News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

SM hacks that are better than the orignal

Started by Axatax, June 08, 2015, 11:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheAnonymousUser

Quote from: Vahn54 on July 06, 2015, 05:37:55 AM
3 best so far
2. Redesign- I would love to see a Redesign 2
Everyone else will beg to differ :colonrightv: (does axeil count as redesign 2?)

3. AM2R-game just has some difficulty issues...otherwise it's a great metroid title
That's not even a metroid hack...

2. Stardust- missing E-tank glitch..no thanks
Probably what jordan said. Item indexes can be used in some funky ways.
(pro-tip: don't speedrun stardust, we tried that once...)

Still haven't tried Cliffhanger, Hyper Metroid, Ice Metal, Return to Zebes, and others though
Unless you know a lot of the super metroid tech, cliffhanger's not a good place to start. Hyper metroid and ice-metal however, I say go for it (if open ended hacks are your thing)

Quietus

I'm also intrigued to hear what the missing energy tank thing is about. I suspect it is the intended index tweak.

Hrith

Redesign is the only ROM hack I'd consider better than the original. Redesign is the only game that has made me better at the original game by teaching me tricks the original had but never needed. Redesign is so... well-designed that it will teach you what to do even if you have never done it before without having to check the solution on YouTube, whereas a lot of other hacks sadly do.

Also insane map size, exploration, cool additions (disabling the use of multiple beams, wall-jump is only possible on rugged surfaces)... too many to tell.

JutsBeaumont

Quote1. Eris-Sorry, hated being chased by an adult Metroid at the beginning.
One of the best things about the original Eris! It's an evocative and powerful teaching moment that also simultaneously endows Metroids with a sense of power, presence and fear that they haven't had in ages.

Vahn54

Quote from: Jordan5 on July 06, 2015, 06:11:56 AM

Care to explain that? Or are you talking about the ones set up for the heat run with the same index (like redesign)

Yeah that is the one, but you can get the Gravity Suit before that cancels that to be a run. That can be an up and a down, too, since it can break the tradition of getting the Varia Suit before hand. I give props for it being different in that way.

Quote from: JutsBeaumont on July 06, 2015, 03:44:28 PM
Quote1. Eris-Sorry, hated being chased by an adult Metroid at the beginning.
One of the best things about the original Eris! It's an evocative and powerful teaching moment that also simultaneously endows Metroids with a sense of power, presence and fear that they haven't had in ages.

Maybe wasn't just that alone. It was what you also had to do to escape it. A bunch of skillful(maybe luck or skill) maneuvering through. It was intense. I agree with you there. Hell, I didn't even know what triggered the opening and closing of gates. Eris reminds me of Clock Tower in some ways. It's a "trial and error" type Metroid. But I guess I prefer an adult Metroid over SA-X. I definitely give it props for being different

Vahn54

Quote from: TheAnonymousUser on July 06, 2015, 07:53:13 AM
3 best so far
2. Redesign- I would love to see a Redesign 2
Everyone else will beg to differ :colonrightv: (does axeil count as redesign 2?)

3. AM2R-game just has some difficulty issues...otherwise it's a great metroid title
That's not even a metroid hack...

Probably what jordan said. Item indexes can be used in some funky ways.
(pro-tip: don't speedrun stardust, we tried that once...)

Still haven't tried Cliffhanger, Hyper Metroid, Ice Metal, Return to Zebes, and others though
Unless you know a lot of the super metroid tech, cliffhanger's not a good place to start. Hyper metroid and ice-metal however, I say go for it (if open ended hacks are your thing)

2. I think only the creator can answer that properly. Maybe it was intended, but yet it's NOT part of the title. My view of seeing Axiel's version is it being a redesign of redesign, so technically speaking you could consider Axiel's version...SM: Redesign v1.1(If you want me to be technical). I say that because it's not a full redesign...hackers still have barriers when it comes to Metroid

3. AM2R is in fact, a Metroid hack. It is a Recoded hack. Is Spider Ball in Metroid 2? Is Spider Ball in AM2R? I just think, maybe, you don't really like it as a hack.

Quote from: Hrith on July 06, 2015, 01:33:12 PM
Redesign is the only ROM hack I'd consider better than the original. Redesign is the only game that has made me better at the original game by teaching me tricks the original had but never needed. Redesign is so... well-designed that it will teach you what to do even if you have never done it before without having to check the solution on YouTube, whereas a lot of other hacks sadly do.

Also insane map size, exploration, cool additions (disabling the use of multiple beams, wall-jump is only possible on rugged surfaces)... too many to tell.

Redesign forces you to learn those skills if you want to 100% the game.
[spoiler]It also allows you to be able to get the Screw Attack before the Space Jump. Can you tell me "It's not awesome"?[/spoiler]

JutsBeaumont

Quote3. AM2R is in fact, a Metroid hack. It is a Recoded hack. Is Spider Ball in Metroid 2? Is Spider Ball in AM2R? I just think, maybe, you don't really like it as a hack.

...It's not a hack. It's a fan-game, coded from scratch in Game Maker. A hack necessitates that the original source material is "hacked" into to produce something different.

Vahn54

Quote from: JutsBeaumont on July 11, 2015, 03:55:58 PM
Quote3. AM2R is in fact, a Metroid hack. It is a Recoded hack. Is Spider Ball in Metroid 2? Is Spider Ball in AM2R? I just think, maybe, you don't really like it as a hack.

...It's not a hack. It's a fan-game, coded from scratch in Game Maker. A hack necessitates that the original source material is "hacked" into to produce something different.

Ok and it's not anything to with SM. My bad.

DonnyDonovan

I played that Metroid Confrontation game that's supposed to give players the "feel" of AM2R.  I hope AM2R is a lot more polished, because I hate the boss fights in that Confrontation game.  Kraid in particular is just awful.   

TheAnonymousUser

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on August 12, 2015, 02:39:49 PM
I played that Metroid Confrontation game that's supposed to give players the "feel" of AM2R.  I hope AM2R is a lot more polished, because I hate the boss fights in that Confrontation game.  Kraid in particular is just awful.
Confrontation used to be the tech demo (released god knows how many years ago) for AM2R, but has since become it's own thing (sort of). AM2R has gone through a number of changes over the years, and the demo shows it.