News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Community Fusion Race

Started by Kte, January 31, 2015, 01:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhazonKnight

Fusion times are IGT because of text mashing. After all, we shouldn't punish a player for not being able to press a fast enough. Also, the minimum amount of missiles you should have is 40 unless you like power bombing and charge beaming Nettori a lot.

Kte

Hey thanks! That makes a lot of sense. The text mashing is one disadvantage of the race.

Hawntah

You could allow the use of the autofire feature found in certain emulators. Just press a key and it will take care of the mashing for you. It makes playing through Fusion a lot more bearable.

RealRed

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on February 03, 2015, 07:08:48 PM
@Bloodsonic: I actualy believe Ridley is easier than nightmare on a 1% run. I've managed to beat him without losing a single e tank and used no missiles. I probably won't be able to get past Serries on a 1% run though.
Yeah, using missiles on Ridley is kind of idiotic anyway. Charge beam totally mashes him. I'm typically too impatient (and have enough energy tanks) that I don't bother avoiding him usually. I guess he can't be too impossible on a 1% run but I just don't know because lol, never made it past nightmare.
You couldn't get past serris? he's pretty low on the food chain... just don't fall in the water.

Cpt.Glitch

@Bloodsonic: Yea I really suck at dodging his attacks I rarely fall on the water, I'm just bad a predicting his movement patterns.

personitis

Quote from: PhazonKnight on February 03, 2015, 09:26:50 PM
Fusion times are IGT because of text mashing. After all, we shouldn't punish a player for not being able to press a fast enough. Also, the minimum amount of missiles you should have is 40 unless you like power bombing and charge beaming Nettori a lot.
This is stupid reasoning and not why it's not recorded as game time. I can't recall what the reasons are, but there exists a thread I read a while back that lists the reasons with explanations. What I can remember (if I'm remembering correctly) is that they stick to game time due to real time strats being different, not many having a tied world record (at the time of writing at least; 4 people now have it), and that running for game time is just how it's been for the longest. If you ask me, nearly all games should run RTA, with exceptions where loading could be an issue or other time-altering scenarios outside of the game's immediate control.

Oh yeah, here's the leaderboard topic on M2K2 for anyone who cares.

PhazonKnight

Meh those are good reasons too person, but I was told it had to do with text mashing before. But anyway, that doesn't matter.

@Bloodsonic Ridley on 1% is a joke if you can Space Jump well, as you can continuously stay in the top left corner and fire charged shots by R shooting
https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Metroid_Fusion/Game_Mechanics_and_Tricks

Cpt.Glitch

Didn't think of that phazon knight... I just stayed in the bottom right and moved when he got near me lol. Here is how Ridley should always be killed: http://youtu.be/zgCUrSl7sTo

Kte

As of now let's plan to race Saturday, April March 7. If a majority of people can make it that day, then that's when the race will be. If not, then say another Saturday AFTER April March 7 that you can race and we may try to work that out, but we can't push it our forever. Hopefully April March 7 works for enough people. Also, let us plan for 2pm EST so that everyone is accommodated. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask me.

SlyPork

Kte: I believe you mean to say, March 7.

April 7 is on a Tuesday  :lol:

Kte

Okay, as was promised, the poll for race category would be closed today. The category we will be racing is Any%. There is just under a month until the race date, so get your practice in!

Cpt.Glitch

Do we know if a 1% run will follow for shits and giggles?

Kte

At some point, yes. Not directly after though. It would be hilarious.

Kte

How would y'all feel if the race was moved to Sunday instead (the 8th)?

Cpt.Glitch

Depends on the time. May not be able to at all if it is though.

Kte

I am always most likely to be available at night time, but people in later time zones cannot do it when it is night here. I guess 2pm EST would still be best for those people.

Cpt.Glitch

I probably won't make it then if it is moved. I'm usually busy most of my Sunday.

SlyPork

So when do we find out when the race is? I need to know soon so I don't waste my time practicing all day. If the date does get changed, then I'm just going to Op-out.

Edit: After consideration, I recommend just postponing it until a later month, say April or May, or even for during the summer. No need to give an official date yet but we may be able to get more participants if word spreads about a potential race in a later month.

Kte

I hate to have gotten people's hopes up and change the date the day before it was going to be, but you are right, if it happens during the summer or something, people will have more time to practice and probably get more excited about it. I will not be able to make it tomorrow, but if y'all who wanted to still do, I don't see why you shouldn't. So yes, the race is still on for tomorrow at 2. At some time in the future, I will organize (more so than this time) another fusion race. No reason fusion shouldn't be raced all the time! :)

MetroidMst

Thanks to those who joined in the "fun" today! (Kte asked me to kick people in the teeth if they didn't show.) Another community race down, and another batch of people who may have witnessed what went down. And right now, those people are wondering how the racers actually manage to hack Metroid. . . Anyway, Kte is actually pretty right about one thing. No reason we should only do hacks for the community races. Racing the original games we make the hacks from is also pretty fun. (Even if Adam saps it all away.)

SpoOkyMagician

I see techno uploaded a video of it on youtube. I will watch his later. (Too late now.) Hope it went well for everyone.

~ SpoOkyMagician

Cpt.Glitch