News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Grim Graphics [M1]

Started by Grimlock, January 17, 2015, 11:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimlock

WARNING - This thread contains graphics of an experimental nature, your safety is not ensured, itchy eyes, burned retinas, and or complete loss of vision is entirely possible and likely... viewership is at your own risk.  (Consult website staff for additional details)

So anyway... I experiment with different concepts from time to time so I figured why not slap a few out there for the fun of it....

M1 silhouette concept
I started this today so it's pretty early.  It's an interesting concept with a lot of possibility.  It's on the bland side right now but that could certainly change if I decide to pursue this concept further.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

MetroidMst

I have to admit that I personally love the silhouette look. There was a Super Metroid hack that did the same thing, and it unfortunately never got finished, but the style is still interesting.

Grimlock

One of the benefits of the silhouette concept is it would allow a lot of variation in the surface edge since most tiles would only require two unique 8x8 tiles.  That variation would definitely be needed to keep the level design from getting too repetitive and bland which would be the real challenge over the length of the whole game.

I've always liked the silhouette concept, the coolest looking game to use the concept was Limbo.  Maybe I'll replay Limbo and get some ideas for M1 silhouette and keep it on the back burner.

Cloud20

It's funny you mentionned Limbo. We had some discussion with Nikoshiba about the influence it could give to Metroid hacking. I think we have a common reference now Grimlock for our future projects  :^_^:

Quietus

Hey, we have enough hacks that die a slow death in limbo as it is.  Let's not encourage it. :yay:

Grimlock

Ice theme (As seen on ROTW)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Super Metroidy Version....  :wink:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Grimlock

Once upon a time I thought to create a Metroid hack where each level is from a different classic NES game:

I made this a while ago, figured I'd add it to the graphics thread...  Maybe I'll revisit it in the future.

Metroids 'n Goblins
(Ghosts 'n Goblins graphics)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Super Metroid Brothers
(Super Mario Bro 1 graphics)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I think it would be a fun concept, "Metroid - NES Cross-over".

Grimlock

An experimental waterfall graphic I put together today.  I took some screenshots as I went along, I figured sharing it might be useful to someone down the road.  Kind of a mini tutorial.

Evolution of a 36 meta-tile 8 frame waterfall animation:

First we start with laying out the 288 individual tile frames:
(does it get any more tedious than this?)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Next the tile frames are cleaned up into a grid pattern:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Using the grid pattern for reference between frames details are added:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

The final touches are made and the grid is removed after several hours of work and testing:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

The final in game structure utilizes a combination of air and solid tiles.  The main player sprites feet are submerged into to top meta-tile row, standing on a row of solid meta-tiles.  The remainder of the structure is air allowing the player to move through the waterfall. The bottom 4 tile by 6 tile section tiles onto itself allowing for smooth animation across a taller waterfall.

Graphics editing application: Tile Layer Pro

Quietus

You should provide us with a nice video of it in action, or perhaps even a .gif. :^_^:

passarbye

Quote from: Quietus on April 29, 2015, 04:58:46 AM
You should provide us with a nice video of it in action, or perhaps even a .gif. :^_^:
^
looks great otherwise

Grimlock

I'll post a video or gif eventually, right now it's still a work in progress.  :wink:

Grimlock

Some area graphics I was experimenting with over the summer:

Industrial theme:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

I can't help but see that central pillar as a bird with its wing out, telling you to go left. :^_^:

snarfblam

You know... I'd be curious to see what this stuff would have looked like without NES graphics limitations. Either way, definitely good stuff.

Grimlock

Yea, it's amazing how quickly the limits are hit with the NES.  Working with a less limiting platform actually sounds very appealing now that we're getting close to wrapping up Rogue Dawn.

Lunaria

Quote from: Grimlock on February 26, 2015, 09:01:24 AM

Super Metroidy Version....  :wink:

Wait, hang-on, is that really the samus sprite from super? Because it looks different..., somehow. (Feels prime-y) If it's a custom one, please supply the sheet.  :shocking:

Grimlock

That Samus is actually part of my secret Super Metroid "Photoshopoid" hack project....  I'm having a bit of trouble though, I can't seem to find any emulators that will load the .PSD file the editor generates....   :cry:

Grimlock

So here's something I've been wanting to do for a long time:

Note: Not related to the Rogue Dawn project, also I may release this for others to use.  I placed the graphics in a "'Roidz" hack ROM.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Palette variations:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

In case it isn't immediately obvious where the above graphics are ripped from:

(Insert drumroll here)

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The Monster of Surrealton

For some reason, the screens make me think about Flashback and Out of this World.

sm cory

wow! these pics look like a 2016 Nintendo ds game  :heheh: