News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Community Stardust Race

Started by MetroidMst, September 30, 2014, 01:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

foosda

first run tonight, 31:37 rta, 21 igt. route is pretty much nailed down, but I have yet to practice any room strats. probably will do a few more.

edit: 3rd run: 30:19 rta, 20 igt. lost 30ish seconds from ridley to end. probably will practice room strats before any more runs.

vid is here before dessy proofcalls: oops

edit2: impossible to highlight correctly: oops again

edit3: this is why I should just upload my local recordings. this time it should be good: http://www.twitch.tv/foosda/c/5616145

Dessyreqt

foosda

It wasn't bad, but it should show that 28 is a possibility. Slow phantoon/draygon/ridley. Lost 30ish on skip, no standup. Lots of movement mistakes.

I came up with the pirate strat on the fly, turned out pretty well, would recommend it unless anyone has any better ideas.

TheAnonymousUser

Your move, Quietus...
[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BojDMLrL9s
Yes, I know this could have easily been a 29[/spoiler]

RealRed

You guys are pressed about that Super Metroid Stardust meta.
Who's gonna TAS the hack and let the button press file run on the emulator when the race starts?

Cpt.Glitch

I'll do it and say I have an adrenaline rush.

Quietus

Quote from: TheAnonymousUser on December 04, 2014, 06:01:26 PMYour move, Quietus...
No, thanks.  After the whole 'you're a cheat' thing, I'm satisfied that I was vindicated by others equalling the 0:20.  Looking at a few people's runs, 0:19 is definitely possible.  I reckon with a few more tries, you'll get it.  Good luck! :^_^:

Dessyreqt

Who said you're a cheat? That's reading an awful lot into something that was paraphrased by the person who didn't originally say it.

Cpt.Glitch

Me. Quietus, you're a cheat. That 00:20? A TAS obvoiusy. My best in real time was00:11. Not TASed. My best TAS though was 1:30.

foosda

OK so I decided to grind some room strats and figure out some better ones. Someone in the IRC expressed interest in me uploading example videos of some of the cool/better strats, so I'll try to do that tonight.

Next note, finished another run with a 29:09 RTA, and 19 IGT. Twitch VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/foosda/c/5620903

Last note: 27 seems possible.

Edit: here are the strat videos I decided to highlight: http://pastebin.com/ddv8XUxN

There are some strats I didn't bother highlighting, that I thought were very apparent what they were from my PB video. If you have any questions on the execution, please feel free to ask.

personitis

Owch ball: never thought of using a super on that guy for whatever reason... Good idea.
Bounce skree ball: it might do well to make a video (whether you or I) showing the fly ball/how to enter that room in the beginning.
Double Ds: I'm not actually sure how I feel about this. I usually just get around the structure coming out and then as I'm either landing on top of the platform or passing the edge while facing the door, just shoot and do the last d-boost.

1-2 second time savers you may consider:

• While picking up the supers in Norfair, when mockballing on top of the small platform, lay a power. Clears the bomb block below. Works best when a wave shot also 'opens' the supers.
  • When leaving Phantoon, why not just start running from the right side as opposed to the left then back?

That VOD also made me realize that I can do a lot better than I had originally thought. Grats on PB/WR. :heheh:

Quietus

Quote from: Dessyreqt on December 05, 2014, 12:17:49 AMWho said you're a cheat?
It doesn't matter who said it, nor how it was said.  The fact remains the same, a person / people didn't believe that I got the time I said I did.  However you decide to label it, it's akin to saying that I must have cheated to get the time, or was making it up.  It's irrelevant anyway, as the target time has now been lowered.

MetroidMst

I managed to cut 30 myself this morning! I feel quite happy with this. I only hope I can pull this off during the race.

Also Quietus, I made the proof-call statement as a joke.

Jordan5

Okay, Quietus, I know I joked around to Mst that you couldn't reproduce the time when you were recording it, or that you were grinding hard to beat the new times people were setting. Not once did anyone claim you were cheating, we just joked because you uploaded it later than you initially said, that was all :lol: I'm sorry if this annoyed you in any way, but like I said, we never doubted your speed.

Quietus

It doesn't matter - what's done is done.  Let's all move on. :^_^:

Dessyreqt

So I did test what I thought was the fastest seventh tank (first tourian tank) vs. what the common seventh tank is (right after draygon). The tourian tank having the advantage of not having door transitions in betweeen, and the draygon one having the advantage of not being stuck in a bomb maze. What I found is a difference of 273 frames, or 4.55 seconds, in favor of the tank after Draygon. So I was wrong, the bomb maze more than makes up for not having to go through two doors.

You all were carrying on like this anyway, I just thought I'd double check.

Quietus

Yeah, in a 100% run it's nowhere near as bad, since you have Spring Ball, but without it, it's a bit of a troll. :^_^:

personitis

I'm still calling the post-Draygon e-tank the "trash tank." It's placement and your calling of it suits it too well. :heheh:

Dessyreqt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC9kNJR9Ldc

Good luck, it saves 49 frames at most.

Edit: May as well also add this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foi3ok_YK8o

Cpt.Glitch

I almost had a 35ish Real time run....but i didn't have enough ammo to beat mother brain. (Glass form). I'm so done.

Jordan5

She takes about 10 missiles and 9 supers, so make sure you have that when you get to the tank and then try not to miss. If you don't have that, make sure to farm ninja pirates/metroids so you enter tourian with enough, and you can always use the missile refill outside her room :^_^:

Cpt.Glitch

Ah that'll be useful to know. I had only 4 supers with me at the time. I'll make sure I have more by farming on the ninja pirates cause those would probably be quickest.

MetroidMst

It is time we probably start thinking about hammering out a date for this to happen. Again, sometime in January so it doesn't barge in on other things this month for some people. Also, time will be a consideration, since I know there are a few Brits and possibly Aussies and more Europeans interested in joining in. So timewise would probably be around 12-3PM EST so everyone has an opportunity to be in the race while not being in the middle of the night. (Also probably best on a weekend as well)

So now would be a good time to start throwing some suggestions around so we can set a date and time that will hopefully work for the large majority of those wanting to join in the fun.

Quietus

I'd say just pick the first Saturday or Sunday, and then roll with it unless there are lots of complaints.  If there are, you can then just move it back a week at at time as necessary.