News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Hyper Metroid

Started by RealRed, April 17, 2015, 11:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danidub

Quote from: Aran;Jaeger on May 26, 2015, 07:03:34 AM
The map of Hyper Metroid that is provided at the Metroid Map Station page misses a Missile pack in Dachora´s room up in Brinstar in the third room to the left of Kraid´s room.
Thank you the map is updated.

Hiroshi Mishima

I'm not looking for help, just commenting on my experiences so far. [spoiler]I've got 60 Missiles, Grapple, Morph, Bomb, Hi-Jump & Charge. I know Wave is next cause me and my friends are all playing it simultaneously.[/spoiler]

Read through at least half of the thread and was surprised more people didn't complain about the obnoxious morph ball sound effect. It grated so much that I went and asked a friend how to change it, which improved matters greatly.

I actually liked the Bomb Torizo fight because as soon as I got stuck I started laughing and then remembered what the readme said. [spoiler]I loved this change to them and it helped me conserve ammo early on.[/spoiler] I also enjoy the Ammo System, I find it a neat and well implemented idea so far. [spoiler]I watched my friend fight Kraid last night and am rather excited to fight him cause he's one of my fav SM bosses.[/spoiler]

Aside from the sound of morphing, I do feel the game is a little too open-ended making it easy to get yourself lost or stuck not knowing where to go next. However, it isn't enough of a detriment to me (yet) that I feel it detracts from the overall experience. [spoiler]I do feel that the naked-Samus death animation was unnecessary and have asked Grime if he'd make me a patch to change it. I feel Samus is oversexualized by the industry too much as it is for fans to compound it.

Please note that I understand some people don't have a problem with it, it's just my personal feelings on the subject. I found it rather tasteless and it does kinda colour my enjoyment of the hack.[/spoiler]

The only other thing I can add is that I found the change of L & R to be strange and as someone said earlier in the thread I wound up having to reset in order to change it back because not unlike Axeil Edition's X-Ray Scope button it messes with the muscle memory too much. But otherwise, I do think the hack is really good so far and will have to see if my feels change as time goes on.

foosda

hi I'm highly interested in removing the annoying morph sounds. teach me your ways, please sahib.

Quote58

Go into a hex editor and make these 2 changes. This doesn't actually remove the JSL, so it's a little wasteful like this, but it gets the job done in only two changes.

02:A017 - 1C -> 00       ;this is the terrible sound effect you hear
02:A01E - 1B -> 00       ;this is a worse sound effect you luckily don't hear

foosda

sahib is kind and generous, much obliged

begrimed

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on May 28, 2015, 04:17:57 PM
I do feel that the naked-Samus death animation was unnecessary and have asked Grime if he'd make me a patch to change it. I feel Samus is oversexualized by the industry too much as it is for fans to compound it.

Recensored death animation patch is attached to this post, and added to the Project Base topic OP.

Jordan5

Well I finished this the other day in 7:28 with 84%. So here's what I thought:

[spoiler=Some text]
I definitely have mixed feelings about this hack, while is showed a lot of promise, there were a couple little things that let it down. The first 20 minutes or so were great, but as soon as I started to explore around I got very frustrated that you get to a door and can't open it, so you travel pretty much all around the sub-area to get to the blocked off room, then when you get the missile or find you don't have the equipment, you then have to travel all across the map to get back to the room. So why was the door locked? Why is exploration tedious for no reason?
There were also cases where you'd go through a blue door to find there's a pb door cap on the other side which you can't open, so you have to again loop round one or more areas to get back to where you were. This just seems annoying, a red door cap on the other side to the pb door cap with the same index would quickly fix this annoyance.
Another problem I had was that once you get high jump, the level design seems ultra cramped due to the large difference in jump height now. The only other hack with such a large jump height is Airy, but because the initial jump height is also great, the rooms are very open. This issue is fixed when you get space jump however, so it isn't too bad.
All other frustrations were down to me playing at 5am and doing stupid things. It's a shame about these issues, because they plagued the early game, but once you were over halfway through the hack opened up and was great. The people who think it is flawless must've managed to stumble across a nice route, because there were definitely some tougher ones with a few problems. Still though, an impressive feat for 11 months work and an amazing hack. If it weren't for the tediousness of the early game I would be on a second playthrough now.

