News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Various Music I've Made

Started by NARFNra, April 07, 2015, 10:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARFNra

I've been making simple songs for years, but around a year ago I started working on hacking Mega Man which galvanized me to start using a tracker. Ever since then I think I've improved a bit. Here's some of my stuff.

Trail of Empty Words - NES Composition.
Graveyard of Ideas  - NES Composition.
No End in Sight - NES Composition.
Lunar Desert - Game Boy composition.
Junk Sector - Game Boy composition. Originally composed for a Game Boy style shmup I had an idea for at some point.
Cavern of Shadows - Sega Genesis composition. Inspired by a Final Fantasy III dungeon, but only in name.
Give All to Gears - Another Sega Genesis composition. Similar vibe to Cavern of Shadows, I think.

I also do covers sometimes.
Contra Hard Corps ~ The Foggy Cave in the Darkness ~ NES Version
Original
Mega Man 6 ~ Mr. X Stage ~ Sega Genesis Version
Original
Verytex ~ Stage 3: Ruined Area~ NES Version
Original

And just for fun, here's a cover that I actually inserted into a rom.
Revenge of Shinobi ~ China Town in Mega Man 3
Original

passarbye

I liked your sega genesis themes, but i liked 'Give All to Gears' better than 'Cavern of Shadows'.

Grimlock

Nice work!  Music editing/hacking is definitely a well respected art, very difficult, not to many hackers can pull it off successfully.

NARFNra

I learned how to use Music Markup Language yesterday. It's a lot like Metroid Tuner, really, likely because they're essentially just converting sound engine data to text and back.
Here's everyone's favorite Metroid 1 song, now on the Game Boy. I might do the whole OST if you guys want.

Compiled using XPMCK.

;---------------------------------------------------------------
#TITLE Kraid's Theme GB
#GAME Metroid
#COMPOSER Hirokazu Tanaka
#PROGRAMER NARFNra
#OCTAVE-REV 0
;---------------------------------------------------------------

$v0 { v6 @ve-0 }
$v1 { v2 @ve-0 }
@WT0 = {15:0 0:15}

ABCD t180

A (L l4 o4 @1 $v0()
[e2 < b > a2cf+2d < b2 a+ >]4
[g2de2 < b > f+2da2e]2
l8 [[g < b >]3 [a+e]3 [ac]3 ad+f+d+bd+]4
[f+gab>d<b>f+d<agf+b>af+d<agf+ega>de r <]2
> [argrf+rerf+rgr]4
)

B (L l4 o4 @1 $v1()
r8 r16
[e2 < b > a2cf+2d < b2 a+ >]4
[g2de2 < b > f+2da2e]2
l8 [[g < b >]3 [a+e]3 [ac]3 ad+f+d+bd+]4
[f+gab>d<b>f+d<agf+b>af+d<agf+ega>de r <]2
> [argrf+rerf+r|gr]4 r16
)

C (L l4 o3 v3 WT0
[e > e2 <]16
[[c > c2 <]2 [d > d2 <]2]2
[e>e>e o3 f+>f+>f+ o3 f>f>f o2 b>b>b o3]4
[e2b > c2 < bc2g a2b]2
[e1]6
)

D ( l16 o10 @0 $v0()

)

Loop's a little odd, but I think it's fine.

Now that I think about it, Super Metroid uses an offshoot of the NSPC engine... If people can make MML for Super Mario World, it seems it wouldn't be too extreme to look into adapting AddMusicK to SM?

Grimlock

Sounds good, nicely done.  Can you use Music Markup Language with NES titles? 

NARFNra

You can, it was actually made for the NES I think. You don't even have to install anything, actually; you can use this website to do it anywhere you have internet access.

I went ahead and ported that Kraid to the NES to show it off. I did this really quickly so it might not be 100% correct.

I'll probably make a guide to this later since I imagine it's a decent composing tool if you don't want to load up the rom every time you test the song.

NAT

Hello NARFNra, it would be great, when you can port the whole famicom-disc-system-metroid-bgm to game boy-sound.

NARFNra

Famicom disk system, huh? Unfortunately, I can't get the extra sound channels the FDS version uses... but if you mean the NES OST, I'll get right on that after I finish up with my class finals (which are this week D:)

NAT

I look forward to it (NES-METROID-OST port to Game Boy Sound) and many thanks in advance NARFNra.