News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid mOTHER Visibility Redesign

Started by metalmight, August 17, 2015, 02:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalmight

Edit (2/21/2020): I recorded a video of me doing a full playthrough with commentary. To view it click the spoiler button below. VV
[spoiler]https://youtu.be/lS0KW8ZjtxI[/spoiler]

Edit (2/20/2020): Recently I opened Editroid and started editing this thing again. The results are a more compact layout perfect for speedrunners who want to minimize backtracking. Check out the results for yourself!

This mod uses Metroid mOTHER as it's base (credit dACE a.k.a Nitendo).  It combines 3 previous mods: Metroid + Saving (credit snarfblam), MDBtroid (credit Infinity's End from Metroid Database), and 'Roidz (credit DemickXII).

My objectives were: make all secrets discernible through visual cues, remove false visual cues, and rebalancing difficulty and flow through some enemy removals and relocating some enemys and items.  The map was mostly kept the same except for a couple of new offshoots in Brinstar, a bunch removed from Norfair with the items being relocated.

Let me know what you all think!

(Note: A jpeg map is included in the zip.)

Screenshots:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

PonchGaming

Why does mine start with a missile pack, morph ball and bombs, and long beam plus an energy tank well, at least the first two files

edit: nevermind, it was just my emulator. downloaded another one, it didnt have those at the very start. Yay

edit 2: is it just my emulator, or is the map inaccurate.

metalmight

Quote from: PonchGaming on August 17, 2015, 04:00:56 PM
edit 2: is it just my emulator, or is the map inaccurate.
Well like I said in the first post, there are some changes to the map in Brinstar.
Quote from: metalmight on August 17, 2015, 02:03:52 PM
The map was mostly kept the same except for a couple of new offshoots in Brinstar.

PonchGaming

snarfblam

I made this publicly available just in case anyone wanted to use Metroid + Saving with any kind of custom map.

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/938/

As far as screenshots go, you'll need to provide your own hosting and use IMG tags

[spoiler=Screenies]

[/spoiler]

metalmight

Quote from: snarfblam on August 17, 2015, 08:58:45 PM
I made this publicly available just in case anyone wanted to use Metroid + Saving with any kind of custom map.

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/938/

That is awesome!  Thank you so much Snarfblam!

Quote from: snarfblam on August 17, 2015, 08:58:45 PM
As far as screenshots go, you'll need to provide your own hosting and use IMG tags

Thank you for posting them for me this time!  You are amazing!  I will research picture hosting!  :^_^:

Edit: I tried using the Map Editor and... I have no idea...  How do you use it?  Sorry for my ignorance.

Quietus

Quote from: metalmight on August 18, 2015, 12:35:34 PMI tried using the Map Editor and... I have no idea...  How do you use it?  Sorry for my ignorance.
See how you get on with the Crash Course, and come back if you need more help. :^_^:

biospark

Quote from: Quietus on August 18, 2015, 01:56:59 PM
See how you get on with the Crash Course, and come back if you need more help. :^_^:

I think he's referring to the tool specifically for editing the pause map. The crash course is only for Editroid.

snarfblam

For the map editor, click "Open" and find your ROM. On the right you should see your map, and on the left you should see a tile set. If you don't see the map tiles in the left, click the up/down arrows for CHR bank until they show up. You might need to then re-open the ROM to update the map on the right.

Once you have the map loaded, click map tiles on the left to select them, and click on the right to draw. You'll have to forgive the clumsy interface. It's a quick and dirty thing I threw together to make the hack.

JAM

metalmight

Quote from: JAM on August 19, 2015, 12:04:52 AM
By the way, mOTHER is on the main site. When admins will approve it, LOL.
http://beta.metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=303
I wonder why it wasn't approved?

metalmight

This version has incorporates the map changes I've made (minimal though they are) into the in game map!  I've made some visual and difficulty tweaks in this version.  Getting better at this!  Check it out and tell me what you think!

metalmight

Quote from: snarfblam on August 18, 2015, 06:07:35 PM
click map tiles on the left to select them, and click on the right to draw.

FYI Snarfy, I couldn't use it that way.  I discovered that if I right click on a tile in the map itself, then I could left click to place it somewhere else in the map.

Grimlock

Quote from: metalmight on August 19, 2015, 05:03:05 PM
Quote from: snarfblam on August 18, 2015, 06:07:35 PM
click map tiles on the left to select them, and click on the right to draw.

FYI Snarfy, I couldn't use it that way.  I discovered that if I right click on a tile in the map itself, then I could left click to place it somewhere else in the map.

I had an issue with the map editor about a year and a half ago and used a similar work around:

[spoiler]
Quote from: Grimlock on April 29, 2014, 09:44:45 AM
Quote from: snarfblam on March 15, 2013, 06:30:32 PM
Here's a little utility to edit the map displayed in Metroid + Saving. Might come in handy for anybody who wants to include Metroid + Saving in his hack.