TL;DR - Early game tedious, late game awesome. Worth a play.
[/spoiler]

Oh yeah, was Draygon meant to be the last boss? Both her and ridley were so easy, especially compared to the others. . .

RealRed

Jordan5: Okay... Could you be a little bit more specific? Your complaint sounds like it's worth fixing but I honestly have no idea where you're talking about. Are you one of the poor souls that IBJ'd to upper brinstar right away?

The powerbomb door in the creepy crypt will be backed with a missile door. Already done in 1.01. That's not early game though, so it can't just be that...

Sorry you didn't like the moon boots :(
You're the first one to have an issue with them. Remember you can always turn them off if you feel like they're hindering your movement. I made pretty sure that I made earlier-game rooms still work okay with high-jump. I can see about specific complaints if you have any though.

Hiroshi-Mishima: You can change your controls back to the originals from the start menu.

Jordan5

Umm, I didn't IBJ anywhere because the bomb timer change made it very difficult, it is possible I walljumped to places I shouldn't have been in. I know that in brinstar and Norfair there were places that i went a long way around to get to the other side of a green door. It's possible I also wasn't meant to do this. I may play this again soon, so if I happen to notice these things again I will let you know the exact locations of them.
It was just some of the crateria and brinstar shafts where I kept jumping straight up into platforms/enemies and falling down further, as well as a few long corridors that were made a little more difficult to traverse. Turning them off would have been a good idea though, my bad.
Oh, the power bomb doors either side of the tourian elevator should be backed with missile doors, they were the main issues (at least Maridia's side)

I hope this helps :^_^:

Hiroshi Mishima

Quote from: RealRed on May 29, 2015, 12:48:15 PMHiroshi-Mishima: You can change your controls back to the originals from the start menu.
Yeah I did mention I'd done that, it just seemed strange to leave the controls in a different set-up.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks again, Grime. Really 'preciate it.

Phazos: True Phazon deity

ok there is a set of Power bomb that I can't get to because they are kinda closed off by a set of gates... It's the set in norfair near gate 9

How am I supposed to get them? cause I would like to get 100% and beat the game...

I just wonder if those two gates are tied to an event trigger upon entering the room or if they are tied to the Gate 9 trigger.

Boomerang

That gate's on a timer, meaning you have to get to the Power Bombs fast enough.

A hidden mechanic of the Speed Booster in Hyper Metroid (and Project Base) is that you can turn around while spin jumping in the speed booster state. You have to carry the speed boost all the way through the room using some pretty precise jumps.

Quote from: Boomerang on June 03, 2015, 01:39:20 PM
That gate's on a timer, meaning you have to get to the Power Bombs fast enough.

ok. it was either they were tied to Gate 9 switch or timer so thanks boomerang

Technomagus

One other thing I wanted to mention:  I think the crumble blocks leading to Speed Booster and Spring Ball should not be visible.  I've seen a number of people completely bypass those locations multiple times because they saw the crumble blocks and didn't know they were supposed to fall through them.  Also, if possible, I'd expand the Speed Booster room horizontally so that you can't see the speed-breakable blocks until it's too late to turn back.  I think this would help to alleviate a lot of the frustration people had with being unable to find these two items.

Steel Sparkle

Clear Time:6:14
Items:81%

im not much of a reviewer but i guess i can give my 2 cents on the hack..
[spoiler] I loved this hack from start to finish. I enjoyed the exploration of this game.. you aren't just tethered to one path that involves back and forthing between items.The escape was long but was tense and had me worried when that timer was dipping below 1 minute xD... the only problem i had was where i had to go after getting space jump/Spazer/JumpBall but that's just my bad sense of direction.. All in all i give it a 100/10.. Damn that was amazing Real Red.. I really look forward to more stuff by you! [/spoiler]

my review and experience...

97% and over 8 hours

[spoiler]HOLY!!!!... the game started out really good and interesting. that sequence from Ceres station just let me know "you are in for some really messed up stuff." I got confused on where to get power bombs but I eventually got them. The open world set up is a good way to frustrate some players and confuse them entirely. Over all I enjoyed it and I was not thrown off by some of the things that everyone else was. My path went from getting morph, and a few missiles and e tanks to bombs and other items in brinstar... I took down Kraid first which made getting around everywhere much easier. I went into upper brinstar with Spazer and charge thus making everything killable (even kraid) I won't say that it was easy but it was fun to take down the Kraid Tank. in the end... the escape sequence tho... longest one I've seen (may be other hacks with much longer but still). The sequence was well done and fun. Real Red... GG on this epic hack. [/spoiler]

I had some serious fun with this hack. I may see if I can get one of my friends to play it. ANyways I look forward to more good hacks like this one.

RealRed

Thanks, you two :)
be sure to leave a review on the beta metcon website if you get a chance.
http://beta.metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=294

ianfrombristol

In my honest opinion this is in the top 3 best SM hacks. 

The Pros:

• The re-worked graphics are a thing of beauty
  • The HHHUUUUUGGGGEEEEE size of the world to explore
  • The minor tweaks to the game play.  Enough to make it feel you're playing a different game to the original but not too removed from the original that you no longer feel you're playing a SM game

The Cons:

• Why did I have to use that speedball to shinespark move to access some areas :?:  It's a very non-standard move and I had to watch another player's playthrough to know what to do - I was so looking forward to cracking this hack with the minimum of assistance  :sad:
  • The room layout was very open in places and this meant the game lost some of the feeling of claustrophobia I often get playing Super Metroid
  • That damn sound effect associated with the transformation to/from morph ball.

Overall a fantastic effort by RealRed and my thanks to you sir for providing me with quite a few evening's worth of entertainment (game completion time of 13:40  :whoa: :blush:)

MetroidPeter

I do feel that the naked-Samus death animation was unnecessary and have asked Grime if he'd make me a patch to change it. I feel Samus is oversexualized by the industry too much as it is for fans to compound it.
:mad:
I agree, I died in Brinstar and when I saw that I got so pissed and shouted "because thinking with your gonads rather than your brain is CLEARLY the way to make an amazing hack." BTW, thanks Grime for the re-censor patch.

advancedpillow

Quote from: ianfrombristol on June 04, 2015, 03:09:24 PM
The minor tweaks to the game play.  Enough to make it feel you're playing a different game to the original but not too removed from the original that you no longer feel you're playing a SM game

So true.

begrimed

Quotebecause thinking with your gonads rather than your brain is CLEARLY the way to make an amazing hack.
My gonads are responsible for a lot more than making Samus die naked.

Quote58

Quote from: MetroidPeter on June 04, 2015, 05:07:19 PM
:mad:
I agree, I died in Brinstar and when I saw that I got so pissed and shouted "because thinking with your gonads rather than your brain is CLEARLY the way to make an amazing hack." BTW, thanks Grime for the re-censor patch.

Um, you do know that the developers original had her naked for the final frame of her death animation right? This was not a new idea grime had for project base.
For the record I don't like it either, but I also don't see it as some huge objectification of samus. Rewarding you with less armour/clothing on her at the end of the game? That's kinda fucked up. But dieing isn't something you want to get, it's not something that's rewarding you for dieing. At most I'd say it's simply further realism and not feeling the need to cover up her body because people will be offended if they see a naked woman, because it's not like people are naked by nature or anything. Nintendo decided not to include that frame because it would change the rating for the game, not because they felt it wasn't appropriate to show a reality. She isn't clothed in the crystal flash pose remember. I think it honestly helps to show her humanity (better than other m did haha). Reminding you that under all the armor and intimidation, she's just as vulnerable as any human.
Anyway, regardless it's very easy to change yourself since the death animation isn't compressed or anything, and is easy to find in the rom.

Quietus

You could always not die, then you never have to worry about it. :cool:

MetroidPeter

The anger of my face-palm outmatches the frustration of all face-palms. I am just sorely disappointed with what I'm reading.

"I don't really see a problem with it." GEE, I WONDER WHY...! And I'm aware the developers were gonna have her naked originally, but they changed it in the final version. People make Samus a sex toy too much anyway.

Also, Grime... I am especially disappointed with you, I thought the creator of Project Base (which I love by the way) would be more mature than THIS:

Quote from: Grime on June 04, 2015, 05:25:25 PM
QuoteMy gonads are responsible for a lot more than making Samus die naked.

foosda

Someone is getting needlessly upset with someone else's design decision. I'd honestly recommend taking a step back and wondering whether this is really worth the high blood pressure.