News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Which is better? Super or Prime?

Started by Meeptroid, September 25, 2015, 04:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one is better?

Super Metroid
10 (52.6%)
Metroid Prime
4 (21.1%)
Both Equally?
5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Meeptroid

Which is better, Super Metroid or Prime? Present your answers through the polls and say why in the topic!

NOTE:THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT TOPIC, IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT SOMEONE'S DECISION, SAY IT ELSEWHERE

PKstarship

Well, I love Prime the most. It has been over ten years since its release, but it has graphics that give next-gen games a run for their money. The game inspires many different emotions, from the awe of first landing on Tallon IV, to the fear of navagating Phazon Mines.

The weapons are really awesome, they have a feel of power to them, a power that doesn't seem to exist in the 2D games. There is even a few optional upgrades that just further upgrade her weaponry. The other power-ups are very important to completing the game, like the Space Jump, where you have to get used to the timing of the double jump, where as in Super Metroid you can practically wall-jump everywhere without needing High-Jump.

The bosses are possibly my favorite part, though.  Playing in first-person really lets you gather the size difference between Samus and her enemies, which makes the bosses really awesome. The bosses are very unique in their weaknesses, from Flahgraa needing the sun to keep its power, to Thardus having weak spots only visible by using the Thermal Visor.

Last but not least, the music. It adds an amazing atmosphere to every level. Phendrana Drifts has a really beautiful melody to pair with the beautiful environment, but the theme becomes more upbeat later in Phendrana, when you're doing more platforming and such. Magmoor Caverns has an amazing rendition of the Lower Norfair theme, which make the area feel epic and dangerous at the same time. The depths have of Phazon Mines have ambient noises in place of music, which adds a very eerie feel, reminiscent of the first Metroid and the item rooms. Overall the soundtrack is amazing.

This is one of two games I think is absolutely perfect, along with Earthbound. anyways, that's just my opinion :^_^:

Meeptroid

For me, Super takes the cake, while I won't deny that Prime has the more atmospheric music, that's not to say Super's isn't. Also, I don't completely like how they changed Space Jump in the Prime series, I honestly don't understand why they changed it in the first place, it was perfect as it was. Also, why would you get rid of the Wall Jump? The world may never know. But, I will also admit that both Super and Prime have had a large impact on the Metroid series as a whole, and I cannot deny that both are masterpieces, but for me, my favorite will always be Super. ALLOW THE METROID SERIES TO LIVE ON UNTIL THE END OF TIME! Also, why does everyone hate Other M, I loved how it paid homage to the classics, and the story actually was quite good.. People have gotten maybe a little TOO used to the Prime formula, not a bad thing mind you, just,
people, GIVE OTHER M A CHANCE!

That's all from me, Meeptroid out! 

PonchGaming

To be honest, I have never played a 3d metroid game. Also, if they had the original space jump, it would be game breaking.

Meeptroid

Hey, they could have made a way around that though, like the jumps getting weaker each time, until it was like Other M where you can only space jump forward

Quietus

Super: Because I grew up with it, have played it to death, and I still love it. Not many games can claim that.

Zhs2

Quote from: PonchGaming
To be honest, I have never played a 3d metroid game. Also, if they had the original space jump, it would be game breaking.

Not with the groundbreaking technology of intricately designed levels and invisible walls!

Quietus

Even after they tried to patch out a load of the bugs. :^_^:

personitis

Prime was the first Metroid game I had ever played and got it on sale at a Blockbuster (holyhellawhat?) for something like $10-$15. Super was something I found later down the line after it got released on Wii Virtual Console. Bought that cause by that point I was pretty into the series.

There's a lot of things both of them do great and not a lot either of them do wrong (I will even go as far to say that they are both the same games in quite a few aspects). I can't say which is better, as that's not only a subjective term, but I also hold both of them high up on my list of favorites. Even then, choosing a favorite would be difficult, but because I've put so much time into playing Super, I'd have to say that's probably the one.

RealRed

It's honestly hard to say.
Super Metroid pretty much defined my childhood and still has a lot of significance. If there were something I'd talk about on the subject of growing up, it would be Super Metroid.

From a gameplay/design standpoint, however, I feel as though Prime stands taller. I have played Super Metroid a lot more than I have Prime, but I feel as though the sheer depth and excitement that Prime provides has more impact overall. The main game is extremely well crafted and long, making sequence breaks astoundingly rewarding and fun to pull off. Skipping entire levels (frigate, pirate labs, mines visit 1) or getting plasma beam extremely early... That kind of gratification, I feel, doesn't exist in Super Metroid. Super is full of breaks, but early powerups just don't feel as exciting or empowering. Varia -> Screw attack comes close, but I feel like Super is so loose that "sequence" isn't so relevant. Plus, in Super, the levels you can skip (spore spawn's lair, crocomire's lair) Feel kind of boring anyway. Like, "if you've played this game a couple times before, you might as well just not go here". Heck, "early Spazer" is so frickin' easy, it feels wrong not to have it ASAP. You don't ever feel like, "damn, fuck yeah, I just got this item!" in Super. Maybe my veteran playing streak has left me desensitized, but in a game I know I can beat in one hour no problemo, nothing ever feels too far away. Starting a new game on Super and getting space jump in about 30 minutes doesn't feel nearly as badass as starting a new game on prime and having plasma beam in an hour.

The controls in Prime are absolutely perfect, too...

This might be why I hack Super Metroid. I feel as though it could be added to. The only thing I'd change in Prime would be making plasma beam green. Otherwise, the weapons, levels, goals, and bosses all feel so rightly satisfying. (And the game's sequels feel like proof that prime 1 is perfect.)

(My opinion is based on prime GC NTSC-U and I have not played other versions.)

raygun

though i enjoy Prime's apples, Imna go with Super's oranges.

Mayo-chan

My first experience with Prime was one of the best video game experiences of my life. Nothing has ever scared me more than the blackout in the Phendrana Space Pirate labs. After I beat it I learned about how to sequence break, which was a totally new concept for me, and that got me into playing the game for years afterward.
I got into Super a lot later and it was right after beating NES Metroid (which I hated at the time) and Metroid II, which I thought was amazing for how much it improved upon it. When I played Super and saw how much it improved on Metroid II the same way it did to 1 I was completely at awe and totally got sucked in to the very end.

Prime is one of my favorite games in terms of atmosphere and exposition and Super is one of my favorites in terms of level design. Both have amazing character progression and excellent environments. Prime has shit bosses and Super has awkward physics that I dislike equally, and both suffered from having awkward controls in the long run. Both have tricks that parallel each other very well (arm pumping vs. L-jumping) and are amazing speedruns to watch and practice. I can pop in either game and spend an entire afternoon having a blast revisiting the worlds of those games, whether I'm going for a special challenge run or just playing it as intended.

You can see what I'm getting at, I love both games equally <3