News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Kotaku just reported on X-Fusion

Started by advancedpillow, April 03, 2015, 12:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

advancedpillow

http://kotaku.com/a-hardcore-fan-is-merging-two-beloved-metroid-games-int-1695488176

This does not bode well, I can't help but feel nervous, for the eventual release. This is now bound to blow up and attract attention. Why the hell can't the foolhardy authors ever wait until the release to publicize, I'll never know.

Meta, whatever happens, I appreciate what you have done. Hopefully it can continue.

thedopefish

Well, it's Kotaku.  Not like you can expect basic competence or anything.  All they care about is garnering clicks.

Zero One

Gotta love how Kotaku (*baaaaarf*) completely failed to mention their source, bar a link that's very easy to gloss over. Also, the entire comments section crying about DMCAs. Eh, I'm pretty sure that would've happened by now.

Though, given Nintendo did decide to stomp all over that SM64 remake in Unity... :/

Metaquarius

The X-Fusion topic has been locked for a reason. This is a matter of time before the channel gets shut down too. Sorry.

personitis

Quote from: Metaquarius on April 03, 2015, 03:53:54 PM
This is a matter of time before the channel gets shut down too.
While I'm not particularly worried about the locked topic, this makes me worry about the project and, to a lesser extent, the forums. Your use of "channel" is a bit cryptic here though.

begrimed

Quote from: Metaquarius on April 03, 2015, 03:53:54 PM
The X-Fusion topic has been locked for a reason. This is a matter of time before the channel gets shut down too. Sorry.
Super Mario World Central has done a lot more than we have, and it has a much larger audience. Mario is also a lot more valuable to Nintendo than Samus is, so if ROM hacking were considered a threat to their money train, they would have been the first to go, long before this site was around. Crimson Echoes was axed because Squeenix are assholes, but I can't think of any other ROM hacks that were killed by copyright holders. Have there been others? Why so doom and gloom?

Quietus

I'll keep my fingers crossed, just in case. :^_^:

devonodev

I was sent back to this website by ScrewAttack.

maxipower

Typical Kotaku. Plague of a site. I wouldn't worry. Rom hacking has been going on for years. This will blow over after Kotaku get their fill of clicks. They know fine rightly that their publishing of sties has led to the closure of fan projects and still they do it. C***S. I have long stopped using their site.

Metaquarius

Let's end this foolishness, this is getting overly dramatic right here... I should feel ashamed! *reopens topic*

Hawntah

Quote from: Metaquarius on April 04, 2015, 03:39:18 AM
Let's end this foolishness, this is getting overly dramatic right here... I should feel ashamed! *reopens topic*
Kitsune_Phoenix will be overjoyed.

RealRed

Quote from: Hawntah on April 04, 2015, 07:58:49 AM
Quote from: Metaquarius on April 04, 2015, 03:39:18 AM
Kitsune_Phoenix will be overjoyed.
I lol'd.
I thought Kitsune_Phoenix was the reason you locked your topic, to be honest.

Quietus

Quote from: RealRed on April 04, 2015, 12:47:35 PMI thought Kitsune_Phoenix was the reason you locked your topic, to be honest.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

JAM

I just don't get it. Why there is So Much Butthurt about it? Someone announced in his site that hack X is coming. Even if it isn't ready. You go to jail because of it or what?

snarfblam

No, the concern is that it gets the attention of the owners of the involved intellectual property, i.e. Nintendo, and they send a C&D (cease and desist) order, at which point the two options would be to abandon the project or have Nintendo pursue further legal action.

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*

JAM

Quote from: snarfblam on April 05, 2015, 05:27:30 PM
No, the concern is that it gets the attention of the owners of the involved intellectual property, i.e. Nintendo, and they send a C&D (cease and desist) order, at which point the two options would be to abandon the project or have Nintendo pursue further legal action.
Oh, this is a serious. But there is a third option:
[spoiler=Hid it well][spoiler=Hidden][spoiler=One more just because][spoiler=Final one]keep working on project but keeps everything in secret and later SUDDENDLY release it when it's 100% done and it no have bugs/permastucks ever. Even if Nintendo says "no", it will be spreaded everywhere in the web and people itself will post it.[/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]

As for me, I even have fourth option:
[spoiler="I'm afraid no ghouls!"]Simply ignore that order and keep working publically. I'm living in such kind of country that I could just say: "I don't care if someone give me the orders to stop something I"m working on and even everyone don't cares a bit." Of course it affect some sites I'm releasing stuff on, but if do this on our national sites, everyone don't cares a bit here as I'm just said.[/spoiler]

begrimed

Pretty much with JAM here. If I was ordered to stop, I would publicly post whatever they sent me, and just keep working on my hack. What I do is of no harm to their cash flow or their properties. What's going to happen? They'll try to sue me, I'll start informing communities and individuals with large audiences about what's going on, the cops will arrest me, and by then I'll have so many eyes on me and the whole situation that it would become a nasty media storm for Nintendo if they tried to nail me further. I've deeply considered this, and I already know how to proceed if it comes to that. In a nutshell: no private communication between me and them. I don't know anything about our legal system, because I don't need to. They will leave me alone to work on my hack, or I will make them crucify me in front of the whole world. Simple.

This whole community is like one giant advertisement for them anyway, and a lot of us grew up playing their games. Where even is the logic in ordering the shut-down for something that is essentially erected in your honor? People always buckle right away instead of fighting it. You don't need money to do that.

Quietus

They can't do anything if no Grime is committed, right?

Kte

Oh my, I actually laughed out loud!

Metaquarius

The only harm this publication caused so far is a huge swarm of people asking me whens release and stuff. Which I find quite funny considering all this attention is solely based on videos and not actual content (who played Eppy's bane anyway?), it could be fake, who knows? :heheh:

begrimed

Did they try to contact you or anything? They missed a nice chance to interview you and stuff, and actually have some content in this article that wasn't just your non-content. :P

snarfblam

Yeah, actually, I was wondering, when I read the article, why they didn't at least ask you for any kind of comment.

Metaquarius

And I'm kind of glad they didn't because I don't deserve such attention right now. It's only a hack, remember. :wink:
That SM64 remake in Unity was vastly more impressive, too bad they had to take it down.