News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Community Stardust Race

Started by MetroidMst, September 30, 2014, 01:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetroidMst

After spending some time really practicing for once, I've got my time down to 0:22. I don't think I will touch 0:20 at any point, but a 0:21 isn't impossible. If I can get consistent at short-charging Speed Booster, I would drop another Super Missile and end up at %25

Cpt.Glitch

I was referring to the ZSNES movie system. As long as it doesn't do that for the race, I'm all good.

MetroidMst

ZSNES is sort of notorious for the movie files desyncing. (SNES9x is your best bet for that, and I would recommend 1.53) Otherwise I would suggest using something like OBS to do a local recording and not have that issue.

Quietus

My apologies.  I've had a busy evening, so no video yet.  The recording is done, and the movie file is ready, so I've just got the upload to do.  I promise you can have it tomorrow. :heheh:

Cpt.Glitch

Can't wait. Seeing yours will for sure help me lower my petty time. :D

MetroidMst

Beware Quietus, people in my chat were proof-calling you last night. (I'm going to call it that anyway.) In other news, I got my 0:21 just a little while ago. I would be very happy to get something similar during the race.

Quietus

Proof-calling? :neutral:

I can't see why.  Other players are achieving the same times as me.  I guess you're always going to get some.

Anyway, I already said I'd upload my run, which will be up tonight.  I had a slow Phantoon, a fairly slow Ridley (I also spazzed out, and selected Missiles during the fight), and an annoying Draygon who required one more super after the first gunk sweep. :stern:

I also had to reset one run, because I got to Lower Norfair, and realised I hadn't grabbed Plasma after beating Draygon. :lol:

Dessyreqt

Well, I didn't expect MST to go back here on the forums, but I will say this "proof caller" he was talking about is me. It wasn't so much that I doubt your skill, I just have the philosophy of "if you don't have the video, you don't have the time." I fully expect that you in fact have the video. I don't actually doubt your time. It's just not real to me until I see it, if that makes sense. Also, I'm not aware of any other 20s in Stardust, but then I haven't started practicing yet. :D

A while ago there were a couple of guys... not only did they claim to develop tricks that were verifiably developed by other parties, they were claiming 100% times of :46 and :47, back in the day when the best video was Hotarubi's :50. Of course, they never had videos of such feats, and they tried to join a couple of races, but they were easily defeated and chalked it up to "nerves". It was clear very quickly they hadn't achieved such times. While my first instinct is to believe someone who claims a time, I can't quote it as fact until I see a video.

So it's not an affront to you personally, it's just plain skepticism. I look forward to watching your run.

Quietus

I too feel that way, and am happy to provide the video.  WMM only finished publishing it to my computer at 2:15, and I wasn't going to wait for the upload as I needed some shut-eye. :^_^:

I was just more surprised that players found a 0:20 so unusual.  A good number of other players have achieved 0:21 just within the last two weeks (when most talk of times picked up).  0:21-0:22 is what I and up with 80%-90% of the time, so I'm no different.  I've only had a few 0:20 runs, one if which I am uploading, and a bunch of 0:23+ runs for the balls-ups.  A lot of the experience comes from when I played it to death when it first came out.

Judging by the slow bosses in my most recent 0:20, I still suspect that 0:19 may be possible, but it'd take some glitch like a metroid skip or the stand-up glitch.  Outside of that, I think it would take somebody having godlike luck on all of the bosses as well as making no big mistakes.

personitis

Quote from: Quietus on December 03, 2014, 11:40:37 AM
Judging by the slow bosses in my most recent 0:20, I still suspect that 0:19 may be possible, but it'd take some glitch like a metroid skip or the stand-up glitch.  Outside of that, I think it would take somebody having godlike luck on all of the bosses as well as making no big mistakes.
Funny you mention the baby skip. I was doing a bit of playing with it last night and due to the raised portion in the middle and no HiJump, I'm going to call that as something that won't happen. No HiJump+Speedbooster messes with jumping far too much to even get past the second jump one would usually do. I also tried balling over it when it comes back from the front, not holding run and attempting to jump over, and leading it back to jump over but none of those worked out. :\

I also managed a non-legit 0:22 in which I was using save states to try and develop solid room strategies through some of the more 'tricky' rooms. Personally, I think a 0:19 would be barely possible and would require not only good boos fights, but also good boss luck. This is a just a prediction though as I haven't actually done too many practice runs just yet. There might be a farther opinion to come later tonight however.

Edit: So Mst just showed that 0:19 might not be as far off as I think it is...

Quietus

I'd guessed as much when somebody mentioned it earlier in the thread.  I'd agree that it's borderline impossible, as I know that big, circular jumps are required to loop around the metroid, so even with the right equipment, there isn't the room to do so.

Edit: Here's the video I promised yesterday.  Again, sorry for the delay. :^_^:

My any% Practice Run Of Stardust (Super Metroid Hack)

SpoOkyMagician

Seems MST/Quietus are going to Phantoon first. Guess I need to change my route again. At least it will be faster.

