News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Corrosive

Started by Tarince, November 28, 2015, 04:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarince

I was told that a thread would be more necessary around about 3/4 hack completion, but I am making one now and updating it as I get stuff done. I am only going to update this as I get whole areas done/major tweaks (enemy strengthening, ASM, GFX, etc) and to show off any special rooms that I think deserve a little recognition.

I have changed the entire thread to a whole new hack, mostly because Predator House is going on a shalf for a good while, while I focus on this for the meantime. I am liking this a lot more, so I am going to focus on just this. Since there is really no point in starting a whole new thread for, yet, another unfinished hack, I am just going to use this as a placeholder. Once I finish this hack, I will proceed with Predator House.

Story:
[spoiler]A secret Pluto-Sized world was found by Samus a few Light Minutes west of Zebes, which was picking up a distress signal. Not knowing what she had stumbled into, she lands in a rather odd world, with lots of crazy scenery and strong animals, most of them looking like the ones from Zebes. Knowing that there is a lot of familiar and unusual stuff here, she begins to come across the pieces of the strange place through past Galactic Fed victims that wandered into the place... or maybe even worked there.[/spoiler]

Completion:
[spoiler]Impact Site: 20%
Ice Habitat: 20%
Ancient Ruins (Where Kraid is housed): 0%
Labs (Where Ridley is housed): 0%
Aqua Habitat (Where Draygon is housed): 0%
Mines: (Where Phantoon is housed): 0%
Sector 0 (Where Mother Brain and the Metroids all are): 0%[/spoiler]

Of course, there will be a lot of tileset changing and music changing. Below are a couple of rooms that I have already completed.

Room in Impact Site
[spoiler][/spoiler]

If you guys have any suggestions/comments/any general feedback at all, please let me know! I, being somewhat an amateur, don't know way too much, but I am learning, so for the people in the IRC that I bug a lot for answers, thanks so much for getting me this far. I know how to do a lot, or at least enough to make a good hack that isn't a half-hack.

One last thing. If anyone wants to help out, I am more than happy to turn this into a collab, or something like that. Even if it is just GFX or something.

Dasfonia

Looks promising, I really like the military idea, it kinda reminds me of Fusion.

Tarince

Quote from: Dasfonia on November 28, 2015, 06:05:21 PM
Looks promising, I really like the military idea, it kinda reminds me of Fusion.
Thanks dude! This is an idea that I have had for a good while now, but it hasn't been until just recently that I actually decided to look into hacking. I have been messing with SMILE since 7th grade and I am a senior now. Never tried to make a full-on hack until now, so I hope everything goes as planned.

Steel Sparkle

Wow that looks nice. Really nice GFX! I love the Abandoned mine GFX :3 this is gonna be something i look forward to.

CaptainIronMan

The rooms you have shown so far look good! The story you came up with seems like it could fit into the official timeline of Metroid. I prefer stories like this (not that original stories are bad). I look forward to seeing how this develops.

RealRed

Your rooms are fantastically simple. Keep it up. If you can though, see if you can reduce the number of repetitions of the same architecture in the same room. Namely, the big blue one with tons of 2x2 platforms. Make it a little more organic.

Tarince

Quote from: RealRed on December 14, 2015, 03:15:35 PM
Your rooms are fantastically simple. Keep it up. If you can though, see if you can reduce the number of repetitions of the same architecture in the same room. Namely, the big blue one with tons of 2x2 platforms. Make it a little more organic.
I am actually planning on changing the tilesets for these rooms. I want the hack to have a bit more of that "organic" look as well. I am working on it. I might even post an update here soon on tileset changes.