News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Disturbance

Started by raygun, January 14, 2015, 06:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raygun

So, I saw Interdpth's hack of Zero Mission called Disturbance, and it was unfinished. I found the latest version of it and made changes to it so that it might be considered a new game- although a large majority of the room layout is the same, the map layout is largely changed. Major modifications to the route. I am not sure if Interdpth is okay with this because I kind of just took his partially finished hack and used his program to change it up. I may upload a patch - its fully playable, but I am not sure whether its okay with the original creator.

There are numerous issues with this hack that some may find disagreeable. However, on account of i am a nube and only use DH and have messed something up with the room size or something, DH crashes after I try to save it now, so I am basically done. The Issues that are left with this hack:

1. You can't leave Chozodia and go back to Crateria. Something messed up the glass tube thing and it just doesn't do anything.
2. You get stuck in a spot in Norfair if you go for the wave beam without Speed booster.
3. Door's glitch sometimes, wierd and uncommon but they can be morph balled under or reopened. Youll know what I mean if you see it.
4. The map is useless, and I have no intention of fixing it. I used rooms in different spots, so the map is not helpful at all.
5. Graphical glitch at the beginning. happened to the original hack. pause and unpause in order to fix.
6. YOU CAN FACE MECHA RIDLEY WITHOUT DEFEATING THE MOTHER BRAIN, OR ANY OF THE METROIDS.
7. you can also fight the chozo guardian with your suit.
8. you may get stuck in Norfair if you do not have Super missiles
9. Ridley fight Balancing issues [spoiler]You have the gravity suit so you can stand in the lava and shoot him and he can't reach you[/spoiler]
10.there is a door in ridley that is effectively a wall.
Despite the issues, if you keep them in mind, the hack isn't too shabby. Some rooms are full of mumbo jumbo but overall its pretty clean. It also incorporates Trunaur68's menu patch.

Screenshots:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

As of now something is wrong with the rom (space issues or something) So i won't be fixing any of these issues, just keep them in mind as you play and resist the urge to [spoiler][/spoiler]

So I figured i'd just put it up. Here ya go, credit to Trunaur68 and Interdpth for parts of it... that i used without permission but hopefully they won't mind?

Quietus

To post images, you'll need to upload them to an image hosting site, copy the forum url, then paste it between img tags, like so:
[img]www.imagelinkgoeshere.com/image.png[/img]
To hide the image (or anything else) beneath a spoiler button, just do the same thing with spoiler tags, like so:
[spoiler][img]www.imagelinkgoeshere.com/image.png[/img][/spoiler]

Hawntah

Just beat Kraid and I must say I'm not really impressed. So far it's just been a buggy, mediocre half hack with barely any room layout changes and lowered difficulty compared to the original. Does it get any better later on?

raygun

To be honest I didn't really change that much outside of Ridley and brinstar. I ran into a problem preventing me from making any more changes. To answer your question, Yes, at least I think so. boss battles get harder.

Hawntah

Quote from: raygun on January 15, 2015, 06:25:36 AM
I ran into a problem preventing me from making any more changes.
Have you tried opening the ROM in a hex editor and adding several thousand FF's at the end?

raygun

No but i did try opening my cd drive and blowing into it to no avail. I decided to give up on this after I recognized its many sacrilegious design flaws. and to start anew! its going to be called Metroid Something.

interdpth

Quote from: raygun on January 15, 2015, 11:53:23 PM
No but i did try opening my cd drive and blowing into it to no avail. I decided to give up on this after I recognized its many sacrilegious design flaws. and to start anew! its going to be called Metroid Something.
Yeah, I'm bad at the actual hacking part. But Disturbance did have some neat tricks and stuff in it. I mean that finished crocomire <3 That intro skip<3
My level design is utter shit :(

Ridley12

Guys, I'm officially stuck. The elevator to Norfair is blocked by some unidentifiable blocks, there's no item in the northeastern room, I can't explore the part at the very northeast, I can't do anything at the northwest corner (obviously), and I have no idea what to do about the two squares with the up and down doorways/paths in the southwest corner.

Ridley12

Since I can't upload the picture itself (which stinks, by the way, that you can't upload picture files separately), I put it in a Word document. I also have to put it in a .zip folder, since my Microsoft Word version uses .docx.

interdpth

I feel bad and may finish this one day.