News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Single-Wall Wall Jumping

Started by FlamingCobra, April 14, 2012, 08:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlamingCobra

I don't know if you guys know this, but if you use a codebreaker code to enable screw attack, and you don't have space jump active, you can repeatedly wall jump on one wall.

I don't know if this can be exploited and turned into a patch of some sort that enables single-wall wall jumping without screw attack, but I figured it was worth posting.

Quietus

You can do it on one wall anyway, if you're fast enough, by quickly morphing and unmorphing.  It was used to obtain an early Power Bomb expansion while testing to see whether sequence breaking was possible.  Of course, it didn't make any difference.

passarbye

Quote from: Quietus on April 15, 2012, 10:04:55 AM
You can do it on one wall anyway, if you're fast enough, by quickly morphing and unmorphing.  It was used to obtain an early Power Bomb expansion while testing to see whether sequence breaking was possible.  Of course, it didn't make any difference.
i've seen this process, and even as a seasoned metroid player i deem it quite ridiculous.
it's probably the hardest thing to do in all metroid games. (that i am aware of)
although i haven't done it myself, i'm sure i would be pretty frustrated trying.

P.JBoy

It's completely infeasible to do in real-time.  I made a codebreaker cheatcode once for single-wall wall-jumping, it would be much easier for turning into a patch; enabling single-wall wall-jumping is easy enough anyway; what happens is that that when Samus is in either wall-jumping pose, her speed is set to a constant; all that would need doing would be to have it use accelerating code instead.

For reference, here's the cheat:

D0000020 0011
83001256 0010
D0000020 0021
83001256 0020

FelixWright

Quote from: P.JBoy on April 15, 2012, 04:54:01 PM
It's completely infeasible to do in real-time.  I made a codebreaker cheatcode once for single-wall wall-jumping, it would be much easier for turning into a patch; enabling single-wall wall-jumping is easy enough anyway; what happens is that that when Samus is in either wall-jumping pose, her speed is set to a constant; all that would need doing would be to have it use accelerating code instead.

For reference, here's the cheat:

D0000020 0011
83001256 0010
D0000020 0021
83001256 0020

I understand this is a necro, but if anyone else comes through here expecting the code to work I may as well show why it doesn't

https://youtu.be/GHQB0jZyBGU

I'm still unsure how the system works, but I'm assuming you cut off samus' acceleration entirely, which in turn messes up a lot of stuff

also... I've come to learn that if you hold right and let go of it right when you spinjump you boomerang back.

biospark

This works better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vibSQX33J0M

Simply change value at 0x92BC to 0xB. Don't know how to make a code for that.

Quietus

Both of those are delicious, and I missed them in Fusion. Is the IBJ really forgiving, like in Zero Mission, or can you only do the straight-up, single-bomb version shown in the vid?

P.JBoy

Haha, incredible that such a simple change will do that.

FelixWright

Quote from: Quietus on December 21, 2015, 04:54:10 AM
Both of those are delicious, and I missed them in Fusion. Is the IBJ really forgiving, like in Zero Mission, or can you only do the straight-up, single-bomb version shown in the vid?

I'm having trouble with the IBJ, but otherwise, this is nice.

biospark

Quote from: Quietus on December 21, 2015, 04:54:10 AM

It doesn't work as well, since ZM has slightly different velocity and acceleration values.

FelixWright

I've been told you can basically just spam B in ZM. To me that never gets you far, I do it SM style (bomb slightly higher than the last a few frames before explosion)

Quietus

I was thinking more of all of the technical bomb-jumping, such as multiple diagonals and stuff. Zero Mission made it so easy in comparison to the others.

FelixWright

Quote from: Quietus on December 21, 2015, 09:08:24 PM
I was thinking more of all of the technical bomb-jumping, such as multiple diagonals and stuff. Zero Mission made it so easy in comparison to the others.
You can diagonal IBJ?  :shocking:

Quietus

Yes, very much so. Check the beginning of this video, and you'll see KirbyMastah messing around with it. :^_^:

biospark

Quote from: Quietus on December 22, 2015, 04:30:16 AM
Yes, very much so. Check the beginning of this video, and you'll see KirbyMastah messing around with it. :^_^:

Who's the handsome boy who sits down a minute in?

Quietus

I don't know, but at a quick glance, I'd bet that he's as skilled as you at this game, perhaps even as good a TASer. :wink: