News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Hyper Metroid

Started by RealRed, April 17, 2015, 11:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trabis

Made an account just to say thank you. =)

TULOA

danidub question for ya about your map:
[spoiler]
On your map you have the picture for the bird on the map to the right of the bomb chozo.

Question is this: How did you get in that room? The gray door wont open for me. Is there another boss I didnt beat? Only one I think I have left is Mother Brain.
Or is that door only passable by some form of cheat?
[/spoiler]

Zhs2

[spoiler=Bomb Torizo's Secret Lair]Rescue the animals![/spoiler]

TULOA

Quote from: Zhs2 on May 03, 2015, 01:14:25 AM

Ok then Looks like I have some work to do... Mainly figuring out how to do that lol.

Ok So that promises to be fun if I've assumed the map correctly for doing this later on. But im game for a challenge.

NARFNra

Quote from: TULOA on May 03, 2015, 01:21:24 AM

Ok then Looks like I have some work to do... Mainly figuring out how to do that lol.

Ok So that promises to be fun if I've assumed the map correctly for doing this later on. But im game for a challenge.

[spoiler] It's something you can only do during the escape sequence, so don't waste time trying to figure it out! [/spoiler]

bradzx

Quote from: Quietus on May 02, 2015, 06:42:12 PM
In western Crateria, there is a room shaped like this: ]||[

It's in the top left-hand corner.
Oh ok thank you.  :)

smgoty

Need help again.  How do I get the item directly below switch 9 in Norfair?  I can speed boost down to this room and see the item but there is a crumble block stopping me from going underneath the last gate.  X-ray vision isn't helping.  Ideas?

TULOA

Quote from: NARFNra on May 03, 2015, 06:06:49 AM
Quote from: TULOA on May 03, 2015, 01:21:24 AM

[spoiler] It's something you can only do during the escape sequence, so don't waste time trying to figure it out! [/spoiler]

Yup looked it up and saw how to in the original game. Looked at my route in this one and looks like it'll be fun.

TULOA

Wow that exit route was harder than I thought it would end up.

[spoiler]
Glad I didnt have to go all the way over to kraid and rescue them one at a time... I thought I would have to visit two separate areas and then bring them to the ship lol.
[/spoiler]

SenpaiSilver

Hi,

I'm having an issue where I can't select my power bombs after picking up missiles dropped from ennemies. No cheats are being used, I'm only watching the values that matched my ammo count.

Here is a screenshot about the values: http://i.imgur.com/Dze0kqs.png

Technomagus

Quote from: smgoty on May 03, 2015, 11:16:43 AM
Need help again.  How do I get the item directly below switch 9 in Norfair?  I can speed boost down to this room and see the item but there is a crumble block stopping me from going underneath the last gate.  X-ray vision isn't helping.  Ideas?

Those gates are on timers and start closing as soon as you enter the room.  You have to reset the room and make it all the way through the speed booster blocks before they close completely.

RealRed

Quote from: SenpaiSilver on May 04, 2015, 02:28:48 PM
Hi,

I'm having an issue where I can't select my power bombs after picking up missiles dropped from ennemies. No cheats are being used, I'm only watching the values that matched my ammo count.

Here is a screenshot about the values: http://i.imgur.com/Dze0kqs.png
Thanks for letting me know. Someone else had this same issue for some reason... This issue was supposed to be resolved, but needs further looking into. Reset your game (don't save or say goodbye to your powerbombs!!), hopefully it won't happen again? :/
What emulator are you using, anyway? And, are you able to reproduce this issue?

SenpaiSilver

I'm running Snes9X v1.53 (64bit). I'm using the save states and I have a few. I loaded a save from before acquiring the bombs but the issues arises again. Now that I think about it I used the ammo station and I probably had issues after looting missiles while full.

For reference I'm linking my current setup: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwrRXorRVC4aNUttWDd6T0Myd28/view?usp=sharing

Sadly the best work around I have is to cheat the ammo count (gamegenie and watch settings are in the rar).

Also where can I find the speed booster ? Thanks.

EDIT: To reproduce just maxout your missiles count, uses some and loot some. If the 6 watched values don't all match then your have reproduced the issue.
Ridley's door is closed, and the other one too.

smgoty

Quote from: Technomagus on May 04, 2015, 03:11:14 PM

Those gates are on timers and start closing as soon as you enter the room.  You have to reset the room and make it all the way through the speed booster blocks before they close completely.

Thanks for the info!  OMG that sucks!  It took me some time to speedboost to that room.  I'm not very good at speedboosting with precision and with short running distances.  I don't think I'm going to be able to get that item since the gates are on a timer and I'm slow at speedboosting this section.  There is another speedboost area even worse in Norfair which is close to this section.  There is a morphball hole in the upper right portion of the room, then a very small room with speedbooster blocks blocking the item.  I tried figuring it out for an hour then just gave up and looked on youtube.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMeVAth0G-M
This guy does it at 13:30 with his eyes closed making me look like an idiot.  I still can't do it, somehow he morphballs to speedboost then unmorphs while falling (without losing charge), then hits down as he lands to store the charge.  Never works when I try it.  When I unmorph while falling the speedboost (green animation) disappears before I can get to the ground to hit down.  Oh well my skill level is too low I guess. 

I'm currently at 80% and I have all major items, all gates unlocked, and all bosses dead except Mother Brain.  Somehow I missed a few energy tanks so I'm searching for them now.  I'm still standing by my original assessment.  RealRed is the man! :grin: Best Super Metroid Hack!

