News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] MINI v2.2

Started by Metaquarius, May 30, 2015, 12:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metaquarius

Super Metroid MINI is a mini-hack made by Mr. Hiryu released in December, 28th 2009.
For those who don't know, Mr. Hiryu is the author of SM Exercice and Paddle. And this time around isn't different as tiling is often weird. Latest update on his website is v1.4 but still riddled with problems and particularily, wrong door transitions which makes the game unbeatable.

While looking into SMILE for a fix, I discovered plenty of unused room design he made but unaccessible during normal gameplay. So I spent a whole week editing the hack and it's twice bigger now ! -not sure it should be called "MINI" anymore! ;) Some rooms were partially or completely remade cuz serious garbage (landing site...) There's a lot more items to collect too. The hack is not hard, wall-jumping is required in some places though. Besides, you can break into Lower Norfair or Wrecked Ship early if you want some challenge, the hack is very open once you get Supers.

Download : http://beta.metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?hack_id=309

Gameplay changes :
- Spin jump restart
- Speedboost in morph ball form (requires SpringBall & Speedbooster)
- No shinespark draining
- Enlarged X-ray scope vision
- Faster elevators
- Faster beam rate
- Keep momentum after landing

Remaining issues :
- Map icons and items dots are wrong
- A few backgrounds are broken
- Many tiling errors...

Credits :
- Sky Scrolling fix (PJBoy)
- Zero Mission morph ball (Crys)
- "Floating spin" (Mr. Shylph)
- Mr. Hiryu for obvious reason (v1.4 can be download here : http://www.geocities.jp/hiryumeto/hack.html)
- Myself for fixing lotsa stuff

MetroidMst

Did a blind race of this last night, and I have to say I had some fun with it. Some of that may be due to racing it with other people and hearing things, but I still think it is probably worth a shot to try out. It isn't going to amaze you with anything, and some parts of the hack aren't very clear, but it was still enjoyable.

JAM

Quote from: Metaquarius on May 30, 2015, 12:35:14 PM
Super Metroid MINI is a mini-hack made by Mr. Hiryu released in December, 28th 2013.
For those who don't know, Mr. Hiryu is the author of SM Exercice and Paddle, Mini is actually his latest (known) hack. And this time around isn't different as tiling is often weird. Latest version on his site is v1.4 but still riddled with problems and particularily, wrong door transitions which makes the game unbeatable.
You'll surprise but this hack was made aegis ago. First version was released in the end of December of 2008. Version 1.3 was the last.

5 years later...

Author was back to hacking and trying to release the fixed version. About 10% of bugs were fixed, but this hack is not beatable. Mostly, everything he did is placing square slopes when needed, installed scrolling sky fix patch and things like this.

Quote from: Metaquarius on May 30, 2015, 12:35:14 PM
While looking into SMILE for a fix, I discovered plenty of unused room design he made but unaccessible during normal gameplay. So I spent a whole week editing the hack and it's twice bigger now ! -not sure it should be called "MINI" anymore! ;)
Thanks for the job you did. I started doing the same, but got lazy after fixing 4 new Tourian rooms. By the way, why didn't you include them, but also removed a lot of vanilla rooms with small design changes?

Metaquarius

Looks like I managed to misread the README somehow, it says 2009 by the way. Thanks for pointing that out.

QuoteThanks for the job you did. I started doing the same, but got lazy after fixing 4 new Tourian rooms. By the way, why didn't you include them, but also removed a lot of vanilla rooms with small design changes?
Many of these unused rooms were also barely edited so I didn't feel the need to include them. There's actually two or three rooms accessible in v1.4 which were scrapped in favor of unused rooms (except for Tourian)

Regarding Tourian, this place is boring, that's why this area had been shortened. That's a debatable choice, but considering I wanted Ice Beam to be optionnal, I think this is better this way.

Tomtroid

This was an interesting hack in my opinion. I'm surprised the Alternate Zebes patch was used. Sadly, some rooms seem to lead to a permastuck area which isn't on the map. Still, it was a interesting hack.

DonnyDonovan

I'm playing this and like all hacks by the Paddle/SevenStar guy, it's infuriating in places, terrible in places, and strangely fun, weird and engrossing in places.  There's a fair bit of content here (it really isn't "Mini") and I'm surprised it's not getting a little more attention.  I do have a question for anyone who is paying attention though -- where is the gravity suit?  Just a hint as to the area would be fine.  Maridia is the only part of the map I haven't explored (including Lower Norfair which is mostly cleared out) but I can't get very far in there without it. 

MetroidMst

Gravity isn't too far removed from it's normal location.

DonnyDonovan

Found it, thanks.  Had been to that room before I had the needed item and then forgot that was the item I needed.

GoldenTorizo

So far the hack is very good, however I can't find Grapple Beam anywhere.

MetroidMst

Grapple is also surprisingly close to where you would expect it to be, though it may take a little more attention to things when entering a room.

GoldenTorizo

Quote from: MetroidMst on June 06, 2015, 06:44:19 PM
Grapple is also surprisingly close to where you would expect it to be, though it may take a little more attention to things when entering a room.
What?!  :?:

JAM

I'll just leave it here.
Map of Tourian, including all rooms (except entrace) from version I started to fix.

This is what I meant about 4 new rooms.