~ SpoOkyMagician

Quietus

Yeah, it's just logical progression.  To start the main boss rush section you need Power Bombs, Wave Beam, and Speed Booster.  You need Power Bombs to get Wave Beam, so the logical order to minimise backtracking is Power Bombs, Wave Beam, Speed Booster, then start your boss rush with Spore Spawn, Draygon, then Ridley.

SpoOkyMagician

Good lord... I got 26 minutes... Not much of an improvement... The route I took (practicing) I killed phantoon with only 1 energy tank (plus the default 99) really hard to do and not safe at all. (I found morph ball was the safest thing to do but even that, you can't take many hits without dying.) I will have to grab the other ETank before going though the PB door then. (Like MST did.)

Anyway, I had no problems with Draygon/Spore Spawn/Ridley. I think I got this down pretty well. I made a save state to practice Zebetite skip and I somehow managed to pull it off once. :whoa: It took me many tries so, in the race, I am only going to attempt it once. If i get it, great. If not, ill have to use the missiles/supers. *shrugs* Also, I swear, spin jumps are going to be the death/slow route of me. This controller is evil sometimes... I literally end up at the ship with 10 seconds left because I cannot spin jump at times...  :stern: But whatever. 26-27 is good enough from me.

edit: Yeah, no... I don't like this route. I will be more efficient my route. Too bad its so slow... :<_<:

~ SpoOkyMagician

Cpt.Glitch

Yea Spook, my best for far was 23, but I used save states everywhere. My fastest legit is 25-26. So we can finish together and be finish buddies. :P 

SpoOkyMagician

Yeah, at least ill be competing with someone. :^_^:

Also, I still can't Zebitite Skip at all. I managed to do it a second time but so many tries to do it... I need to watch that video very carefully...

~ SpoOkyMagician

personitis

I just joined the 0:20 club with a 30:34 RTA (video soon). Draygon wasn't good by any means (see my custom title) and the escape was pretty sloppy. Also, Mst and I came to the conclusion that RTA times around the 30:30 mark are high 20s in game time; likely 20:40-20:45. So pushing to 0:19 will in fact be pretty difficult.

Spooky: if you want to do Phantoon first, may I suggest getting the E-Tank in green Crateria and the one in WS? Makes his fight a lot more bearable. After that, I'd say the route doesn't really become a hassle until Draygon and then again at Mother Brain. I guess it's also pretty dependent on how many E-Tanks and Missiles/Supers you're grabbing.

SpoOkyMagician

If I can just learn to do the skip consistently, I can grab less missiles/supers in my run. Otherwise, I cannot change my route much. I am currently practicing it right now. (have a save state at it.)

Edit: OOOOH... That's how... :grin: I think I got it finally.

Edit: Let me try 20 Supers 25 Missiles now...

~ SpoOkyMagician

personitis

So it's zeb skip that's screwin' ya. I was having a bit of trouble with it as well. Then I discovered putting my back to the zeb pillar after freezing it and then letting the above rinka hit you gives great positioning for the trick. Also make sure to spin jump high enough so as to not get stuck too low. :oh: Though in the end, I say run with what most comfortable for you.

Twitch VOD of my 0:20
One thing to note about the end game time: I applied hex tweaks to make the timer display as minutes:seconds. I have suspicion they were applied wrong since my three runs were as follows: 21:21, 21:21, 20:20. Seems a bit too coincidental. I just want to get an idea of how specific of a 20 it is. Also, reasoning for not using a HUD timer:
<person701> Don't want anything adding cycles to the CPU mid game, even if doesn't make much of a difference.

SpoOkyMagician

Thanks anyway. I see how to do it now. You just have to be fast it seems. :^_^:

~ SpoOkyMagician

Cpt.Glitch

The zeb skip annoyed me for a while. But now I can usually get in in 1 or 2 tries. With the amount of items I'm getting, the skip is almost required if i don't want to go refill.

SpoOkyMagician

I just don't think I can kill Phantoon with 2 E Tanks. I need Varia. I am kinda stuck with my current route... (just less missiles/supers now.) Also, i screwed up and MB just now... Let's hope that doesn't happen during the race... (too many hits/not enough energy.) :lol:

Edit: Anyway, I think I posted enough in this topic. I'll leave my run as is and wait for the race. I'll check back in January. Good luck to everyone.

~ SpoOkyMagician

MetroidMst

I am jealous of that 2-round SpoSpo right now. I really want to add that with some consistency.

Cpt.Glitch

I have a 4 round Spore Spawn. I could try to lessen that, but....probably not gonna happen. xD

TheAnonymousUser

Cap'n Glitch: The easiest way to get a 3 round in on spawn is to have 1 round using a missile and a super, then just use supers from there on (spawn dies to 10 missiles/3 supers and a missile). 2 cycling spawn for me is out of the question, as I'm not consistent at all.

Here. Have last night's WR until mst shot it down an hour later.
[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs-JLL82nuU
The finished run starts at 29:00[/spoiler]