News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] MSU-1 Patch

Started by Metaquarius, May 17, 2015, 01:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metaquarius

Super Metroid MSU-1 hack
Version 1.0
Made by DarkShock

Quote from ROMHACKING.NET :
QuoteThis patch adds support for CD quality audio to Super Metroid using MSU-1 chip invented by byuu. So far, it is only supported and tested on BSNES, higan and the SD2SNES flashcart.
If the MSU-1 is not detected, the patch plays the original music, thus the patch works on all emulators (but it is less fun to listen to)
The link to the audio pack is included in the README file. It uses Blake Robinson's reorchetration http://syntheticorchestra.com/
This patch can be really handy for SM hackers who want a cheap way to include new music in their hacks but remember it is not supported by emulators such as Snes9x and ZSNES! Please note this patch uses freespace at the end of bank $80 (0x4D90) If you want to compile the ASM yourself, get the source here : https://github.com/mlarouche/SuperMetroid-MSU1

GETTING STARTED WITH HIGAN v0.94

The README contains instructions on how to make it work on HIGAN, BSNES and SD2SNES but I've made a more user-friendly tutorial just in case.

1-Download and extract the .zip from http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2393/

2-Get the music files : you can either download the music pack at http://www.mediafire.com/download/euj8ewjv59d2022/SuperMetroidMSU1_Music.7z or make your own .pcm files with wav2msu. [tutorial below]

3-Patch a clean ROM with "supermetroid_msu1_emulator.ips" (your Super Metroid ROM must be the unheadered (JU) [!] - 3,072KB)

4-Import your game into HIGAN's library (go to "Library" menu and "Import game" for example)

5-Go to %USERPROFILE%\Emulation\Super Famicom\[whatever your ROM's called].sfc folder. (%USERPROFILE% is your user profile folder, mine was something like this C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data)

6-Copy manifest.bml (from the .zip folder) and the .pcm files there - you can copy your SRAM file too, it should be named "save.ram".

7-Edit manifest.bml with Notepad and replace "rom name=supermetroid_msu1.sfc" by "rom name=program.rom" at line 4

8-Run your game

MAKING YOUR OWN AUDIO FILES

Audio files for use with the MSU-1 must be raw 44.1kHz stereo PCM files.

1-Convert your music files into WAV files first and put them in a folder ;

2-Download WAV2MSU http://helmet.kafuka.org/thepile/Wav2msu and copy the .exe into your folder ;

3-Create a new text file there and add one line for each WAV file :

wav2msu brinstar_vegetation_remix.wav -l 133274

> "brinstar_vegetation_remix.wav" is the name of your WAV file, the output file will be called "brinstar_vegetation_remix.pcm"
   > -l 133274 (optional) will set a loop point at sample location 133274 (you need an audio editor for that information)

4-Name your text file "create_pcm.bat" then double-clic on it.

5-Then be sure to rename the PCM files properly, as decribed in the manifest.bml.
For exemple, if your want your "brinstar_vegetation_remix" to replace the Green Brinstar song (duh), rename it "supermetroid_msu1-11.pcm". Track numbers are listed in the README.

Happy hacking. :^_^:

passarbye

Can't wait until I get my Ableton Live studio going so I can actually use some of this stuff for once.
Great resource! thanks for sharing this.

Question: after inserting new music (and using the patch), will the rom hack only be playable in Higan?

TheAnonymousUser

Quote from: passarbye on May 17, 2015, 02:11:43 PM
Question: after inserting new music (and using the patch), will the rom hack only be playable in Higan?
iirc, you can still play the rom in any emulator, but it won't play any of the custom music (as most emulators don't have msu-1 support)

snarfblam

Quote from: passarbye on May 17, 2015, 02:11:43 PM

Quote from: Metaquarius on May 17, 2015, 01:43:14 PM
This patch adds support for CD quality audio to Super Metroid using MSU-1 chip invented by byuu. So far, it is only supported and tested on BSNES, higan and the SD2SNES flashcart.
If the MSU-1 is not detected, the patch plays the original music, thus the patch works on all emulators (but it is less fun to listen to)

The new music works with higan or SD2SNES. The game reverts to normal music otherwise (snes9x, zsnes, powerpak, etc).

Parabox

Hey, someone made a comprehensive guide and found a better patch (I hope)! (The one I have doesn't play regular music if no MSU-1 replacement is provided). Even though MSU-1 is limited in its scope of applicability, its use delights me! The official Super Metroid CD soundtrack has some great version. This'd be a great addition to Project Base or (and I will keep reiterating this) Eris, if DMan would ever find it in his heart to make Echoes of Eris less exclusive.

NARFNra

Patch works pretty well!
vid that doesn't seem to want to display
Yeah, the song sucks, but I just made it to test out the patch and the converter.

Metaquarius

Quote from: Parabox on May 18, 2015, 02:24:51 AM
Eris, if DMan would ever find it in his heart to make Echoes of Eris less exclusive.
All downloads links are dead on m2k2, but I clearly remember anybody could download the album after its release...
Even if Echoes of Eris is made public ever again, integrating 76 tracks will require making a special version, the current hack uses something like 20 different songs.

advancedpillow

Currently enjoying this now on my sd2snes. Completely changes the feel. Some songs, most songs, work better than others. Regardless, this is so fun. Maybe someday we can experience Eris with Dman's outstanding OG ost; I instantly thought of that too.

