News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Arrival (fixt 0.4)

Started by Jiffy, February 05, 2015, 04:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianfrombristol

Yes, great work Grime (and not forgetting Jefe). 

Anybody want to give a hint where I find bombs?  I've pretty much got everything else but I'm missing something obvious I'm sure i.e. is there a wrecked ship section?

Jiffy

[spoiler]Bombs are on the other side of the Fever Swamp. (left of the Landing Site). And no, there is no Wrecked Ship area.[/spoiler]

Jordan5

Obviously I know where things are, but please use spoiler tags for other people. . .

Digital_Mantra

I thought you'd have surely fixed the permastuck via the 3 closing gates.

Also don't rely on savestations in this hack yet, some are very broken.
Guess I can't play this on my couch until I'm going for deathless.

begrimed

What's wrong with save stations? I tested every single one of those motherfuckers out after resetting AND dying, and I thought I had all of them working perfectly. What did I do wrong in my testing? Do you know how to fix them? Sure it's not a .SRM thing messing you up?

Anyway, here's a patch that removes the door piush pointed out, fixes the ship underside GFX when taking off, and gets rid of the permastuck gates.

ARRIVAL FIXT 0.3

DonnyDonovan

Did I miss the charge beam somewhere?   I have found all of the bosses extremely easy so far but Gold Torizo has suddenly upped the ante quite a bit.

Edit:  NVM.  Went back and found it in the area where I suspected it might be but had moved right past it the first time and never given it any thought until that battle.  Yeah, that's a different fight with Charge Beam equipped, and more in line with the difficulty of the other bosses. 

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Grime on February 16, 2015, 08:49:54 PM
What's wrong with save stations? I tested every single one of those motherfuckers out after resetting AND dying, and I thought I had all of them working perfectly.

I dunno man, it was the savestation in walrus before the left to norf and right to mari, it took me to the upper part of landing site with everything i obtained so far except for missiles.

Edit: Happens for all savestations actually, I use snes9x. Must be an issue on my end, also playing the newest patch.
Edit 2: They work if I die and return to game, but if you close the emulator, or reload the game, then it happens.

begrimed

Try deleting the .SRM file with the same name as your ROM, or renaming your ROM something else. Is anybody else having this same problem with saves?

EDIT: NEVERMIND, they were messed up because of the text intro, which is fixed now.

ARRIVAL FIXT 0.4
-Save stations fixed for real this time
-Charge beam given a better visual hint
-Moved the e-tank near ice beam to a better nearby spot
-Fixed non-working spikes in final area
-Fixed speedboost run-way in final area

WindowHead suggested better rewards from bosses (power bomb from Draygon is kinda lame since you already have them), so, if anyone can suggest item location swaps or anything that won't introduce a million new permastuck situations, I'm all ears.

Jordan5

[spoiler]
So when I was testing an early version, the intention was Power bombs are meant to be obtained at draygon, but you could do a sequence break that involved shinespark echos and a gate in order to obtain them early. Has this changed? I know Jiffy wanted to make it possible to do a no boss run.
[/spoiler]

Jiffy

Quote from: Jordan5 on February 17, 2015, 04:30:48 AM
[spoiler]
So when I was testing an early version, the intention was Power bombs are meant to be obtained at draygon, but you could do a sequence break that involved shinespark echos and a gate in order to obtain them early. Has this changed? I know Jiffy wanted to make it possible to do a no boss run.
[/spoiler]

This is exactly what I intended. Originally...
[spoiler]Draygon would give Power Bombs as the prize, which meant you could collect the Chozo Key for the area. If you wanted to skip Draygon, you'd have to do a Chain Shinespark, then do a Green Gate Glitch to the gate on the right. If you defeat Draygon though, these Power Bombs would be available through a small passage.[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

This is really fun to play through.  It looks great.  Some of the music choices make for a nice change.  My only complaints are an almost silly lack of difficulty if one collects all the goodies (and I like easier hacks), the couple of lame boss rewards as mentioned, and, the extremely abrupt ending, although I understand  this may still be changed in a future update.  Thank you Jefe and thank you Grime, Windowhead and others who put your time and effort into this.  'Tis a winning hack. 

Digital_Mantra

perhaps a savestation to the right when you enter the last area. people will undoubtedly be going back to refill on ammo. and maybe a good place to stock up close to the elevator leading in mari. final thoughts.

JAM

Quote from: Grime on February 15, 2015, 10:23:45 PM
Not sure which version jefe applied, but it's because of spazer/plasma, yeah. I'll try patching on a newer one later and see how that goes.
Well, if I don't miss something, v0.994 should be enough. It's not because of the patch it's because of "how developers made it". Maybe even few pointers change. Don't remember exactly.

Quote from: Grime on February 15, 2015, 10:23:45 PM
How easy is it to make him set the escape? I'm almost finished with this, so if it's gonna be hard to set up, I won't bother with it.
About hour of work. Not so much. I'll do that this week.

Smiley

2:08, 76%

Really nice hack, but give this thing a proper ending. All that buildup and then... credits. It's a really disappointing end to an otherwise great hack. :neutral:

JAM

So, I did what promised. Get the patch here. So, Phantoon can be returned and room 7DE4D -- removed.

Metaquarius

Are we to assume 0.4 is the final version or are there more huge fixes to come ? I really want to play this hack. :bounce:

Kte

I would also like to play this, but I want it to be fully complete before I do so.

Quietus

I'm thirding Kte's seconding of Metaquarius's 'is it done?' :?:

Metaquarius

So what ? Maybe should I say please or some secret word to get Jefe out of his silence ? Looks like our fair contributors don't even know where it's going and that's a shame. So much for a "community hack"...

Jiffy

Oh, sorry. I've been busy with GCSE stuff at the moment. Just had the Options form come this Friday, and once that's out the way, I'll take a look at adding the Phantoon Escape into the hack. :^_^:

Nikoshiba

Is "fixt 0.4" a beatable version...?

Quietus

I think it's already beatable, but it doesn't include a final boss, which we are trying to get back in for a final, final, last, ultimate final version. :^_^:

DonnyDonovan

Yes, it's a quick play, and perfectly beatable.  I think .4 is pretty much bug-free in fact.  The ending is just very, very abrupt.

It's a good hack with nice level design.  It's a lot of fun.  It's very, very easy if you collect what you find.

Nikoshiba

Okay Thank you... So I'll waiting for this ultimate final version... Keep the faith ! ^^

Quietus

Yeah, I think there are a few of us waiting to sample the final product. :^_^: