News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Completed Hack: Escape From Planet Metroid

Started by Sylux, November 29, 2009, 11:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylux

Super Metroid: Escape from Planet Metroid is now complete and ready for play!

Having tired of being a mere and lowly spritefag, I have taken it upon myself to learn the ways of SMILE and become a mighty ROMhacker. The fruit of my first labor now ripens.

This is a small, 1/4 sized hack, just to get my hand in. Basically, you land on planet Metroid, but then get seperated from your ship and fall into a labyrinthine dungeon, and have to find your way back to the landing site to escape. I'm going for average difficulty on this; only slightly harder than Super Metroid, if at all. There are a handful of bosses, and an item count of 64. The game is a bit more linear than most metroid games until the penultimate area, at which point it gets more exploration based.

Enjoy!

[spoiler]

A recolor of the laser eels, making them blend in better with their tube-ridden environment.

Juggling palette pointers is fun! :D

Don't ask me to explain the biology here.

Various and sundry.[/spoiler]

EDIT: patch is temporarily unavailable due to complications in updating the patch. Hopefully the new version will be up soon.

personitis

Tip before Bloodsonic comes in and locks your topic: Use your emulator to take screen shots or have SMILE take room screenies for you, though the first is much more recommended.

GL/HF with the hack. ^_^

GF_Kennon

Why the damn hell do you think its Bloodsonic who's going to be knocking very hard on this threads door.
* GF_Kennon starts banging on the door

Get some pics in and upload and attach them, cant be too hard to print screen, CTRL + V in paint, and then save, upload, copy the attachment link, put it in some [img][/img] tags and VOLA, I don't have to lock you're topic.

Or like person said, just use an emulator, for ZSNES like I use, go to misc and then Misc Keys and set something for snapshot, the image will be placed where the ROM is, also make sure to press F1 and change the file from BMP to PNG :x

Silver Skree

Y'all chill out. Sylux's keyboard doesn't have a printscreen button, so shit like this is kinda hard for him.
Quote from: Sylux on November 29, 2009, 11:14:03 AMWish I could screencap, so I could give you some pics. Ah well.
I'll take screenshots for him, though, next time I talk with him. Just give it a bit.

Lunaria

The planet you fly to better look like a metroid! >:D

RealRed

Hello, pointless thread...

PM me if you've got something to show around.

Sylux

Lunaria

Looks interesting so far, good luck with the project!

Jathys

Quote from: Sylux on November 29, 2009, 11:14:03 AMHowdy folks. I've finally tired of being a spritefag and allowed Silver Skree to teach me SMILE.
But you're a good spritefag :oh:

Scyzer

1st pic looks excellent. 2nd and 3rd are kinda boring though, especially the 2nd. This has a lot of potential XD. Good luck!

Acheron

FYI, if you're using Windows, there's a virtual keyboard app (by default, Start Menu -> Accessories -> Accessibility) that has a "print screen" button on it.

GF_Kennon

Quote from: Acheron on December 01, 2009, 08:44:08 AM
FYI, if you're using Windows, there's a virtual keyboard app (by default, Start Menu -> Accessories -> Accessibility) that has a "print screen" button on it.

And if you removed that shortcut like me, just press the Windows key + U  :heheh:

Sylux

After a long hiatus, I've gotten back to ROMhacking. Silver Skree's been teaching me as I go, and I've gotten some tips from Kennon as well. Thanks, dudes!

Anyway, some more screenshots:

I played around with the statue head a bit. DMantra's work was probably an inspiration.

A look at the Sewers.

This hack may end up being a little bigger than I initially intended. Not nearly full sized, but a sizeable minigame. Still not sure which bosses to include, though.

Silver Skree

Quote from: Sylux on January 20, 2010, 10:20:44 PM

A look at the Sewers.
"His First FX1 A/B Effect" kit.
Includes easy-to-understand instructions and visual guides to help a hacker get started with setting up those oft-complex A/B FX1.

