News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

SM Redesign: Axeil Edition FINAL

Started by Drewseph, April 04, 2015, 03:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hitaka

So, about Tourian...
[spoiler]A lot of people hate it. I sure did, the metroids are absolutely insane. But it turns out there's a trick to them. After you bomb them to get them off you, they're "stunned" momentarily. You can see their cores change color. Also, the more you bomb them, the longer they get stunned when they let go of you. That's how you're supposed to deal with them. It's just hard to figure out.[/spoiler]

Quietus

Quote from: Tyjet66 on April 08, 2015, 07:36:54 PMThese fucking Lost Caverns!
If you really want to know, read on, but it's obviously a spoiler:
Hint first:
[spoiler]The room before the cavern has strange poles, which offer your clue for finding the correct path.[/spoiler]
More obvious hint:
[spoiler]Follow the pattern in reverse order.[/spoiler]
Solution:
[spoiler]Starting with the smaller platform, you need to go over, under, under, over, under, then down the hole.[/spoiler]

Edit: Sorry, Tyjet!

Alisa Orlova

Please, don't spoiler the decision! Just tell me, is it OK? i cant go back and i cant go forward.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

Those pink, square blocks sure look suspicious, don't they? :?:

Drewseph

Quote from: Alisa Orlova on April 09, 2015, 07:48:59 AM
Please, don't spoiler the decision! Just tell me, is it OK? i cant go back and i cant go forward.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

you seem to have tripped something up because those blocks are part of the EPB challenge.  those blocks go away when you collect the super missile above spore spawn.  how did you get supers without getting those?  I guess I'll just have to tie them to bombs instead of supers....  I'll fix this for 1.1 which I'll release very soon

Alisa Orlova

Quote from: Drewseph on April 09, 2015, 12:53:12 PM
[spoiler][/spoiler]
how did you get supers without getting those?
79B5B

Tyjet66

Quote from: Tyjet66 on April 08, 2015, 07:36:54 PMThese fucking Lost Caverns!
[spoiler="Ranting"]
Quote from: Quietus on April 09, 2015, 05:12:09 AM
[spoiler="Quietus trying to be helpful"]If you really want to know, read on, but it's obviously a spoiler:
Hint first:
[spoiler]The room before the cavern has strange poles, which offer your clue for finding the correct path.[/spoiler]
More obvious hint:
[spoiler]Follow the pattern in reverse order.[/spoiler]
Solution:
[spoiler]Starting with the smaller platform, you need to go under, over, over, under, over, then down the hole. (I'm at work, so I can't check, but I think that's right!)[/spoiler][/spoiler]
I don't know if I'm retarded, or if I'm simply mentally incapable of understanding, or if my copy is somehow glitched, or whatever the hell is going on. No one else seems to be having any trouble with the Lost Caverns except for me at this point. Having the hints, and supposed solution laid out for me seemingly does nothing to alleviate my issue either. After failing to understand the in-game hints, and Quietus' hints, I've even taken to attempting to brute force the solution (250 different attempts) and even that didn't do anything. List of what I tried:
[spoiler]
o = over   u = under
Try going down the hole both left and right of last platform.

o
u

oo
ou
uo
uu

ooo
oou
ouo
uoo
ouu
uou
uuo
uuu

oooo
ooou
oouo
ouoo
uooo
oouu
ouou
uoou
ouuo
uouo
uuoo
ouuu
uouu
uuou
uuuo
uuuu

ooooo
uoooo
ouooo
oouoo
ooouo
oooou
uuooo
uouoo
uoouo
uooou
ouuoo
ououo
ouoou
oouuo
oouou
ooouu
uuuoo
uuouo
uuoou
uouuo
uouou
uoouu
ouuuo
ouuou
ououu
oouuu
uuuuo
uuuou
uuouu
uouuu
ouuuu
uuuuu

oooooo
ooooou
oooouo
ooouoo
oouooo
ouoooo
uooooo
oooouu
ooouou
oouoou
ouooou
uoooou
ooouuo
oououo
ouoouo
uooouo
oouuoo
ououoo
uoouoo
ouuooo
uouooo
uuoooo
ooouuu
oououu
ouoouu
uooouu
oouuou
ououou
uoouou
ouuoou
uouoou
oouuuo
ououuo
uoouuo
ouuouo
uououo
uuoouo
ouuuoo
uouuoo
uuouoo
uuuooo
oouuuu
ououuu
uoouuu
ouuouu
uououu
uuoouu
ouuuou
uouuou
uuouou
uuuoou
ouuuuo
uouuuo
uuouuo
uuuouo
uuuuoo
ouuuuu
uouuuu
uuouuu
uuuouu
uuuuou
uuuuuo
uuuuuu

[/spoiler]
I haven't the patience to try every 6-step solution or, god forbid, more complex ones.

I've been stuck here for a few hours now and I just can't take it any more. While I'm sure it's not your fault Drewseph, this is the single most frustrating thing in videogaming I've ever had to contend with. I'd rather play Shaq Fu while only looking through a mirror. I will not be playing any more of this until either a walkthrough or TAS comes up and physically shows me the solution. I just can't, I simply can't. I'm done. *throws keyboard*
[/spoiler]
Wow, simply wow... Well, I'm passed it... -.-

In hindsight, I'm actually slightly glad I was stuck here as it forced me to backtrack and go item hunting. Without those last two E-tanks, Phantoon would have been a major pain in the ass.

