News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Working on action adventure game

Started by Damski, November 30, 2015, 09:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimlock

As your graphics become more complex you do run the risk of increasing repetitiveness.  I can see a bit of that occurring in your images.  You'll probably have to create more tiles to break the patterns up otherwise it'll work against the organic theme of the graphics.  What you've got so far looks impressive.

MetroidMst

Please make bubbles for this. Bubbles are great.

Damski

Quote from: MetroidMst on February 16, 2016, 06:24:13 PM

I would create bubbles just for your wish :D

Quote from: Grimlock on February 16, 2016, 05:41:49 PM
As your graphics become more complex you do run the risk of increasing repetitiveness.  I can see a bit of that occurring in your images.  You'll probably have to create more tiles to break the patterns up otherwise it'll work against the organic theme of the graphics.  What you've got so far looks impressive.

Thank u !

I agree. Im planning to do more variety tiles. I have done only like 3... So there is going to be a lot work for me!

Quote from: snarfblam on February 16, 2016, 05:15:12 PM
I thought your original graphics were outstanding, and then you went ahead and came up with something twice as sexy. My one constructive thought is that the old and the new graphics don't necessarily need to be mutually exclusive. I would think the old graphics could be used in some sort of transitional or less swampy sections, and the new graphics in areas that are more overgrown or watery.

The old tile supposed to be placeholder.. Also it does not match my new style.. I would need to rework it almost from beginning....I have learned one big thing from Super metroid. The  worlds Needs a lot of variety of environment.. It would be boring to explore the world.. .. So I'm definitely going add a lot of variety in swamp...

SlyPork

Quote from: Damski on February 16, 2016, 07:04:33 PM

woah woah woah... I didn't know requests were being taken....

Damski

Quote from: SlyPork on February 16, 2016, 08:22:51 PM
Quote from: Damski on February 16, 2016, 07:04:33 PM

woah woah woah... I didn't know requests were being taken....

Of course but dont wish something impossible :D

Adding some plants..

Also Here is fish animation update..

Quietus

I think the fish animation needs to be slowed down or altered to look slower. Remember that a fish's movement is reflective of the way it moves through the water, which is more like a slow, gliding motion.

Also, the greenery looks great, and reminds me of the Mountain Temple in Illusion of Gaia / Time. :^_^:

Damski

Thank u guys...  Do u guys want to test our  character controls physic? We really want create very good controls and feedback would be big help. The original unity controls are horrible and very sloppy... Does not fits in metroidvania at all... So we have been trying to create very similar control feels that metroidvania games have... The controls are almost done but some tweaking needed and also we are planning to create Dash movement and ledge grabbing..... I can post the build here when it is done...

MetroidMst

This is one game I would actually be willing to test for things. (If the bubbles look good.)

Damski

Quote from: Quietus on February 17, 2016, 06:05:43 AM
I think the fish animation needs to be slowed down or altered to look slower. Remember that a fish's movement is reflective of the way it moves through the water, which is more like a slow, gliding motion.

Also, the greenery looks great, and reminds me of the Mountain Temple in Illusion of Gaia / Time. :^_^:

I love Illusion of gaia and that area was pain the ass :D

Damski

Quietus

The ramps could probably use some revision. They look really 'thin' compared to the straight tiles, and makes them stand out.

The plants look good, though the outer edges of the plants seem lost. It may just be the background being black.

Damski

Quote from: Quietus on February 24, 2016, 07:33:24 AM
The ramps could probably use some revision. They look really 'thin' compared to the straight tiles, and makes them stand out.

The plants look good, though the outer edges of the plants seem lost. It may just be the background being black.

:D a lots of thing are horrible in that map.. Its just like fast debug room.. I made very quickly those tiles to test things.. They are not going to be in game... We are trying to test our first monster event  thing in that area..

Yeah I agree about the plant..  The background tiles would maybe fix the visibility?

I have one problem with the green plant tiles.. I think they look very flat and maybe too bright?

