhacks

RandomDood1337

Hey, can you do anything to make it play on SnesX9? I mostly play on that, and I will be trying ZSNES to see if it'll work

PonchGaming

I'm pretty sure it works on snes9x. Did you patch it right?

RandomDood1337

Quote from: PonchGaming on September 14, 2016, 10:40:22 PM
I'm pretty sure it works on snes9x. Did you patch it right?

Yes, I took an unpatched Super Metroid rom, renamed it, "Super Metroid Rotation," then patched it. When I load it, the Nintendo logo shows and after that the screen stays black.

Smiley

Sounds like you used a headered rom. Use an unheadered one.
Also make sure you're not using a PAL rom.

Feral5x

Hey SMILEuser96. Just wanted to say thank you so much for putting the time and effort into making this hack. I've had a lot of fun speedrunning this and dropping my time down to a 46. I've submitted this to AGDQ as a bonus stream if you're not aware, hope you don't mind. It probably won't get in simply because it's a romhack but if it does I'll be sure to give a shoutout to you and everyone else at Metroid Construction for all the time you put into making these awesome hacks. Keep up the great work guys.

Side note: It would be awesome if you could rotate the title screen :P

crazyal02

Quote from: Feral5x on September 15, 2016, 07:47:21 PM
Hey SMILEuser96. Just wanted to say thank you so much for putting the time and effort into making this hack. I've had a lot of fun speedrunning this and dropping my time down to a 46. I've submitted this to AGDQ as a bonus stream if you're not aware, hope you don't mind. It probably won't get in simply because it's a romhack but if it does I'll be sure to give a shoutout to you and everyone else at Metroid Construction for all the time you put into making these awesome hacks. Keep up the great work guys.

Side note: It would be awesome if you could rotate the title screen :P
I've seen kaizo hacks at GDQ before, so it could get accepted!

Infinite901

I'm loving this hack so far! But I'm not sure of one thing - is it possible to complete it 100%?  Because I absolutely cannot figure out how to get the missile behind the speed blocks on main street in Maridia. Is it possible to get?

Smiley

You can also just do an ordinary mockball. It is tricky to pull off though.