Metaquarius

Tyjet66, can you give me a hint for the Lost Caverns ? I already spent a long time figuring out how to get there, and I really do not have the patience to try out ten thousands paths anymore. :nowai:

Quietus

Quote from: Metaquarius on April 09, 2015, 03:46:59 PMTyjet66, can you give me a hint for the Lost Caverns ?
I have edited my post above to reflect the correct solution.  I had the over / under the wrong way round! :blush:

As above, sorry, Tyjet.  I hope you didn't pull too much hair out.  It took me long enough to figure it out, and I had to take a stress break in the middle. :^_^:

Hitaka

Quote from: Drewseph on April 09, 2015, 12:53:12 PM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

you seem to have tripped something up because those blocks are part of the EPB challenge.  those blocks go away when you collect the super missile above spore spawn.  how did you get supers without getting those?  I guess I'll just have to tie them to bombs instead of supers....  I'll fix this for 1.1 which I'll release very soon
You can get the supers in the spiky green Brinstar area as your first supers (near Maridia). All you need is bombs and wall jump boots.

Tyjet66

Quote from: Quietus on April 09, 2015, 04:18:06 PM
As above, sorry, Tyjet.  I hope you didn't pull too much hair out.  It took me long enough to figure it out, and I had to take a stress break in the middle. :^_^:
It's all good, I appreciate the asistance either way. When you had said [spoiler]follow it in reverse order, I had thought you meant reverse the over/under rather than left/right, so I really didn't help myself there either.[/spoiler] Didn't pull any hairs, as they're too short.  :wink: Did go to sleep as a stress break mid-way through though lol.

Quietus

Quote from: Tyjet66 on April 09, 2015, 04:50:39 PMa stress break mid-way through though lol.
Maybe we should PM Drewseph, and have this mandatory feature added to the readme? :grin:

passarbye

can someone help?

I'm stuck in lower crateria/brinstar and can't find bombs or the way out to proceed further..
I have wall-jump and missiles.

Smiley

You need to get to eastern Crateria and get bombs there

Tyjet66

Trying to get to Botwoon, but I'm not sure if I'm taking the correct route. Been trying this grapple > jump for five minutes now:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
The only other two obvious routes are blocked. Am I going the correct way? If so, this is brutal.

EDIT: Posted that in frustration, to get in a few attempts later...

EDIT 2: You can fall through these slopes by rolling into them. The undersides are air blocks rather than slope or solid blocks. Not sure if other slopes in Maridia have the same problem. [spoiler][/spoiler]

EDIT 3: Probably not worth fixing, but there's an odd air block here:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
This is one room up and right of the slope problems.

Technomagus

Quote from: Tyjet66 on April 09, 2015, 06:48:34 PM
Trying to get to Botwoon, but I'm not sure if I'm taking the correct route. Been trying this grapple > jump for five minutes now:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
The only other two obvious routes are blocked. Am I going the correct way? If so, this is brutal.

You are.  Lure and freeze the Mochtroid and use it as a platform.  I'm pretty sure Drew made that jump a few pixels too long just to fuck with people who thought he would give a straightforward path in Maridia.

Quietus

More random air blocks here too:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Tyjet66

Quote from: Technomagus on April 09, 2015, 07:10:59 PM
You are.  Lure and freeze the Mochtroid and use it as a platform.  I'm pretty sure Drew made that jump a few pixels too long just to fuck with people who thought he would give a straightforward path in Maridia.
Wow, why didn't I think of that? I kept trying to sling myself over with grapple and eventually got it, albeit by, as you said, just a few pixels.

Drewseph

http://drewseph.metroidconstruction.com/

Version 1.1 is up. lots of balancing that will allow for a more happy fun times.  if you really hated it, let me know if this helps.

Tyjet66

Another set of air blocks. Thought I had found a hidden path to an item or something:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Would you prefer us to keep posting these, or simply ignore them?

DonnyDonovan

Curious if there's a changelog or anything showing what specifically is different between 1.0 and 1.1?

Drewseph

Quote from: Tyjet66 on April 09, 2015, 11:45:55 PM
Another set of air blocks. Thought I had found a hidden path to an item or something:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Would you prefer us to keep posting these, or simply ignore them?
there is a giant bold red message on the main post asking you to PM me these things, but I won't complain.   that bug only the top part is broken, but I guess I should address the rest.

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on April 09, 2015, 11:48:46 PM
Curious if there's a changelog or anything showing what specifically is different between 1.0 and 1.1?

I mentioned that in the first post on the main page.  the read me has a list of changes.

actually this reminds me, don't load from a save state.  load form a hard save.  you may crash from a state.

Tyjet66

Quote from: Drewseph on April 09, 2015, 11:49:52 PM
there is a giant bold red message on the main post asking you to PM me these things, but I won't complain.
My apologies. I hadn't consider tiling errors as bugs or glitches, but I shall do so henceforth.

Alright, it seems that I've hit a roadblock. Just took out Drygon (well, I did a few hours ago,) and went item, and guardian hunting. The hint system is pointing me to Tourain's entrance, and a couple speedbooster spots. The latter seems to only pertain to item locations though. I've 7 guardians left, and this is my item progress: [spoiler][/spoiler]
I can only think of one spot to possibly progress; do I need to take an acid bath? If not, could someone give me a minor hint?

Drewseph

you never, under any circumstances, have to take an acid bath ever.  its too deadly.

you need to go guardian hunting, however there are no hints for that other than exploring and keeping an eye out.

the guardians are usually spread out so that there are western central and eastern

*edit*
Also the hint system doesn't always tell you when you should enter another area all the time.  explore other areas to see what new ???'s might have popped up.

piush

Drewseph, you mention to not load from a save state and use a hard save. Is that everytime you start the game or just after applying the 1.1 patch. I am enjoying this Drewseph. Just got the graaple beam and calling it a night.