Edit: this soundtrack hack also works with Project Base 0.7.1. All i did was patch project base with the ips file. Renamed it what it told me to rename the patched file, found within the readme. And I put the pcm files, the msu file, and the patched rom into a folder (named Project Base Symphony) on my sd card. Loaded it up, music is playing! Cant believe it but it's logical that it works.

Axatax

Wow.... That's pretty cool.

What exactly was an MSU-1?  Is this just a DAC incorporated on some cartrige games?

EDIT:  Read up about MSU-1. 

Mentlegen

Hey thanks man

I am having some trouble though, as when i complete all the steps and launch the rom in higan, i get a black screen, no error message, but FPS at the bottom. Any idea whats going on?

Metaquarius

Quote from: Mentlegen on August 06, 2016, 03:46:30 PM
Hey thanks man

I am having some trouble though, as when i complete all the steps and launch the rom in higan, i get a black screen, no error message, but FPS at the bottom. Any idea whats going on?
Which version of Higan do you have ? Does an unmodified ROM actually run on it ? I use v0.92 maybe v0.94 doesn't work for you either.

Dark-SA-X

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yfpugb14vu8oylq/55_M1Brinstar.spc
If any wants to use a sound recorder such as total recorder standard and follow meta instructions.
That will work as well, just finished resampling an old friends port enjoy.

Mentlegen

Ive gotten farther along in this tutorial

http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,3526.0.html

I've been able to Launch my patched rom with Bsnes but no custom music comes up. The readme file just says:

Just patch the ROM and launch the game. The pcm file needs to be in the same folder.

My rom is patched
My custom pcm is named appropriately and in the same folder as my rom

but my game doesn't have my custom music.

Anyone have any advice?

Metaquarius

Quote from: Mentlegen on June 28, 2017, 12:59:41 PM
Ive gotten farther along in this tutorial

http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,3526.0.html

I've been able to Launch my patched rom with Bsnes but no custom music comes up. The readme file just says:

Just patch the ROM and launch the game. The pcm file needs to be in the same folder.

My rom is patched
My custom pcm is named appropriately and in the same folder as my rom

but my game doesn't have my custom music.

Anyone have any advice?
Maybe you forgot to edit the manifest file...

Mentlegen

No, my manifest looks like this

unverified

cartridge region=NTSC
  rom name=Super Metroid (Japan, USA) (En,Ja) with MSU patch size=0x300000
  ram name=save.ram size=0x2000
  map id=rom address=00-7f,80-ff:8000-ffff mask=0x8000
  map id=ram address=70-7f,f0-ff:0000-7fff

msu1
    rom name=program.rom size=0x0000
    map id=io address=00-3f,80-bf:2000-2007
    track number=1 name=supermetroid_msu1-1.pcm
    track number=2 name=supermetroid_msu1-2.pcm
    track number=3 name=supermetroid_msu1-3.pcm
    track number=4 name=supermetroid_msu1-4.pcm
    track number=5 name=supermetroid_msu1-5.pcm
    track number=6 name=supermetroid_msu1-6.pcm
    track number=7 name=supermetroid_msu1-7.pcm
    track number=8 name=supermetroid_msu1-8.pcm
    track number=9 name=supermetroid_msu1-9.pcm
    track number=10 name=supermetroid_msu1-10.pcm
    track number=11 name=supermetroid_msu1-11.pcm
    track number=12 name=supermetroid_msu1-12.pcm
    track number=13 name=supermetroid_msu1-13.pcm
    track number=14 name=supermetroid_msu1-14.pcm
    track number=15 name=supermetroid_msu1-15.pcm
    track number=16 name=supermetroid_msu1-16.pcm
    track number=17 name=supermetroid_msu1-17.pcm
    track number=18 name=supermetroid_msu1-18.pcm
    track number=19 name=supermetroid_msu1-19.pcm
    track number=20 name=supermetroid_msu1-20.pcm
    track number=21 name=supermetroid_msu1-21.pcm
    track number=22 name=supermetroid_msu1-22.pcm
    track number=23 name=supermetroid_msu1-23.pcm
    track number=24 name=supermetroid_msu1-24.pcm
    track number=25 name=supermetroid_msu1-25.pcm
    track number=26 name=supermetroid_msu1-26.pcm
    track number=27 name=supermetroid_msu1-27.pcm
    track number=28 name=supermetroid_msu1-28.pcm
    track number=29 name=supermetroid_msu1-29.pcm
    track number=30 name=supermetroid_msu1-30.pcm

information
  title: supermetroid_msu1

I get a black screen when opening in Higan v.94 I followed every step

Metaquarius

Here is the manifest file I use (higan v092)
Hope it helps !

unverified

cartridge region=NTSC
  rom name=program.rom size=0x300000
  ram name=save.ram size=0x2000
  map id=rom address=00-7f,80-ff:8000-ffff mask=0x8000
  map id=ram address=70-7f,f0-ff:0000-7fff

msu1
    rom name=msu1.msu size=0x0000
    map id=io address=00-3f,80-bf:2000-2007
    track number=1 name=supermetroid_msu1-1.pcm

Mentlegen

Thanks for your help. I can launch the game, but no custom music. it runs though. Can you provide the instructions more specifically?

I'm sorry if i'm coming off as annoying, i just really want this to work!