[spoiler]http://snarfblam.com/files/MetMapMaker1.0.zip
[/spoiler]

I was able to patch Odb's IPS to my mod and now I'm working on getting the mini map set up correctly.
There seems to be a bug in the graphical selection window on the left side.  There is an offset that progressively increases the further you try to select a tile from the upper left.  Here is what I mean:
CHR Bank 0 (the one with the number, text and title for this example, results for the first 10 tiles clicked on)
click on 0 - "0" tile selected - Offset 0 tiles
click on 1 - "1" tile selected - Offset 0 tiles
click on 2 - "3" tile selected - Offset 1 tiles
click on 3 - "4" tile selected - Offset 1 tiles
click on 4 - "5" tile selected - Offset 1 tiles
click on 5 - "7" tile selected - Offset 2 tiles
click on 6 - "8" tile selected - Offset 2 tiles
click on 7 - "9" tile selected - Offset 2 tiles
click on 8 - "B" tile selected - Offset 3 tiles
click on 9 - "C" tile selected - Offset 3 tiles

click on the lower right (last tile FF (black) and the offset is 53 tiles (q) (at its worst point)

So there must be a minor error in the coding that tells it which tile is selected by which location clicked.  I can probably make it work but it'll be difficult.

UPDATE:

I worked it out as is.  I'm right clicking to select the tiles already in the original map and using those to build the new map.  I managed to select a few tiles to use as counters to make sure I am building the map correctly.  I have Editroid open to use as a guild for screen placement.  As I go I am placing copies of the tiles to the side so I don't remove them from the map until I'm ready (so I don't have to try and select them on the left).  This should work for anyone else trying to use this utility as is.

Screenshot:

[/spoiler]

Mon732

Quote from: metalmight on August 19, 2015, 04:54:07 PM
Quote from: JAM on August 19, 2015, 12:04:52 AM
By the way, mOTHER is on the main site. When admins will approve it, LOL.
http://beta.metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=303
I wonder why it wasn't approved?

All hacks submitted have to be approved first. It's to make sure there's things like screenshots and a valid download.
As for why, chances are it hasn't been looked at yet.

snarfblam

Quote from: Grimlock on August 19, 2015, 06:01:53 PM
I had an issue with the map editor about a year and a half ago and used a similar work around:

Well, that sheds some light on the issue. I'm guilty of shitty high-DPI support, which is the most likely culprit. Windows 8 and up has improved handling of software that doesn't properly support high-DPI, but there's no substitute for doing it right. I just wish they would add some kind of easy-to-access high-DPI testing in Visual Studio.

metalmight

This thing just keeps getting better!  Now if I could just figure out how to make items stop flashing. :^_^:

There's over 30 screenshots in the zip; also for those that prefer to use the lua script I always include a jpg map so you can know where my map deviates from the original.

(I don't have my own photo hosting.  Does anyone know what the best one is to use for free, that works well and easily with this forum?  Could I upload pics to Facebook and use that?)

(I don't know where to post this question but, is there a way to get the in play corner map working with this thing?)

biospark

Quote from: metalmight on August 20, 2015, 05:05:17 PM
(I don't have my own photo hosting.  Does anyone know what the best one is to use for free, that works well and easily with this forum?  Could I upload pics to Facebook and use that?)

I use imgur.com

PonchGaming

How do you get the timer and top right minimap? I know it has something to do with lua script, but i dont know how

metalmight

Quote from: PonchGaming on August 22, 2015, 07:53:38 PM
How do you get the timer and top right minimap? I know it has something to do with lua script, but i dont know how
Download it at:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21905211/Metroid.lua
Use it with:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fceultra/files/Binaries/2.2.2/fceux-2.2.2-win32.zip/download

Remember, with MMVR the lua map will differ a little from the changes I've made.  Refer to the jpeg map in the zip to see my version of the map.

metalmight

I've altered the Ridley encounter so that there is no flicker!  Use the wave beam and see for yourself!  (Known issue: the boss music does not play so I changed the music to the creepy music.)

Grimlock

Quote from: metalmight on August 23, 2015, 03:35:20 PM
I've altered the Ridley encounter so that there is no flicker!  Use the wave beam and see for yourself!  (Known issue: the boss music does not play that I know of.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "no flicker", is it the boss sprite that was flickering because of the projectile sprites (too many sprites displaying)?

metalmight

Quote from: Grimlock on August 23, 2015, 03:40:12 PM
Quote from: metalmight on August 23, 2015, 03:35:20 PM
I've altered the Ridley encounter so that there is no flicker!  Use the wave beam and see for yourself!  (Known issue: the boss music does not play that I know of.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "no flicker", is it the boss sprite that was flickering because of the projectile sprites (too many sprites displaying)?
Yes the doors and Ridley sprite flicker with the projectiles and Samus's beam shots all on screen.

PonchGaming

The lua script is not working. It works for everything but anything that has metroid plus saving. Tried it on metroid omega, database, and original, but doesnt work on anything with saving. Redownloaded rom, emulator, and script, but doesnt work. Please Help :cry: