News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Finally went 3D - ASUS VG278HE & NVIDIA 3D Vision 2

Started by Grimlock, May 15, 2015, 12:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimlock

So after a couple years of bouncing the idea around I finally broke down and bought an ASUS VG278HE "3D ready" PC monitor and a Nvidia 3D vision 2 kit.  I picked it up through Amazon and received it on Tuesday.  Installing the 3D vision software wasn't too difficult since it's bundled with the Nvidia drivers.  Replacing my existing driver on the other hand was a major thorn in my side for about 3 hours since the Nvidia installer doesn't play nice with Windows 7.  I found a multi step work around that finally worked.

After using the 3D vision 2 setup for a few hours I have to say I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be.  I used it with Skyrim, Portal 2, Half-Life 2 and a few others.  With Skyrim I used the helix mod settings to get it to render close to properly (crosshairs still at wrong depth).  It was interesting but not spectacular.  I'm guessing it's going to take a lot of work to improve the 3D experience.  Really the 3D vision is just a hack of games not originally intended for 3D, I suppose I was expecting a less flawed experience.  Anyway I'm not super impressed with it.  I'm sure it will get better when I spend a few more hours fine tuning it.

Any of you guys running a 3D set up?

Quietus

Nope.  I've thought about it for gaming, but never felt I'd get enough out of it to invest.  I thought that games like Minecraft would be fantastic in 3D, but, much like the TV side, it feels like 3D is already dying a miserable death (in the UK, Sky have already withdrawn all 3D TV stuff), so I'm happy to let it go.

Perhaps things will be better if / when VR gets a wriggle on..? :^_^:

Zero One

I think 3D is like 4K; an interesting idea, and definitely something to look forward to, but certainly not worth the investment right now, unless you absolutely need it for some significant reason other than shits and giggles.