News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Tilesets and BG3 questions

Started by raygun, February 06, 2015, 08:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raygun

So there's this awesome thing called inserting custom tilesets. I followed Flamingcobra's tutorial on inserting tilesets with NLZGBA, and got the tileset to work. But the background goes crazy. I replaced tileset 'A' because it was unused, and spent hours on the TSA editor in DH arranging the tiles to match the original. The clipdata, level layer, foreground, and backlayer work well, only the background image is a jumbled mess.

Attempting to import a new background via Interdpth's tutorial has resulted in the destruction of the room. (random jumbled graphics of random palettes and no clipdata at all, you just fall through the bottom and loop to the top.
     I also tried a cheesy workaround by just uniformly placing black tiles in the backlayer, and it kind of got its job done, though by no means was a solution. Also these graphics are in there that must be from somewhere else in the ROM (they are not in the tileset) You can see them in the screenshot; they are these 8x8 strips that have the letters "ey|choz" and some other area name junk. They appear in front of everything I think and show up only after the game is paused and unpaused.

Of course, this is most likely the product of inserting a tileset into a non-original ROM, but a solution to this would make things a lot easier.

Hawntah

The same thing happens when you change a room's tileset in the Header Editor. I don't know of any solutions, although to be honest, I haven't tried too hard to find one.

The one time I tried importing a bg, I managed to change the bg successfully, but it contained some visual artifacts, so I just assumed it was buggy like everything else. Maybe try with a different version of DH?

raygun

I have tried other versions, unfortunately the problem persists. Actually I forgot about this but I have a partial solution that I acquired through a period of random trial and error. It's not applicable in my case, because I used an otherwise unused tileset, but after changing the tileset, if the background does the thing, normally you can go to Header Editor->Background Image->Offset and copy and paste the offset from a room that originally used that same tileset. It should fix the background. If it doesn't, then its because I only did this once as an experiment and haven't really confirmed it.

Hawntah

So, after several failed attempts:
[spoiler=No schwoopy loopy][/spoiler]
I managed to get background importing working... kind of.

Here's what I did:
1. Download the 14/02/2009 version of DH, grit, and usenti. Extract grit and put it in the same folder as DH.
2. Steal Acquire a 256x256 image and open it in usenti.
3. Palette -> Requantize -> 16
4. Apply ZMBGi.ips to ROM.
5. Open ROM in DH. Room Tools -> Insert Stuff -> Select File, then Import, then Save to ROM.

The result:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

As you can see, it seems to be overwriting some of the regular tiles as well.  :nope:

Grimlock

I have to say, that does produce some impressive results graphically.

Hawntah

Quote from: Grimlock on February 08, 2015, 07:57:31 AM
I have to say, that does produce some impressive results graphically.
Does that mean your next hack is going to be a ZM hack?