News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid in Surrealton

Started by The Monster of Surrealton, October 22, 2014, 06:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monster of Surrealton

An on-and-off project for the past year now.

[spoiler=Story]
Samus is swallowed up in a portal to Surrealton, a world where nothing makes sense.

Samus must stop Father Tumor from destroying galactic civilization with a doomsday machine that divides by 0.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=General stuff]

Lots of E-Tanks to make up for the lack of recharge stations. You'll have 5 tanks fast, but should leave the rest in case you die.

Bomb blocks will be minimized, having watch MST's Mariotroid (or whatever it was called) stream recently.

Bomb-jumping won't be a big thing. Just one bomb-jump each time it's required.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Brinstar]

Theme: Nothing yet

A basic starting area.

Unlike the original, the starting area is on the planet's surface, or the top of the map.

The game gives you an E-Tank immediately because 30 Energy sucks.

The entrance to Tourian is now a temple (now a full area like the area from M2 leading into the Queen's lair) on the surface left of the starting area, and requires High Jump to reach it.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Kraid]

Theme: Maze

Meant to be a maze that takes advantage of the screen wrapping thing in the game.

You fall through holes floors to end up on the ceiling, then jump out of the pitfalls to advance.

You also run through walls to end up on the other side.

Kraid's lair is a long, vertical room, and actually has a Fake Kraid guarding High Jump.

You need High Jump to reach real Kraid, who is hiding elsewhere.

Real Kraid is fought in a room with platforms, and if Samus falls, she'll come down from the ceiling after taking a little damage.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Norfair]

Theme: Chemical Plant

Chemicals don't damage, but obscure the player's view.

Leads into bubble area.

Short on ideas for this area.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Ridley]

Theme: Weapons Factory

Nothing here yet, but will be a weapons factory with liquid gold.

Lots of missiles here, and the Screw Attack.

Not a lot of ideas here yet.

Ridley's room is a long, horizontal room (hopefully) with enemies guarding him.

Ridley has the environment to aid him as well, making the fight more irritating.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Tourian]

Theme: Horror, claustrophobia

A completely dark place (Samus' palette is darkened in this area to match.)

The Metroid outbreak has knocked out the power in the area.

The Ice Beam can only be found here.

The elevator stops before the bottom, and there's no way back to it unless you die.

E-Tanks will be placed in the elevator room going into Tourian to recharge if you die (which is unlikely.)

[/spoiler]

Grimlock

Nice to see another M1 hack in action.  Do you have any plans to work in custom graphics or music?  You'd be surprised how easy Tile Layer Pro is to use (I can answer any questions you might have).  Metroid Tuner is also really simple once you figure out the basics.  Then you have my tutorial on using guitar tablature (with the key I provided) for use in metroid tuner.  Give both apps a couple hours and I think you'll really enjoy what you're able to do with them. 

I've been considering creating a Metroid Tuner tutorial here at metroid construction (if Snarfblam doesn't have any objection) which expands on his tutorial at his blog.

Music, no.

Graphics, likely.

I'm considering giving suitless Samus a ponytail, and a different outfit.

The Power Suit might get a slight Dead Space-inspired redesign.

Might redesign the enemies and tiles, too.

Messing with So Much Hell, I think I finally have an idea for a themes for Ridley's area.

Claustrophobia: The vanilla rooms have lots of sidehoppers and stuff, so I'll push down the ceiling to bring the ones on the ceiling closer to the player.

Running on the roof: At points, the player will have to run on top of the room to get around and to pick up items.

Armory: Ridley will be a weapons facility. So, most of the extra items and missile packs will be moved to Ridley.