News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

jSM Editor

Started by ostehovel, August 30, 2015, 07:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ostehovel

jSM

Small editor made in Java, for editing Samus poses, it supports editing of sprites that makes up Samus.
More features will follow, please give feedback.

Save feature is still not 100% tested out, so save often, and make lots of backups. :nowai:

Download:
See project homepage

Screenshot:

Changelog:
See project homepage

Oste Hovel

Black Falcon

Tried it.
This is awesome so far!

Can't believe people didn't reply here yet, bet they're too busy messing with it to be posting anything.  :heheh:
As soon as there's a stable release, people will go nuts for sure!

Quietus

Quote from: Black Falcon on August 31, 2015, 05:52:57 PMCan't believe people didn't reply here yet, bet they're too busy messing with it to be posting anything.  :heheh:
I don't know what you're talking about... :suspect:

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: ostehovel on August 30, 2015, 07:31:04 AM
jSM

Small editor made in Java, for editing Samus poses, it supports editing of sprites that makes up Samus.
More features will follow, please give feedback.

Gave it a quick test, looks good, 2 questions and one concern.
About the export all poses, do you plan on exporting them into seperate .pngs or one big image ?
Also while testing the program, I noticed you have a level viewer, why does it take 2 minutes to load one level ?
Since smile is the official level editor, I don't think having that feature in your program would be necessary.
Check your program again when your working on it, at times it may take a while to load up something or may freeze and crash.

Other than that I do like what you have going on, I'll check back later on this week,

ostehovel

New version....

v0.8:
- Editing credits entries, added correct palette (thanks squishy_ichigo)
- Change DMA Table / Entry per frame
- Added progressbar for slow opening tabs
- Added more keybindings

ostehovel

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on September 01, 2015, 01:14:47 AM
Gave it a quick test, looks good, 2 questions and one concern.
About the export all poses, do you plan on exporting them into seperate .pngs or one big image ?
Also while testing the program, I noticed you have a level viewer, why does it take 2 minutes to load one level ?
Since smile is the official level editor, I don't think having that feature in your program would be necessary.
Check your program again when your working on it, at times it may take a while to load up something or may freeze and crash.

Other than that I do like what you have going on, I'll check back later on this week,

The reason why it includes a level viewer is because i made the library that reads Super Metroid rom file first, for another project, then i found out maybe i shoud make a editor to make hacking easier.
There is no plan to make it more than a viewer at this time, current plan is to increase overall performance.

Oste Hovel

Black Falcon

Quote from: Quietus on August 31, 2015, 07:29:27 PM
Quote from: Black Falcon on August 31, 2015, 05:52:57 PMCan't believe people didn't reply here yet, bet they're too busy messing with it to be posting anything.  :heheh:
I don't know what you're talking about... :suspect:
Lol nevermind, that was supposed to be a joke, it's lame I know, blame my bad English...

Anyway I was just about to ask where to click to open up the pose tab again, but it was fixed in v0.8 just now.

On a side note, I've also been working on a multipurpose editor, called TAPE (Tilemap, Animation and Projectile Editor)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

But currently I have trouble picking it up again because I can remember having issues with certain gui elements and other things always giving me a major headache.
The Samus sprite editor was one planned feature of it, as well as a multi purpose beam property and trail editor.
However seeing that your editor already covers this part I feel like me working on it is kinda redundant at this point, plus you seem way more skilled in programming than I am.
Keep up the good work!  :^_^:

Quietus

Quote from: Black Falcon on September 01, 2015, 04:10:23 AMLol nevermind, that was supposed to be a joke, it's lame I know, blame my bad English...
There's nothing wrong. It was my roundabout way of agreeing with you, in that I hadn't replied yet because I was fiddling with it. :^_^:

Retroo

ostehovel

New version released v0.9.
Next version will be even better, but first I need to figure out how to recompress...

v0.9:
- Added palette editing
- Added physics editing (small table)
- Working cut, copy & paste for Credits
- Added drag and drop of tabs between linked windows
- Corrected "Save As" bug

Oste Hovel

ostehovel

I changed the way i handle tiles and sprites because they are shared betwen frames and poses, so please give feedback, things that worked in v0.9 and before might be broken now.
Give feedback on how you like the GUI.

