News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Mission Rescue Version 2.5

Started by Mettyk25jigsaw, August 16, 2015, 08:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aran;Jaeger

No, what I mean is basically: In this unchanged previous version of this hack, would it be possible to get that Mega Racheta? If it is impossible to get this Mega Racheta without changing the ROM via hex editor or patch or anything like that, then it is fine and i can continue without it. I do not have a problem about not getting this item, if it is impossible to get it anyways. Though if there was a way to get it (without changing the hack version), then I´d be interested in knowing how to do so.

Mettyk25jigsaw

It would be if I accidentally changed the item event to be set to an existing item bit but because I set it by accident to a non existing (unused), it would be impossible. Actually no it wouldn't be come to think of it, instead of changing the rom or ips patch, you could change a byte in the sram save file so that it recognises the 8000 bit as set. Then it would work. Let me know if you are interested and I will work out which byte it is...
   But really, changing that one byte in your rom or ips patch won't do anything bad to your current game, but it will fix the problem...

Aran;Jaeger

Alright. Thanks, that is all I wanted to know and clears the situation up.

JAM

Quote from: Mettyk25jigsaw on April 14, 2016, 02:12:18 AM
There is still more things to come for V2.5...
I'm still waiting for you to install at least [spoiler]the white doors. Yes, these white doors.[/spoiler]

Mettyk25jigsaw

Sorry, it's taking a long time, but I haven't been able to spend as much time on it as I would have liked cause I have started up voluntary work off my own back and lots of other things are currently happening in my life. So much so that it may still be another six months,  :cry:...Yet my second hack I haven't worked on for a very long time at all and has been put on hold for a few months, my second hack will probably be later than metroidmst hack in 2032, if you get what I mean...Although my first hack was exactly 4 years and 1 day...
   Sorry for the disappointment Jam but you might get the material ready for white doors within 3 months (hopefully)...

Foxhound3857

It's pretty sad, but I'm already stuck, ten minutes into the game.

[spoiler]Got my three Racheta's, and cannot figure out where to go. They don't seem to get me anywhere. They don't open green doors. They don't open red doors. They don't open yellow doors. They don't open white doors. So what the hell DO they open?

When you can't even find Morph Ball...[/spoiler]

Edit: Nevermind, progress. It was one of 'those' things.

Aran;Jaeger

Foxhound3857, for sanity's sake I really hope you took the ''easy'' version. Not due to skill or mechanic puzzles, but due to finding things and having the hint room for orientation. One also absolutely should read through the readme, trust me. Finishing even the easy version will surely take about 1 month or more. Good luck.

Foxhound3857

Quote from: Aran;Jaeger on November 07, 2016, 08:30:14 PM
Foxhound3857, for sanity's sake I really hope you took the ''easy'' version. Not due to skill or mechanic puzzles, but due to finding things and having the hint room for orientation. One also absolutely should read through the readme, trust me. Finishing even the easy version will surely take about 1 month or more. Good luck.

Nope. I'm playing Normal mode. I was actually going to move up to 2.3 Hard Mode instead once I found out about it. Now I'm reconsidering it.

Luchere Beam is utterly worthless, everything does high damage, and I don't have enough Racheta's to put them to use against anything (especially since nothing drops refills frequently enough).

I've got Bombs, and it seems I really only have one path I can take that isn't a death sentence. But the lack of Wall Jump and IBJ is taking away so much of the fun.

