News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Kona Challenge Hack

Started by foosda, January 21, 2015, 03:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foosda

Hi this is a really bad hack,

I didn't spend long making it, so its not very polished, nor is it much different from the original game. I'm mainly posting it here because ED wanted me to, and in case anyone else feels like testing their knowledge and skill at boss fights.

The main differences are the boss fights, as they are considerably harder. To give you an idea of what to expect here's the original challenge picture: http://imgur.com/g8bhoMr

Since I didn't know how to do the asm to disable certain things during boss fights, the phantoon, crocomire, spore spawn, golden torizo, and kraid fight rules should still be followed.

I did a quick playthrough and it should be completely fine, but give me a holler if it needs some fix. Also feel free to ask questions about how to get past a certain part (lookin at you, moat.)

necessary skills: ceiling ibj, mastery of boss patterns/fights, good enemy dodging skills.

Retroo

i really want to play it when you start with "Hi this is a really bad hack"...

The Monster of Surrealton

"Since I didn't know how to do the asm to disable certain things during boss fights, the phantoon, crocomire, spore spawn, golden torizo, and kraid fight rules should still be followed."

You really should've held off on releasing this until you did, seeing that this is apparently the most important part of this hack.

Or moved the items around so you can't get them before they're "unlocked."

foosda

well that's surprising, because that wasn't my aim when I said "hi this is a really bad hack."  I don't really care if you want to or don't want to, its a challenge.

Guess I need to clarify. This was a challenge designed by me to be played on the original vanilla sm. Because of its difficulty level, pretty much every top tier Super Metroid runner forfeited. Only one person finished, and it took him around 20 hours and 3 separate segments to do so.

This hack was designed to make it SLIGHTLY easier, but also still offer the same significant challenges that the original challenge offered.

If extraordinary difficulty sounds like your cup of tea, try it out. If not, pass on by.

I did move the items around to follow most of the rules. I had no intentions of learning the ASM to disable firing while aiming anywhere but down, and to remove missiles. Its not terribly difficult for the player to read the challenge and say: oh hey I guess I can't use missiles during the phantoon fight, or oh hey I cant use supers during croc/kraid.

Items are given as rewards correctly upon defeating bosses, and the other items are unable to be obtained.