News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Black Plague

Started by JamieWebb16, October 10, 2012, 09:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieWebb16

SUPER METROID
BLACK PLAGUE

Description: Samus is trapped in an wrecked facility with only her available items to escape.

Theme: Dark, Atmosphere

Credits: Grime for Project Base, Black Falcon for ASM, and Charmander106 for bug testing.

Skillset/s: Wall Jumping, Short Charge

ITEMS YOU START WITH:

-3 Energy Tanks
-Morph Ball
-Springball
-Charge Beam

LIST OF COLLECTIBLE ITEMS:

-20 Missiles
-10 Super Missiles
-4 Energy Tanks (Since you start out with 3)
-Morph Ball Bombs
-Grapple Beam
-Spazer Beam
-Gravity Suit
-Speed Booster

SCREENSHOTS:

*NOTE*Saving at a save station and replaying save file screws the map up.

Enjoy the first Super Metroid hack I have finally finished! :D

The patch is Unheadered!

Derakon

"Dark" is right, though I did appreciate that I could still see what I was doing most of the time. :) Ended with 7 E-tanks, 20 missiles, 10 super missiles, spazer, and I got the gravity suit after a lot of attempts. So I guess that's all the items.

Automatically spinjumping when you jump straight up makes shinesparking horizontally kind of a pain, and also means that you can't jump and then shoot diagonally upwards (since the first shot coming out of spinjump is always horizontal).

Also, the Spore Spawn fight was weirdly buggy for me -- the spore generators, and the powerups they dropped moved slowly off the bottom of the screen, leaving me with just SS going back and forth and no way to get more ammo (though you have the charge beam, so that hardly matters). First time I've ever seen a health pickup move around on its own, I have to say.

Seems like decent work, though. Congrats on finishing it. :)

passarbye

this looks great! will be playing later, as i have school.  :^_^:

Quietus

You didn't mention how many Energy Tanks there were to collect.  I ended up with seven.  Did I catch 'em all?

I got all of the rest on my first run. :^_^:

Some notes for you:
[spoiler]I got spat out inside vertical doors a few times.  It may have just been a few instances of the same door, but it was near the start area.
Spiked floors that you can't see until you hit them are not fun.
The Gravity Suit makes Phantoon too easy.
I know the idea is to escape, but some of the routes, especially early on, could do with better hints, as it risks falling into the bombing-every-block-is-not-fun trap.
A few more basic enemies would have been nice.
After the initial batch, the Spore Bot didn't release any spores.  Intentional?
In the dark rooms, I think it'd be better to still leave a faint outline of the basic room structure, rather than complete black.
IBJing was so easy that the Grappling Beam was never required, except for destroying the necessary blocks.  This might be worth changing if you want anybody to need it.
I liked the outdoorsy-looking part where the Spazer was.[/spoiler]

That's all for now. :^_^:

passarbye

this was wonderful to play through.
it felt empty enough, yet still had just enough life in it, and i loved the tile work and palettes.

i never did get spazer or gravity, so phantoon was challenging, but not too hard.
he actually felt more balanced that way, but that's probably just me.

great work overall, please continue with updates and making more hacks!

Quietus

For Gravity;
[spoiler]It's at the bottom of the spike pits you are supposed to cross with the Grappling Beam.  I just short charged by the door in the top left-hand corner, did one jump down to the bottom, then sparked to the left.[/spoiler]

For Spazer:
[spoiler]The second screenshot in the OP looks kinda fishy to me... :^_^:[/spoiler]

JamieWebb16

Quote from: Derakon on October 10, 2012, 10:17:17 PM
"Dark" is right, though I did appreciate that I could still see what I was doing most of the time. :) Ended with 7 E-tanks, 20 missiles, 10 super missiles, spazer, and I got the gravity suit after a lot of attempts. So I guess that's all the items.

Automatically spinjumping when you jump straight up makes shinesparking horizontally kind of a pain, and also means that you can't jump and then shoot diagonally upwards (since the first shot coming out of spinjump is always horizontal).

Also, the Spore Spawn fight was weirdly buggy for me -- the spore generators, and the powerups they dropped moved slowly off the bottom of the screen, leaving me with just SS going back and forth and no way to get more ammo (though you have the charge beam, so that hardly matters). First time I've ever seen a health pickup move around on its own, I have to say.

Seems like decent work, though. Congrats on finishing it. :)

Quote from: passarbye on October 11, 2012, 10:43:32 PM
this was wonderful to play through.
it felt empty enough, yet still had just enough life in it, and i loved the tile work and palettes.

i never did get spazer or gravity, so phantoon was challenging, but not too hard.
he actually felt more balanced that way, but that's probably just me.

great work overall, please continue with updates and making more hacks!

Thank you all for playing and I will make BIG updates to the hack later on. ;)

Quietus

passarbye

actually you helped me find spazer and gravity, so thanks for that.  :yay:

oh, duh. i know what you mean now.  :heheh:

Digital_Mantra

Really enjoyed the atmosphere in this, the darkened desolate ruins of a station.
I also loved your use of the WS tile backgrounds.
It was a unique use of them, the panels, pistons, windows, etc.

I just wish this was a full hack.
Short and sweet.

JamieWebb16

Thank you Dmantra, your level design still inspires me so. ;)

Prime Hunter

Just finished this one myself and I have to mirror what others have said: I loved what you did with the tileset. The atmosphere was handled beautifully for the most part, although I have to agree some of the darker rooms, such as the elevator shaft, would be better off if there was some indication where the platforms were. Pretty sure I only missed the Spazer, but I knew something was up with that area even if I never figured out how to get up there. That earns points since you made it suspicious enough for me to want to investigate that area. Having items and paths hidden like that is a huge plus in my book, and again as Quietus mentioned, that's a much better way to hide things than to simply force players to bomb every tile while trying to make progress.

So yeah, you can add me to the list of people who would love to see more work from you. Whether it's a continuation of this theme or something new doesn't matter as long as you enjoy what you're doing, but you did a great job with this one so I wouldn't mind seeing more of this style in the future.

JamieWebb16

Thank you Prime Hunter! This hack will be extended and I plan to make a remake for this hack, which includes to be more like a full hack rather than just an extension. And new areas of the wrecked facility to explore and it will give a chance for the player to dive into the back story of when the facility was build and why.