Beardy

I started playing this a few weeks ago and stopped because I got to the Morph Ball room and couldn't figure out what to do. Is there a consistent solution here? [spoiler]I can't get these reflectors to bounce a missile multiple times, if that's what I'm supposed to do.[/spoiler]

Foxhound3857

Quote from: Beardy on November 08, 2016, 12:09:55 AM
I started playing this a few weeks ago and stopped because I got to the Morph Ball room and couldn't figure out what to do. Is there a consistent solution here? [spoiler]I can't get these reflectors to bounce a missile multiple times, if that's what I'm supposed to do.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]You have to follow the missile down so it can hit the blocks and open the door, before it scrolls off-screen. Fire it off and then run left and drop down as it goes through the reflectors, so it doesn't despawn by going off screen.[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

This is a strange game.  I played an early version and got a few hours in but didn't like it at all but it seems like a lot has changed so now I'm waiting for the "final."  Hopefully that one will be worth what sounds like a substantial time investment.

chitose

The morphball puzzle at the start is exactly the kind of thing I dislike. Locking the player in a room and forcing them to make a pinpoint missile shot, AND have picture perfect movement, just so the missile doesn't go offscreen and blow up before it reaches the door. This is stupid for such an early point in the game, and on a "normal" difficulty hack. I nearly dropped it because of that ridiculous puzzle. Never had a problem like this with other hacks I've played.

I'll keep playing it though, because it still might turn out to be good.

EDIT: http://puu.sh/ttcYv.png http://puu.sh/ttd3C.png

I'm stuck at this point. I can't jump back up the morph ball corridor that I used to get down to this area, and the door here is not one I'm able to get through right now. Every other possible route is blocked by a gate. What do I do?

Aran;Jaeger

Quote from: chitose on January 20, 2017, 11:33:45 AM
I'll keep playing it though, because it still might turn out to be good.
It will not. chitose, trust me, it is for the best to stop there than to try to continue. There will be dozens of situations in which you are stuck or seem to be stuck later on. I do appreciate Mettyk25jigsaw's positive and helpful attitude, don't get me wrong, but if Mettyk25jigsaw (or anyone) wants some more detailed feedback/information on that statement, here is a link to Paragusrant's Tourian escape of the easy version of this hack ( https://www.twitch.tv/paragusrants/v/96431726 ), since apparently, the other vods of the playthrough are gone, but the playthrough (as expected) still took weeks even though I provided some rough hints here and there whenever it felt senseful for the stream experience.

In regards to what to do to progress in your case here, with respect to this point of reference, http://puu.sh/ttd3C.png , you want to go back to the room to the right with the Rio and the morphball tunnel, and at the very bottom right of this room near the bottom right door shell, there is 2 blocks to the left of the shell in the ceiling some shot blocks that one can open up and jump into the ceiling which is a slope-elevator back up.

In fact, during my first playthrough, I got stuck at this very same place and messed around with bombjump mechanics for so long that I figured out a way to do IBJ in this hack, and was at first dazzled and thought figuring IBJ out at this point might even have been intended, considering the puzzle required for Morphball, but it turned out to have a more disappointing, hidden solution instead.

altoiddealer

Quote from: Aran;Jaeger on January 20, 2017, 03:46:29 PMhere is a link to Paragusrant's Tourian escape of the easy version of this hack ( https://www.twitch.tv/paragusrants/v/96431726 )
Oh wow thank you for posting this - playing this hack has been on my to-do list for awhile now... I am promptly moving it to my to-don't list

chitose

Quote from: Aran;Jaeger on January 20, 2017, 03:46:29 PM
It will not. chitose, trust me, it is for the best to stop there than to try to continue. There will be dozens of situations in which you are stuck or seem to be stuck later on. I do appreciate Mettyk25jigsaw's positive and helpful attitude, don't get me wrong, but if Mettyk25jigsaw (or anyone) wants some more detailed feedback/information on that statement, here is a link to Paragusrant's Tourian escape of the easy version of this hack ( https://www.twitch.tv/paragusrants/v/96431726 )

Well, this is actually good news. Now I can go straight to Rogue Dawn.

Mettyk25jigsaw

Released Final Version...White doors are now any weapon doors, since what I have done here fixes bug that causes any beam door gfx to screw up when collecting certain items like missiles, p bombs etc...However doing this caused another bug which I then used door fade asm patch to erase this bug, now is bug free...
         Fixed a bug in morph ball room at beginning of game, 1st reflector is now easier to hit...Thence forth making morph ball room really easy to do now. which it was suppose to be for a while now...
         Some other small changes...

