News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Arrival (fixt 0.4)

Started by Jiffy, February 05, 2015, 04:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAM

MetroidX
Read "Talk of the day" topic for that. Anyway, fix'd 0.4 (what is already released) is close to the final version, but unpolished. Even collecting all the items doesn't give you 100%, for example. Max is 78 or 79. You can permastuck in 2 places. And more stuff like that.

You can play it, but for the finished product please wait 'till Jefe will release it.

Steel Sparkle

Apparently this game hasn't been fully polished yet but i still gave it a shot..
For how i feel on the game..

[spoiler]I loved it all the way through.. I didn't encounter any bugs or permastucks. Maybe i was lucky on that part. I also loved the mechanics of the game. I noticed a lot of stuff from PB in this hack and that's always awesome plus i actually liked the water physics in this hack too. Best part was i never got lost and never had any trouble finding anything. I loved the custom soundtrack used in some area's especially the remix of Brinstar from metroid 1.. Ohhhh that was my favorite track in that entire hack :^_^: I was a bit dissapointed at the end since there was no final boss.. It was metroids that took a lot of missiles and suddenly boom.. Otherwise i loved this and would love to see more hacks with custom tracks.. Im kinda a sap for custom tracks. :^_^: [/spoiler]

advancedpillow

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on June 11, 2015, 11:07:57 AM
Apparently this game hasn't been fully polished yet but i still gave it a shot..
For how i feel on the game..

[spoiler]I loved it all the way through.. I didn't encounter any bugs or permastucks. Maybe i was lucky on that part. I also loved the mechanics of the game. I noticed a lot of stuff from PB in this hack and that's always awesome plus i actually liked the water physics in this hack too. Best part was i never got lost and never had any trouble finding anything. I loved the custom soundtrack used in some area's especially the remix of Brinstar from metroid 1.. Ohhhh that was my favorite track in that entire hack :^_^: I was a bit dissapointed at the end since there was no final boss.. It was metroids that took a lot of missiles and suddenly boom.. Otherwise i loved this and would love to see more hacks with custom tracks.. Im kinda a sap for custom tracks. :^_^: [/spoiler]

Oh yeah. The suitless water physics, awesome. Just enough to slow you down but not to the point of being annoying.

Cpt.Glitch

Aw, I almost thought he released the final version when seeing a new post in this thread.  But alas, that is not the case.
Sadly this means more waiting.

Metaquarius

So I couldn't wait any longer. I did beat the hack a few weeks ago and it was fun overall. My only gripe is that Kraid's entrance is not really obvious (find the random bomb block thing you know), the same could be said about Charge Beam... which is strange considering the whole hack is pretty straightforward.
Anyway, good job Jefe. :^_^:

JAM

Lazymoth

Jefe, you are an absolutely wonderful game and level designer and JAM you are awesome for doing so much polish work. You guys are rad. Looking great, can't wait to play. This is one of my favorite hacks.

Jiffy

I'd like to clarify this.
JAM has the countdown of tasks in his Signature. Some of the things I did not even ask for, but hell, it's the JAMpion who's doing this for me and everyone. It'll be done when it's done. If we are waiting a year, so be it.
Quote from: Lazymoth on July 29, 2015, 12:09:53 PM
Jefe, you are an absolutely wonderful game and level designer
Haha, I think you did a typo there.

Cpt.Glitch

As long as it's good, I'll wait a decade to play it.

Steel Sparkle

A decade you say? you heard the man! 10yrs before release!  :lol:
Jokes aside i look forward to it too.

Quietus

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on August 02, 2015, 10:27:42 AM
A decade you say? you heard the man! 10yrs before release!  :lol:
It will still beat Fear by seven years. :grin:

Lazymoth

Quote from: Jefe962 on August 02, 2015, 04:40:54 AM

Arrival definitely has both great game design and level design. :yay:

RealRed

Quote from: Lazymoth on August 03, 2015, 01:27:10 PM

Considering his age, I'm scared to know what he'll make next. He might turn out to be a metroid hacking jesus.

Jiffy

Quote from: RealRed on August 03, 2015, 01:32:20 PM

Considering his age, I'm scared to know what he'll make next. He might turn out to be a metroid hacking jesus.
We already got one of those, and it's Metaquarius. I've tried to learn ASM, but it's gotten me nowhere.  :pale:

Quote58

Quote from: Jefe962 on August 03, 2015, 03:49:55 PM

We already got one of those, and it's Kejardon/Scyzer/Metaquarius.

FTFY

Also you probably didn't try asm for very long, it takes some patience but once you get into it it's very rewarding and can be lots of fun. Plently of people around to help too.

JAM

Quote from: Quote58 on August 03, 2015, 05:10:38 PM
Quote from: Jefe962 on August 03, 2015, 03:49:55 PM

We already got one of those, and it's Kejardon/Scyzer/Metaquarius.

FTFY

Also you probably didn't try asm for very long, it takes some patience but once you get into it it's very rewarding and can be lots of fun. Plently of people around to help too.
But there IS actually stuff that not require to use ASM at all.
Like this:

JAM

Steel Sparkle

Oh that's a really nice touch Jam. nice work!

Quietus

Yeah, it looks pretty good. I'd say that it might look a tiny bit better if the energy tanks were centred vertically (or even made larger to cover the same height as the icons), but I suspect that's more work than it's worth. :^_^:

Jordan5

I'd say as the top row is now free placing a reserve tank row up there would look nice, instead of the auto looking squashed in as it is now. But yeah, looks nice :^_^:

advancedpillow

Looks great just the way it is to me, JAM.

Jiffy

Quote from: JAM on August 19, 2015, 12:32:25 AM
Little update to the HUD.

Why don't you add boxes for the keys on the row above the Energy tanks? It'd show which are collected, and which are left... anyway, I find it cool.
Also Jordan, reserve tanks are the keys.  :^_^:

Jordan5

I know, but they still give you reserve energy (or they did) so you still have them. Putting the keys there as well would work well :^_^:

Steel Sparkle

Honestly i have waited for a HUD or patch that shows all your energy at once rather than 99 at a time. But that key idea sounds nice but i think it's fine how it is.

JAM

Finally did this.

Yes, just a single screenshot, but it took over 25 hours to make it work as it should. I even take a long break because of this one. Finally, the keys are placed.