News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: The Doors

Started by TobiMikami, September 12, 2014, 09:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

altoiddealer

Quote from: altoiddealer on October 01, 2014, 02:47:13 PM
Gotcha   :nod:

But I personally feel Samus doesn't look as good layered this way  :nope:  At least put in some FG objects, like that tuft of grass in the beginning of the video.

I'm awestruck by the work SM hackers do, so I'm aware suggestions like this might be laughable coming from a casual player such as myself

TobiMikami

Well a lot of the people who play the hack just to play the hack focus more on the ambiance more so than anything, or at least the bigger things. People who do livestreams, lets plays, playthroughs, challenge runs, etc like MST (who probably has some of the most hack playthrough videos) and commentary channels like BrainScratchComms and Quadraxis14 usually focus more on the tiling in the sense of visual flow and if there's a ton of obscene errors or glitches. Smaller stuff like that isn't really noticed unless you hold a microscope to the hack, or it creates a really noticeably ugly and just overall bad look. A lot of us do fine tune our work don't get me wrong, but some things like that we don't usually lose sleep over :P

Quote58

It's completely up to the hackers discretion, but I'll just toss in the fact that I do notice layering nuances like that and they can really take away from the look of the rest of the room for me. This isn't because I'm dissecting the hack, it's just because having some tilesets use samus in front and some behind contrast each other and that sticks out to me.
Also, what song is that in the video?

TobiMikami

True, but it does depend on the tileset strongly, like with this particular one where it's rocky and on pretty much the entire walking space is a hell of a lot different then say Crateria grass.
As for the music, experience one of the most random songs Tool ever made (Well besides that answering machine message one)
[spoiler=Intermission]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSvtGQUqldA[/spoiler]

Szandor

Intermission is just an introduction to their next song on the cd: Jimmy
jimmy tool

I had the pleasure of seeing A Perfect Circle about 10 years ago when I was living in the Bay Area (and oddly enough, I'm back there now for work). I never managed to be able to see Tool when they were touring, here is hoping that they'll come back through the Bay Area in the next year or two...

Sorry for the digression, but this hack looks cool!

TobiMikami

Tool is one of my favorite bands, I'm pretty sure I used Rosetta Stoned in another video I posted earlier, which is horribly outdated compared to how the game looks now, especially those screenshots, they're ratty as all hell, as it is like comparing the Mona Lisa to a literal pile of crap. I've been meaning to update that with like a trailer or something but I'm still trying to figure out what I want and don't want to spoil.

UPDATE: 10/3/14 Beta test video dump is now available below. A few minor glitches are present in this video, as it is a BETA playthrough. However, it is the most up to date graphics.
[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jabJFtq4_8[/spoiler]