News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Beta Analysis

Started by CrAzY, July 01, 2014, 10:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrAzY

Quote from: JAM on June 05, 2015, 05:54:01 PM
I just think that bridge should be longer and it should let (in theory) walk through it to the other side. But of course, Crocomiro is blocking your way.

Yeah, I reverted his room back to it's default state for now. I'll leave that for later if I decide to do anything with it. There was probably no point for them to make the bridge extend all the way if it all crumbled at the end of the fight anyway, as you would barely be able to see that, & it probably wouldn't look as good.

Don't want to disappoint you, but I have to. Reason of making this room so tall is scrolling sky code.

Haha, that actually doesn't disappoint me at all! I love when more reasonable explanations are available, & that one makes the most sense of all.

It's a perfect place for a Spider Ball or Boost Ball. Every time you exit from this small tunnel, you'll fall unless setting a bomb and perform a single DBJ with good timing. And imagine you have a Boost Ball. You'll boost and have enough speed to not fall back to the shaft. Same with Spider Ball, but in that case you'll just roll though the ceiling.

Great point! I still wonder if Spider Ball or even a Boost Ball was ever planned at all, or even worked on, but that does seem like a great place for it to be. To be honest, the reason I moved the Long Beam from 79A90 was because I thought it would be a better spot for a Boost Ball. If the Boost Ball could break bombable blocks, then exiting that room would be pretty cool. That, mixed with the fact a Spider Ball seems like it would be too game-breaking for Super Metroid.
Maybe those weird downward pushing treadmills on the ceilings of some Maridian rooms were there to push down a Spider Balling Samus so that you actually had to use the Grapple Beam/wall jump method(?). Now my mind is just all over the place.
I am still moving the Long Beam back to 79A90 where I originally had it, since both you & Person agree that it'd be a good spot.

1:06 without 100%? Any% run? It's defenitely possible and could be done in 90-s.

Oh, no doubt. Especially if you helped program the game, you'd definitely know how to beat it at least semi-quick and with some skills. I was just contesting that mid-air morphing was rarely performed. That mixed with the fact that auto-morphing after wall jumping was programmed in. Even as a kid, I never needed Spring Ball for things like the Etecoon PB.

Good idea for sabotage, but it's so cruel. 199 Energy without any suits except Power is so much. You will simply fry in about 2.25 seconds in the acid. If there is lava, then it'll be 4.5 seconds. I'd do that on hack, but I doubt that the devs were doing that.

Haha, yeah, I seriously doubt they were doing that either, just because it would be way too deadly. That was just the best reason I could think of for the unused state mixed with the possibility of that being the first Energy Tank collectable in game, & that's still a stretch.

Wow... I did not even thought about of that. Most likely, it what they planned. And all they it is simply close door after you forever. In my hard hack I used these states to force player to defeat blue sidehoppers to proceed (to force player to collect all Super Missiles). And after returning to the room there'll be no sidehoppers. But your idea is the best!

That was another pet peeve of mine with Super Metroid, the fact that if you saved before Mother Brain, you were trapped in Tourian forever. I like your idea of being forced to kill those Sidehoppers, though.
Maybe I'll try to keep Tourian open for the hack & utilize those events.

Here's something I am have been meaning to ask. Is the Bombable Air tile type ever used in-game? I don't think so, & I wonder why that is? Guess they just never found the appropriate place to use it. I think it is under-utilized in hacks, as well.

Too bad Jathys never released his Spider Ball. Would like to do a play through with it & see how it changes everything.

Quote from: JAM on June 04, 2015, 04:37:45 PM

What else... Have you noticed that wines in green Brinstar have the faded tiles never used in the game? Probably developers wanted to all green Brinstar looks faded after defeating the Spore Spawn (not just the Spore Spawn room).

I always thought these were a copy of the slightly different colored vines used for Kraid's room? But I just checked, & they definitely aren't. Would be cool if Spore Spawn did trigger the change around the planet. Wonder if he was supposed to change green Brinstar to pink? Nah..

Another tiny thing I just noticed. Image 1 in my collection (the title screen) has a small difference. The base to the tank containing the Super Metroid extends through the floor in the retail, stops at the floor in the beta. Noticed while editing the "Ver. 2.00" string.
Also, it used to have a registered trademark symbol instead of the plain TM symbol.

RealRed

I'm 99% certain bombable and shootable air tiletypes are never used in-game.
A funny quirk about them is that they re-appear as shot/bomb blocks if you don't set them to BTS 04. Looks pretty ugly.

There's also a tiletype, Air??? that isn't used for anything. Can't say I've tried it, anyway, No clue what it does.