Now you can export the tiles for Samus and import them again.
(You can only use colors that is in the selected palette for it to work (the RGB value need to match 100%))

v0.10: (2015.09.11)
- Added import & export of palettes both in TPL and raw format
- Added import & export of tiles from/to PNG image
- Added tile selector for animations
- Added logo editor
- Added options with default scale and open last file on start
- Added offset to sprite name and now it handles sprites that are duplicated between poses
- Added a basic export pose to animated gif option
- Added icons to actions

Dark-SA-X

When you have time you need to check over your editor and verify alot of things.

1.The export all poses don't work, I click export all and nothing else happens nor does it verify a save option.

2.The preview of of the poses, title screen and many others don't work out.
For example, I go from samus gravity suit to samus screw attack, in the preview window it does not load that up.
Instead it changes the palette of samus.

3.The exporting as animated gif sounds like a good idea, however your program isn't gathering all the related poses and exporting all.
For now I suggest you stick with pose at a time.

4.The zoom in doesn't need to be that extensive just enough so you pluck out a pixel or 2 or recolor the image a tad bit.

Other than what I mentioned it looks good, the only thing I'll say now.
Verify how smile imports it gfx and exports its gfx.
Something like that could work out for you in the long run.

ostehovel

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on September 16, 2015, 12:37:04 PM
When you have time you need to check over your editor and verify alot of things.

1.The export all poses don't work, I click export all and nothing else happens nor does it verify a save option.

2.The preview of of the poses, title screen and many others don't work out.
For example, I go from samus gravity suit to samus screw attack, in the preview window it does not load that up.
Instead it changes the palette of samus.

3.The exporting as animated gif sounds like a good idea, however your program isn't gathering all the related poses and exporting all.
For now I suggest you stick with pose at a time.

4.The zoom in doesn't need to be that extensive just enough so you pluck out a pixel or 2 or recolor the image a tad bit.

Other than what I mentioned it looks good, the only thing I'll say now.
Verify how smile imports it gfx and exports its gfx.
Something like that could work out for you in the long run.
1. Is fixed now
2. The box on the top is for selecting palette, it only changes the colors used. To change pose use the dropdown box under it.
3. It does now.
4. You can now change how much it zooms in options

v0.11: (2015.09.21)
- Import and export tiles as raw format
- Added check for PAL rom
- Added setting to change how much it zooms with keys and mouse wheel to options
- Double click in tile selector chooses the selected tile
- Selection is now shown over the tile
- Made changing colors on a palette more intuitive
- Added palettes for Samus at ending
- Correct time between frames when exporting animation
- Added indicator while exporting all poses
- Speed increase...

Oste Hovel

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: ostehovel on September 21, 2015, 01:53:38 AM

1. Is fixed now
2. The box on the top is for selecting palette, it only changes the colors used. To change pose use the dropdown box under it.
3. It does now.
4. You can now change how much it zooms in options

v0.11: (2015.09.21)
- Import and export tiles as raw format
- Added check for PAL rom
- Added setting to change how much it zooms with keys and mouse wheel to options
- Double click in tile selector chooses the selected tile
- Selection is now shown over the tile
- Made changing colors on a palette more intuitive
- Added palettes for Samus at ending
- Correct time between frames when exporting animation
- Added indicator while exporting all poses
- Speed increase...
Oste Hovel

Alright, I'll give it a test and report back soon, by the way why are you choosing java to program this again ?
With all do respect I don't like java script apps mainly for security issues.
I rather it be in c# or c++ windows programming, none the less thanks for doing this.

Infinitys_End

Hi there,
Just wanted to say that this app is flippin' AWESOME!  I'd be more than happy to help you work on this - i.e. write any needed documentation.  It's clear that there's a bit of a learning curve to figure everything out so a manual it's rather important...

In the end - ideally, an artist/hacker would be most inclined to do this as quickly as possible.  If there's a way to just import in already made graphics on a sprite sheet, have this little app divvy them all up and put them in the correct spots, hit save and you're done, the better. (i.e. "Import all poses") Is this legitimately possible or are we going to have to do this 1-frame at a time?
If it already does this...omg i'm sorry but I haven't figured it out yet.  (again, proper documentation would be really beneficial here)  I noticed you can export all the frames, but no way to import it all in?

Lastly, I noticed hitting - makes it zoom out but =(+) did nothing...

EDIT: PS.... :D

There's a weird bug where it's adding pixels above her left shoulder, but partial success is still success!
The best part of this is I didn't have to edit a single line of Hex.  Beautiful, splendid editor....

CrAzY

Holy shit. This application has been sorely needed for the Super Metroid hacking community. Can't wait to finally give it a try now that I got some days off. Keep the updates rolling!