News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Reformatting the wiki game pages

Started by GF_Kennon, April 19, 2015, 01:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF_Kennon

Over the last few days I have been reworking the start pages for the games that we hack into something more useable and I figured I would post my prototypes of said pages for you guys to check out.

| Metroid: Zero Mission | Metroid | Metroid II: Return of Samus | Super Metroid | Metroid: Fusion |

I decided to list the current set of editors for a game at the top of the page with links to their pages on the resources page, under that is guides which I split into Manuals, Basic, Intermediate, and Expert, giving people a sort of order to read everything to get into hacking on that particular game, at the bottom of the page I have also included reference material and information, this material should be useful for people trying to find where data is located, but it could also detail mechanics of the game for people who wish to create their own game engine and want to know how stuff works. Hopefully this will make the wiki an interesting read for anyone wanting to know more about the games inner workings.

I should be finalizing these pages soon, but I figured I would run them by you guys first to see if you have any input.

Grimlock

One thing I'm seeing that is lacking is a location for common info and/or tutorials.  For example if I put something together for preproduction where would I put it?  I suppose I could just gear it to M1 and put it there.  I was considering broadening it to encompass useful information for anyone working with game design.  Game design tutorials could also include considerations for other aspects such as ramping difficulty, puzzles, obstacle types, and so forth.  Maybe the best way to go about it is to create a section titled "Game Design".  I guess the only criteria would be that any content added should benefit designers of more than one game, and of course be game design related.

GF_Kennon

Tutorials are guides wouldnt you say? And I suspect a lot of common information could fit into a FAQ of sorts, or at the bottom of the page if its detailed technical information, as for your preproduction, I was thinking general:preproduction and featuring it on the start page as a good idea.

I like your idea of having a Game Design section though, should look at working that into the wiki and linking to it from the front page.

Edit: you should see if you can fit that in to the start page I been working on http://wiki.metroidconstruction.com/doku.php?id=playground:start

Edit: All pages have been moved into the actual game pages now.

RT-55J

Oh hey. A Metroid 2 page! I was meaning to make one for that game pretty soon.

I'm going to make a point of doing a good amount of research on that game over this summer (famous last words).

biospark

Quote from: RT-55J on April 24, 2015, 12:59:01 AM
Oh hey. A Metroid 2 page! I was meaning to make one for that game pretty soon.

I'm going to make a point of doing a good amount of research on that game over this summer (famous last words).
Make an editor while you're at it :P

Zero One

Yeah, an editor would be really good. If only somebody was working on that.

<_< >_>

adamf

I'm kind of wondering where to drop general SNES info, like the opcodes/mnemonics lists for the CPU.  I could put them with Super Metroid, but they're not specific to the game...

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Zero One on April 26, 2015, 06:41:35 AM
Yeah, an editor would be really good. If only somebody was working on that.

<_< >_>
I like what this message implies.

personitis

Quote from: adamf on April 26, 2015, 04:55:18 PM
I'm kind of wondering where to drop general SNES info, like the opcodes/mnemonics lists for the CPU.  I could put them with Super Metroid, but they're not specific to the game...
I would definitely group it with Super Metroid since the only SNES related content that we deal with is SM. Though, if for whatever reason that's a no-go, there should be a general section I think?