Jam, If you are reading this, I am sorry but I can't do anything more on this hack for you to add to, because on my end, I haven't the time to work on this anymore, while as I am more dedicated to my 2nd hack as of now, my first hack is taking up too much time with fiddly bits while I am doing a lot of other things in my life now that I previously was not doing and my 2nd hack will not be ready for probably at least a dozen years...As I plan to make it a little bigger in area than first and I don't have as much time up my sleeves...
   Anyway it is in great working order now anyway and the stuff you were going to add were great things, but are things that are not mandatory...

Downloads on first post...

LinkaMeister

So, I just killed spore spawn. What am I supposed to do in the next room with the shaktool, I'm stuck in the room with no way out of it?

Mettyk25jigsaw

It's Quite easy to get out of the room, just download the zip file and follow the arrows...The spore spawn room has a chiller beam door which you can escape out of because you would have to have the chiller beam by now...

As for what to do in that room, you can't do anything in that room other than collect a racheta at the moment probably, because you need to also defeat crocomire so that you can get to a bomb slot nearby crocomire to make door above shaktool area be useful...This door in spore spawn room will help you proceed further in the game somewhere in game once it is made useful...

I have checked easy version, seems to be no error, so unless you are playing a harder version you should be fine.

PS, That super missile icon amongst the arrows is really a chiller beam tile and not a super missile...

PHOSPHOTiDYL

I got some code for your hack to fix the save file problem when hiding the intro...
Will work on all hacks loading new save files @ old file save stations.

LoROM

;//[HIDE INTRO & ALL 3 SAVES WORK]
org $82EEB4 ;//($64 byte routine to $82EF17)
STZ $0DE2 ;//which screen during loading
STZ $079F ;//region number (this was debug)
STZ $078B ;//save in area (this was BEQ $05 for skip intro)
BRA $02 ;//skip the nops lol
NOP : NOP ;//code cleanup

org $82EEC1
BRA $33 ;//this was BEQ $33, now force skip intro

theuprising

I am beyond confused, the Easy Mode has a save file in it that starts from the beginning but with Morph Ball, Missiles, and an energy tank unlocked. If you don't use that save file, I haven't noticed a difference between Easy and Normal mode other than the hint room is different (but I only got to the first save), what is happening?? How do I know I am in fact playing the Easy mode?

Looks really promising so far, but then again just starting :) Just want to make damn sure I'm on easy mode, terrified of normal mode if people are having that much trouble with it in the above posts

Mettyk25jigsaw

If I put a save file inside zip file, then that was an accident, just delete sram save file and start from beginning...There is indeed other differences between normal and easy, the biggest one being enemy hits to kill and enemy damage...If you have only got to the first save then you wouldn't have noticed too much difference because there are not any enemies until such time as you get the morph (except for the one enemy before the morph room.)

theuprising

Oh if its mostly enemy damage I might do a normal run, I was worried mostly about exploration difficulty, usually I find with metroid rom hacks that the fighting is vanilla+1 (no challenge at all) while the exploration is vanilla+900000000

piush

I decided to try the final version (normal mode ) of this game. But I still get white door caps instead of any beam color caps. Do I have the latest version. Thank you.

Mettyk25jigsaw

White door caps are the new color for any beam doors, for both easy and normal, they were both reddy pink before. it is the latest version.

piush

I have been playing the final version. I played this game when it first came out. I like how polished it is now from the work you and JAM did to it. I think you changed the flow but I could be wrong. With the use of wave beam gates and door caps requiring items you prevent someone from entering an area to early. My memory may be wrong of how it was or I could be completely wrong lol. Anyway Metty I think this a good hack. You say your next hack will be out around 2032. I am 57 so I may not get to play that one. Take care.