News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Year 2015 - Archives

Started by Vismund Cygnus, February 10, 2016, 09:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who made the Room of the Year?

Week 1 - Charmander106
7 (36.8%)
Week 3 - Benki
0 (0%)
Week 4 - Jefe962
1 (5.3%)
Week 5 - Benki
1 (5.3%)
Month 1 - Vismund Cygnus
1 (5.3%)
Month 2 - RT-55J
0 (0%)
Month 4 - Grimlock
3 (15.8%)
Month 6 - Vismund Cygnus
2 (10.5%)
Month 8 - Vismund Cygnus
4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Vismund Cygnus

The nominations for Room of the Year 2015 were tallied, and we have 9 finalists!
In order of week/month, they are:
[spoiler=Week 1 - Charmander106][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Week 3 - Benki][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Week 4 - Jefe962][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Week 5 - Benki][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Month 1 - Vismund Cygnus][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Month 2 - RT-55J][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Month 4 - Grimlock][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Month 6 - Vismund Cygnus][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Month 8 - Vismund Cygnus][/spoiler]

So, Metroid Construction, who will it be? Only you can decide!
Fame, glory, honour, #wreckage, it's all on the line for the competitors! But only one can take it all! Who will be crowned Room of the Year-er 2015?!
Room of the Year-er? Room-er of the Year? I honestly don't know anymore

Quietus

Charmander106 for me. There are some other nice rooms, particularly Grimlock's, but that room is just beyond delicious. :^_^:

Vismund Cygnus

[spoiler=Week 1 - Charmander106]Wow.

Okay but for real, my only complaint is that the blue background tiles are quite repetitive. But that's a really small gripe. This room is gorgeous.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Week 3 - Benki]I guess my only real problem with this room is that I'm not entirely sure how to traverse it. But your layering is fantastic and you made great use of what I consider to be one of the weakest base tilesets in the game.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Week 4 - Jefe962]I think of all the rooms that aren't mine, this one could use the most work. The transition between the Blue Brinstar tiles and the darker background stuff is a bit off, imo it looks a bit like the Blue Brinstar stuff is a layer above those tiles. Additionally I think the brown middleground stuff could've been done in a different colour to fit a little better, something a bit more yellow or orange maybe. But overall, nice stuff. It really conveys the feeling of an alien world to me.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Week 5 - Benki]I like the way your Brinstar rooms really feel like they're natural and growing. Most of that is likely due to your usage of those pipe tiles. Good stuff.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Month 1 - Vismund Cygnus]Some background on this room - I was tossing around the idea of a hack where from the beginning you can take two separate paths, each giving you a very different set of items. At times they would converge, and you may even feel as though you can jump across to the other path, but you would usually be blocked by something after a very short amount of exploration. As such, you'd essentially have to play the hack twice to get "the full experience". I ended up using the idea for my A.N.T.I. Contest hack, but obviously real life got in the way of what I was doing there.
Anyway, this is one of the palettes I ended up coming up with when thinking about that idea, and I thought it looked interesting enough to submit.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Month 2 - RT-55J]It's Metroid 2. What more could you want?[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Month 4 - Grimlock]This is beautiful. You've more artistic talent in your pinkie finger than I have in my entire body. If I could draw 1/10th as well as you can, I'd not have any of these pesky creative blocks where I don't know what I want to do.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Month 6 - Vismund Cygnus]This is another tileset I screwed around with while coming up with that A.N.T.I. Contest idea, only this one I actually used for it! Not that you'll ever see.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Month 8 - Vismund Cygnus]Here's a little bit of Sunshine. The area in question was an ancient ruin that the Space Pirates had busted open in their search for Phazon on planet Sunshine. Phantoon was to be the area boss. I actually have a fairly close-to-done handbook on Sunshine, that I might chuck out one day for funsies.[/spoiler]

MetroidMst

So while you terrible snotsucking biscuitbeaters are fapping over your nominations for RotY, just remember that I made far superior rooms that nobody nominated because everyone else wanted a chance. I get it, I'm too good for you pukepuckering sandbathers. #gitgud

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2hKgjSu6qQ[/spoiler]