Quietus

The brightness looks fine, and fits the aesthetic of the other content you've posted. For the flatness, you may be able to overcome a lot of it by adding fake depth via layering the stems - have them loop round each other. The Mountain Temple stuff I posted before is an example, or you could check Super Metroid's stuff like this.

Damski

Quote from: Quietus on February 24, 2016, 08:16:43 AM
The brightness looks fine, and fits the aesthetic of the other content you've posted. For the flatness, you may be able to overcome a lot of it by adding fake depth via layering the stems - have them loop round each other. The Mountain Temple stuff I posted before is an example, or you could check Super Metroid's stuff like this.

Thank u Quietus for helping! Good suggestion!. Im planning to add some firefly  at those weird plants which start to glow and the green tiles is supposed to be The swamp "Hud" area tiles.. The hud area is going to have some small background waterfalls.. Im trying to make it very  atmospheric.. My bro is now working on Dash  mechanic which is shaping good.

Damski

Ledge grabbing and Dash is 98% Done.  The quality is shit because I took picture from engine and We dont have yet pixel perfect resolution..

Damski

Hello guys.. Sorry for very late post..  We changed a lot of things about this game... The  graphic style is not anymore Super metroid like.. We changed it cartoony  very simplistic  style... It still looks like Snes game but more like Super mario world than Super metroid.. I hope you guys are not  disappointed.. As we are indie + we dont have much of money.. It  does not mean the game will look ugly.. We get much more progress if we keep the graphic simple.. The character uses Sword instead of gun... Its not going to be anything like Castlevania or Darksoul... More like Super metroid inspired world desing progression + Our own identity and design. I will post more things later.

The game  official name is called Dreamonet.

snarfblam

Some of the artwork you've previously posted is pretty damn amazing. Too bad you don't have the resources to keep going in that direction, but at the same time, I'd love to see what else you'll home up with.

* snarfblam still hype

PonchGaming

Well, whatever it is, can't wit for Dreamonet :grin: :bounce:

Damski

Thank u guys I never forget your loyal support  :^_^:

Steel Sparkle

Just read through all this and i wanna say it looks really sweet and your amazing with pixel art.  Good luck with it  :^_^:

Damski

Thank u guys.. WE are still busy to create asset, code stuff, monster etc.. I dont wanna show unfinished work... I Was planning to show stuff when we have done a lot of work....

Here is two couple of monster while we are working with the game.. As you can see the style has changed radically.. Not sure if people like it here :D

Quietus

They both look cute, which is what I assume you're aiming for, but the top one's animation seems too quick or jerky, it's hard to tell what it's actually doing. Walking? Swimming?

Damski

Quote from: Quietus on July 11, 2016, 07:31:04 PM
They both look cute, which is what I assume you're aiming for, but the top one's animation seems too quick or jerky, it's hard to tell what it's actually doing. Walking? Swimming?

:D He is bird and I he is flying.. Yeah I think the bird looks too busy and his hair looks too much like his wings etc.. which might create confusion + his beak looks very unusual.. The birds legs are huge problem!

Damski

I made one fricking tileset which took forever make because there are a lot of animation goings on .. and all of this  for just one fricking  dungeon room which leads to the autumn forest... I need also fix  readability of that bird and  finish tileset for autumn forest which looks very lovely right now.   :colonrightv:   When I finish AUtumn forest tileset! I promise to show our progress! Im perfectionist so  I dont stand to  reveal unfinished stuff.

Watching ShyGuyExpress metroid videos while creating  this game is enjoyable.

snarfblam

Quote from: Damski on July 24, 2016, 11:22:08 AM
When I finish AUtumn forest tileset! I promise to show our progress!

Can't wait! I just hope you guys aren't setting your goals and standards too high. Speaking from experience, starting with a simple plan and expanding your goals as time and availability permit, you're far more likely to see something through to completion than if you start out with ideas of something grand.