Call now and we'll throw in an adorable Silver Skree plushie, complete with energy siphon-mounted mallet, absolutely free.

personitis

Personally, I'd recommend some custom GFX for where the pipes overlay but it's fine seeing as how this a first for you. Nice layout, though a little to compact for my liking. Not too bad, keep up the work. ^.^

Sylux

Quote from: person701 on January 21, 2010, 02:11:20 PM
Personally, I'd recommend some custom GFX for where the pipes overlay but it's fine seeing as how this a first for you. Nice layout, though a little to compact for my liking. Not too bad, keep up the work. ^.^

Actually, I'm going to be doing some custom graphics soon anyway (need some damaged tiles for red brinstar). I can sprite some crosspipes as well.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Silver Skree

Not to mention that I'll be teaching him about using the Graphics Editor today, so the visuals should start improving quite nicely.  :^_^:

personitis

Good good. Well, good luck with that, the both of you (teacher and trainee). And now that I look at it, the pic with the pipes, I see double layer details. =P

Sylux

Back from a long hiatus (due to school, mostly).

I went over all the rooms and cleared them up some; the multiple layers of pipes were confusing and unnecessary. Here's the improved sewer room:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

And another, which I submitted for Room of the Week:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

The shape of the map is slowly working itself out. I now know where each area will be, how they'll connect, and what exactly will go in each. I'm estimating the finished hack to have around 20-30 rooms, for a decent sized minihack.

I'm having some trouble with the shaktool. Can't get him to move. Anybody got advice?

MetroidMst

Your first pic has a tiling error in the upper left scroll block with the purple BG tile. You should have an edge piece and you have a middle one instead. Otherwise the room looks fairly nice.

The second pic I personally have issues with, because the purple blocks usage. Just saying...

Sylux

Quote from: MetroidMst on April 03, 2010, 04:19:33 PM
Your first pic has a tiling error in the upper left scroll block with the purple BG tile. You should have an edge piece and you have a middle one instead. Otherwise the room looks fairly nice.

Good catch! Fixing now. Thanks for pointing this out.

QuoteThe second pic I personally have issues with, because the purple blocks usage. Just saying...

Hmm, care to explain?

Silver Skree

Quote from: Sylux on April 03, 2010, 04:25:25 PM
Quote from: MetroidMst on April 03, 2010, 04:19:33 PM
QuoteThe second pic I personally have issues with, because the purple blocks usage. Just saying...
Hmm, care to explain?
I think he means they look very cutoff. I see what you're trying to do by making them look like they're behind bricks, but the vertical bricks you're using are the furthest background bricks instead of frontmost, and as such they have a lot of black as the border. Try using one of the more 'frontward' bricks (Not sure if I'm making any sense).

Sylux

Well, its been a very long time.

I've gotten back into ROMhacking, and made a ton of progress on Escape from Planet Metroid. The game is shaping up to be a bit larger than I initially planned, more like 1/3 the size of original Super Metroid rather than 1/4. This is mostly due to the addition of a large jungle area, and plans to expand the final boss' lair.

http://i.imgur.com/nDOS3.png
http://i.imgur.com/9KHdS.png
http://i.imgur.com/VbkuW.png
http://i.imgur.com/olEiI.png

That said, I have a couple of things I could use a hand with, or at least some information.

1. I'm using grappleable enemies in one area. However, they occasionally seem to become nonresponsive, with no rhyme or reason. Like, they switch between grappleable and intangible during the same sitting. I've double checked everything in the room settings and enemy DNA, and I can't figure it out.

2. One of my save stations seems to stop working when you enter the room from a different door. I've tried rebuilding the load state from both doors, but the problem persists.

3. Is there a patch on here that reduces the gravity suit's damage-reducing capabilities to 1/2, rather than the 1/4 it is by default?

4. I'm trying to raise the horizon line in the crateria scrolling sky/lake background, but the most I seem able to do is royally fuck it up. Anyne with experience here?

Thanks a lot.

Quietus

Just embedding your images for you, so people can see them more easily:

Sylux

Quote from: Quietus on January 04, 2012, 01:42:42 PM
Just embedding your images for you, so people can see them more easily:

Oh, thanks. I tried to do that, but the embedding feature wasn't working for me. Weird.