News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

My thoughts for the website side of things (input wanted)

Started by GF_Kennon, April 12, 2015, 02:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF_Kennon

So, as you probably all know, SparkConst is supposed to have an actual website for itself (think http://shinespark.metroidconstruction.com) but very little has been done in terms of a kind of design plan, so I decided I would post what I think it should look like and have you guys add to it.

I figure the home page should look like MetConst's home page, but we will be going with a blue/purple theme based on a mockup of the resources page. The banner at the top will likely read Shinespark Construction and the tabs will probably be Leaderboards|Resources|Wiki|Forum|Chat|YouTube|MetConst; usual stuff really. I'll be able to post updates to the main page just like on the MetConst home page too (yay for automated systems!).

Anyway, clicking on the leaderboards page would take you to a page similar in design to the current hacks page: you would have Hack Title|Author|Game|Runs|Categories. This page would be sorted by alphabetical order, though you should still be able to search it like the current hacks page (for example, by who made the hack). Runs would be a total of how many runs have been attempted for this game that have been submitted, and Categories would likely be icons or short bits of text to show what runs for this hack have been attempted - think how on the hacks page, we have stuff like [UH] for example. I would like your input on this.

Anyway, once you click a hacks page, you will be taken to a page similar in design to Top Hacks, except the year numbers would be categories for that hack, and clicking a tab would open up a leaderboard for that category. Columns could be something around Rank|Author|Time|Item%; you can click on each entry to be taken to a more detailed page similar to a hacks page. From here, an author of a run could input info like a download to an SMV file, Twitch recording, YouTube video, write a description of the run (highlight parts of it), etc, and make it possible for people to comment on the run itself with this system.

I also decided that TAS's would be kept separate, so there could be a "Project Base" board and a "Project Base [TAS]" board. Just makes things easier I think.

Now, the other side is resources. Hacks might have unique strategies associated with them (I hear there is a lot for the likes of Project Base), so each hack can also have a resources board. Hacks would be listed in alphabetical order and you can click on a hack to get to a list of pages for each resource, listed newest first; most of these would probably be videos with short descriptions, likely hosted on the MetConst YouTube channel.

Most of this is up in the air right now, but ideally with some input from you guys, we should be able to get this refined into something that will get popular.

Edit: subdomain is up with some temp colours
Edit2: Resources to Strategies

personitis

This all sounds like a pretty solid system. The only thing I think may be unnecessary is the inclusion of the final percentage on the run's page. If we're sticking with the generic categories (any%, 100%, low%), only in one of those does a specific percent make a major difference and need to be listed (aside from 100% since that means all items). Are we even sticking to those three or are categories going to be user submitted? I believe you've already confirmed this while talking with me, but a section for notes if someone wants to leave some would be great as well.

My question however is a page about some of the more specific rules. Namely using out of bounds (OoB)/Space-Time Beam/Arbitrary Code Execution (ABE)/etc for even faster any% times where those are usually grouped together with "major glitches" and the lesser known "using GT code to put your percent at 100 faster" is not technically a 100% completion. I'm sure this itself could spark a bit of discussion, but for now I'm more curious about what the stance on having a page detailing such things is.

squishy_ichigo

Quote from: person701 on April 16, 2015, 09:21:47 AM
My question however is a page about some of the more specific rules. Namely using out of bounds (OoB)/Space-Time Beam/Arbitrary Code Execution (ABE)/etc for even faster any% times where those are usually grouped together with "major glitches" and the lesser known "using GT code to put your percent at 100 faster" is not technically a 100% completion. I'm sure this itself could spark a bit of discussion, but for now I'm more curious about what the stance on having a page detailing such things is.

Yeah, I think anything that's considered a major glitch like that should be separate, and not sure if a separate page is to clarify that specifically, but a page that explains submitting rules in general could hold such information, for sure.  Such a page could be linked at the top of the page with the other stuff, could be linked on the leaderboards, or may even only be needed as a person submits, however that system ends up as.