SenpaiSilver
[spoiler]Speedbooster is obtained shortly after beating Ridley.  You can't miss it.[/spoiler]

Technomagus

Quote from: smgoty on May 05, 2015, 12:38:07 AM

Thanks for the info!  OMG that sucks!  It took me some time to speedboost to that room.  I'm not very good at speedboosting with precision and with short running distances.  I don't think I'm going to be able to get that item since the gates are on a timer and I'm slow at speedboosting this section.  There is another speedboost area even worse in Norfair which is close to this section.  There is a morphball hole in the upper right portion of the room, then a very small room with speedbooster blocks blocking the item.  I tried figuring it out for an hour then just gave up and looked on youtube.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMeVAth0G-M
This guy does it at 13:30 with his eyes closed making me look like an idiot.  I still can't do it, somehow he morphballs to speedboost then unmorphs while falling (without losing charge), then hits down as he lands to store the charge.  Never works when I try it.  When I unmorph while falling the speedboost (green animation) disappears before I can get to the ground to hit down.  Oh well my skill level is too low I guess. 

I'm currently at 80% and I have all major items, all gates unlocked, and all bosses dead except Mother Brain.  Somehow I missed a few energy tanks so I'm searching for them now.  I'm still standing by my original assessment.  RealRed is the man! :grin: Best Super Metroid Hack!

SenpaiSilver
[spoiler]Speedbooster is obtained shortly after beating Ridley.  You can't miss it.[/spoiler]

For that trick, continue holding run and a direction and you'll keep the speed boost effect long enough to land and store the charge.  It can take a couple of tries to get the hang of it.  Having experience with Project Base and Escape 2 can help a lot with this hack, since they have the same kind of speed-keep mechanics.  Project Base moreso, being the core mechaics of Hyper.

smgoty

Quote from: Technomagus on May 05, 2015, 01:13:44 AM
Quote from: smgoty on May 05, 2015, 12:38:07 AM

SenpaiSilver

For that trick, continue holding run and a direction and you'll keep the speed boost effect long enough to land and store the charge.  It can take a couple of tries to get the hang of it.  Having experience with Project Base and Escape 2 can help a lot with this hack, since they have the same kind of speed-keep mechanics.  Project Base moreso, being the core mechaics of Hyper.

Thanks!  I just now got it on my second try using your tip!

RealRed

smgoty: For the timer puzzle, keep in mind that if you do a spinjump with speedbooster active, you can turn around and retain your speedboost. This effectively allows you to 1. slow down your speedboost (you can stop holding run in some cases) and 2. keep your speedboost forever! granted with a shitload of skill...

[spoiler=the Zhs2 method]Zhs2 recommends turning off screw attack and slowly spacejumping through the speedbooster blocks. If you don't get hitched on any blocks, you should be able to get through the room in time without too much trouble.[/spoiler]

smgoty

Thanks for the tip RealRed.

I beat it today with 86%.  That escape route was intense and way longer than I was expecting.  I saved the animals but I made it to the ship with only 3 seconds remaining!  I'm looking forward to your next hack project, if you decide to do another one.  I hope you do!

Narpas Sword

Have been lurking on metroidconstruction for a few years. Time to delurk.
After playing through older hacks like Dependence, Redesign, Eris and others a few years ago Hyper Metroid caught my attention and brought me back to playing Super Metroid hacks.

First of all: Thanks for the great work on this RealRed.
I really enjoyed playing through Hyper Metroid and finished it after over 10 hours with 84% items.
Only thing I didn't like that much was the timing on bombs which made IBJ to a "smash the button as fast as you can"-thing. Other than that all the physic changes were absolutely fantastic.
When it comes to level design I didn't like the puzzle for gate 9 (if I remember well) where you had to bomb through lines of crumbleblocks in water to get it.
And the escape sequence was kinda weird. I just didn't expect some stuff and that made me have to do it 3 or 4 times.

I'll probably play through Hyper Metroid again using a map to get 100%. Thanks again.

RealRed

I've got a challenge that might test your will: Getting powerbombs without super missiles. Any takers?

Hitaka

Quote from: RealRed on May 07, 2015, 07:27:20 PM

I've got a challenge that might test your will: Getting powerbombs without super missiles. Any takers?
I love stuff like this, I did the EPB challenge in Axeil after all. I'll probably give it a shot.

gyper

Really enjoyed the hack from start to finish.

Only gripe is with the intro story ,  I thought we all learned  from Other M  to not right a story like that!

Other than that, really enjoyed the level design and overall flow of the game.  I'm honestly looking forward to more Project base hacks in the future.

Also would be nice if killing GT early gave you a nice little reward or something. But dang it did it take a while of cheesing only to realize I wasn't meant to kill him yet, whoops!

Zhs2

Quote from: gyperOnly gripe is with the intro story ,  I thought we all learned  from Other M  to not right a story like that!
Adam's dead. He can't order Samus around anymore.

Not even into the kitchen.

Hitaka

Done! That was fun. Not super hard though, once you know the game.

Also, I tried to X-ray climb to Space Jump just to see if I could, but it didn't work. The spikes got me. Plus X-ray climbing is really hard in Hyper due to the super-fast turnaround. It's like one frame.

SlyPork

Just finished this hack a little bit ago. Damn it's a great game to play! And those graphics are fucking gorgeous  :whoa:

If you want to see my rating, check out the spoiler

[spoiler]http://beta.metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=294[/spoiler]

I'll also be posting my playthrough sometime on my YouTube Channel.