News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Revamp of the Week?

Started by Vismund Cygnus, January 31, 2015, 09:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vismund Cygnus

Given the existence of this topic, I think it's pretty clear that some members of the community would like to see some changes made to Room of the Week's format.
As such, this thread can live here for a little while, in which I will ask:
What would you like to see changed about Room of the Week?
Before posting in here, try to keep these points in mind:

• Keep your posts simple.
That is, try to leave it at what your point is, e.g. "Allow for inclusion of FX1", rather than posting a giant essay on why you believe the change is needed.

• Don't shitpost and argue in here.
This thread is for ideas alone, leave arguing to the other thread. Anything not directly relevant to the question asked will be straight up deleted.

• Feel free to post something someone else has already said.
Given that the point of this is to see what people want added, having ten of you all agree that, for example, any in-game FX1 should be allowed in screenshots would be immensely helpful. Don't feel like you shouldn't post your idea just because someone else has.

So with that out of the way, post in here about what suggestions you have for revamping Room of the Week. If there's a clear consensus on a given point it'll be implemented for a trial run of sorts, and anything else will probably be taken to a poll.
Remember that this thread is for the posting of ideas only. Feel free to discuss what people bring up over here, but keep this thread junk-free, please.

Vismund Cygnus

I'll get the ball rolling and hope that others post stuff here too:

• Change the format from weekly to bi-weekly, with a 10-day submission period and a 4-day voting period.
  • Allow for the inclusion of any FX1 present in the room, provided it can be backed up with screenshots/vids as evidence.
  • Allow for enemies/items to be included to help enhance in demonstrating the flow of a room.

(I may edit this later)

RealRed

• Extended submission and voting time so contests aren't so constant, breif, and small.
  • Keep the limit on one room per week, but remove the limit of one screenshot per week. Allow for media of the room to be more than just SMILE's level to bitmap. (Although making one would be recommended in order to show the entire room.)
  • Allow for enemies/items to be included to help enhance in demonstrating the flow of a room. (ie. a screenshot of the editor rather than the editor's exported image.)

Grimlock

Note: Keep in mind SM is not the only game with ROTW submissions. (Allowing too many SM features will give certain advantages over other game submissions).

My thoughts: keep it simple, as is.  Encourage people to post greater detail in their responses.

Jefes idea: summit rooms during the week, vote on the weekends.

Alternate thread/contest idea: (as posted in other thread)
Create a showcase thread for each month.  You post any accomplishment you feel particularly proud of, people can post regarding what has been submitted and vote for the top 3 showcase submissions for the month.  The winners would be put up in a thread similar to how the winners of ROTW currently are. (This would be in addition to ROTW, not intended as a replacement).

Alisa Orlova

•   Add a new item to vote "Against all!/No winner". Reason. Currently, people can post anything what they want even if they clearly understand that their work is not the best. No harm in try. I guess if we will block this way, it will raise works quality.
•   To establish an award for "best analysis!". I mean, encourage people somehow.
•   Participation in the contest is paid. If anyone want put they room in this competition they must pay 0.x$. After we get a winner, all money will be split like 2/3 will get a winner and 1/3 to person who made a best review. It very easy can be realize by WebMoney.

snarfblam

Quote from: Bloodsonic on January 31, 2015, 11:56:27 PM

• Keep the limit on one room per week, but remove the limit of one screenshot per week. Allow for media of the room to be more than just SMILE's level to bitmap. (Although making one would be recommended in order to show the entire room.)
I'm for this.

Quote from: IRC
Vismund> Let's be honest here: In about a week I'm probably going to both change RotW's format and add this other "contest" regardless of what the community says

Then I assume you'll start updating RotW as well, yes?

Vismund Cygnus

Okay.

So, we're in the 3rd month of RotM now and it's fair to say the entry rate and general enthusiasm over it has been rather dismal, to say the least. Clearly there's got to be a better way to do this, and while I personally don't think the solution is to change it back to the way it was (you'll recall we changed it for a reason), however I'd rather bring it to the community to see what you guys think we should do. I'll update this thread with a poll of some alternative ideas for Room of the Month, and I encourage you to leave your suggestions here and I'll add them to it as well. Keep discussion of people's ideas to this thread, however I do encourage arguments discussion as I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on what's going to happen and why/why not.

EDIT: Because polls aren't allowed in this board, I posted this here and encourage you to vote/discuss in that thread, and keep this thread for ideas on what you think should change about the contest.