News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Ice Metal: Uninstall - Speed running update[?]

Started by Lunaria, May 03, 2016, 07:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunaria

First I should open with that I don't actually follow speedrunning other than casually watching AGDQ twice a year, and I'm not really involved in the speedrunning community, or know much about it. That being said, I do like the idea of it, and I want to see my hack getting run more, but then putting it like that it sounds a bit pretentious. What I'm trying to get at is that I have always had the interest to make changes if it makes the hack more enjoyable for speedrunners, as long as it does not compromise the experience for others (which is often very much possible).

That being said, I don't want to introduce any changes unless they are actually an straight up improvement. Now six years later I can see many flaws in the design of the hack, but it's not like I want to spend forever re-doing the entire hack. And while I'm not that well versed into speedrunning, from my understanding routings can change over night when people find new stuff or try new ideas, so constantly introducing changes to the eco-system from the developer seems kind harmful. So, in that regard, this would be a one time update that will fix some minor things..., while also possibly tweak certain things to make the hack more appealing for speed running. So, basically, I'm trying to reach out and ask what the speedrunning community would want to see changed here.

The reason I bring this up is that Kenta approached me about that you can apparently, somehow, glitch through the platform in this room from below, skipping the powerbomb requirement:

[spoiler]

Note: that I have no idea why this clip is even possible in the first place.
Note 2: Those red marked tiles are bombable air, which is a tilling error.
Note 3: Maybe this is a glitch only in an older version of the hack, IDK. It was six years since I released this, I don't remember every small thing like this. I know I had to make some changes to this room due to other reasons between versions.[/spoiler]

However, once you do that you're stuck, but you can go down..., and you would be able to get into deep ice if it weren't for this:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

So he proposed that I remove this second powerbomb barrier, which I mostly just placed there for scenery anyway. It's not really anything I have much against, but I also want to make sure it's something everyone wants, because introducing changes only a few of the speedrunners wants is the opposite of what I aim for with this theoretical update.

Quietus

While I'm not really answering your main question, I can explain the glitch for you. Firstly, it's not your hack. This is a known glitch, and works with any platform that is one tile high, and has a two-tile-high gap underneath it. It often gets used to reach the top of the Wrecked Ship in speedruns of the original game. In short, you somersault into the space, then press one of the shoulder buttons. While somersaulting, your hitbox is small enough to fit, but when you press the shoulder button, your hitbox is expanded to a point bigger than the space, so you clip into the platform, which enables you to jump up through it. If you wanted to, you could prevent it by lowering the floor to three tiles.

Yuki

What happened with this? I still wanna try runs of IM with this change sometime

Lunaria

What happened with this? Well, basically I asked if anyone was interested in a speed running update to work out any problems that may or may not prevent people from enjoying running the game.

I proposed one change which I was told "should" be done, yet I was told after this thread was made that it wasn't that big of a deal. And no one else ever replied with any other things, so I assumed that there wasn't any interest. *shrug*

Yuki

Wasn't the idea more just to make sure there WASN'T any issues? I think lack of response would warrant a yes

Lunaria

I'm not a speed runner thought, I can't just magically know what needs to be done to appease that demographic. This is why I tried to reach out to get feedback on what were issues in the first place. I mean, I can push out an update for that one thing I was told of and is showcased in OP, but it was supposedly not that big of a thing. (Hench why I figured it could wait until I got in more problems, issues, etc, brought up).

I mean, I don't really know the nitty gritty when it comes to what makes a game appealing to speed run. But I would imagine there are more issues than just this thing that are problematic. I can fix this thing a push an update if you want? I just don't want to lock myself into a position were I keep updating this hack add-infinitum as new things come up(I'm not really involved in hacking much these days). Which is why I pictured this update in my head as like, a one time update. Maybe that was naive of me....