News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Guides on Aesthetics/Design, and guides all hackers should know.

Started by GF_Kennon, April 21, 2015, 01:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF_Kennon

For lack of a better name, I decided to link to a general section on the front page of the wiki, I wanted this section to contain stuff that pretty much every hacker should know, from simple things on how to patch ROMs, use assemblers for the assembly resources, and maybe different programs that people would find themselves using. I also wanted it to contain guides on other things too, such as Aesthetics and Level Design, these could be game or style specific possibly since we have aesthetics guides for specific games, or specific styles (mechanical or alien graphics in level design for example).

I'll probably have a go at creating this segment later today, at the moment I modified the start page and linked to it under getting started, above the banners for each game.

I hope to make this segment useful to people who have never touched anything to do with ROM hacking, as well as existing people who might want to read up on guides for aesthetics and level design, possibly also guides on what not to do.

Lunaria

A page that lists everything a designer needs to think about? Oh boy, it would have no end.

And I don't mean that sarcastically either, there is just so much shit you need to know, and frankly, a lot of it will make no sense once reading about, you need to learn it first hand.

Grimlock

Lunaria, I think you are viewing GF_Kennons intentions too broadly.  Things like guides for Tile Layer Pro (or other graphics editing applications), preplanning concepts, suggestions on game design and so forth wouldn't be too extensive.  General HEX editing guides would be another example that would work for a "general" section.  Game specific topics like "How to modify X,Y,or Z enemy in SM" wouldn't be located there.  Topics that apply to all games in general.