News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[MZM] [DH] Scrolling Trouble

Started by Cpt.Glitch, November 12, 2014, 10:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpt.Glitch

Brinstar room 2 is having this odd scrolling issue to where, upon me moving toward the door to the right, the screen does not follow. Screenshot below. I did not touch the scrolls to cause the error, but I recently tampered with it to attempt to fix the issue, but I have no clue how the scrolling editing works, could someone point me to a tutorial or simply tell me what to do?
[spoiler]As you can see the screen is not following Samus as normal.[/spoiler]

Quietus

There's a snippet in the help file about editing scrolls:
QuoteTo edit scrolls, you can click and drag anywhere within the scroll to place the top-left corner on the tile your mouse is located at, or you can right-click and drag to change the scroll's dimensions. Make sure you leave Edit Scrolls unchecked until you're ready to edit them.

Hawntah

Editing scrolls in DH is pretty buggy from my experience, and is likely to break completely unrelated rooms in horrible ways. Also, clicking to move the top left corner doesn't work on the first scroll in a room. You'd probably be better off editing the scrolls manually using a hex editor. The scroll pointer table starts at 0x75FAE4, but because many rooms don't have scrolls there's no simple way to find the room you want. I suggest you make a copy of your ROM, resize one of the scrolls in the room in DH and compare the two ROMs in a hex editor to find the edited bytes, and therefore the location of that room's scroll data.

Anyway, once you've found your room's scroll data, the syntax is:
2 byte "header"
[room number] [number of scrolls in room]

And then 8 bytes for each of the scrolls in that room:
[xStart] [xEnd] [yStart] [yEnd] FF FF FF FF

So for example, Brinstar room 0's scrolls (located at 0x60C630) look like this:
00 03  02 4C 16 1F FF FF FF FF  20 2E 02 17 FF FF FF FF  20 2E 1F 29 FF FF FF FF

And people wonder why nobody hacks Zero Mission...

Cpt.Glitch

Yea Zero Mission is very hard to hack. There are alot of bugs I've been working on for months, and more appear after I fix one. Sigh... maybe one day it'll happen.