News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Decompression

Started by Mettyk25jigsaw, August 22, 2014, 10:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettyk25jigsaw

Hi, I am wanting to patch the patch called 'decompression optimization' by Kejardon.

I am just wanting to know if I am suppose to patch both the IPS and the asm patch or just one 'OR' the other?

Thankyou for any help...

Vismund Cygnus

I haven't tried but my assumption would be that you use either one or the other.
Usually the ASM files come with both .ips and .asm so that if anyone with the knowledge to do so wants to make changes to the ASM they can do so, or even so they can see exactly what's going on.
If you're using a lot of ASM you'd likely want to use the .asm so you can see what it's changing (although based on what the patch does I highly doubt it will conflict).

TL;DR - Only use one, but make a backup.

Mettyk25jigsaw

I had the same thought but the Offset where the asm gets pasted is different to that of where the IPS gets pasted...

P.JBoy

Nah, they both end up the same place. They're identical (although, the IPS actually contains some unneeded bytes at the end, presumably from when the patch was still being developed and the same ROM being patched over and over). So pick you're poison

Mettyk25jigsaw

Yeah, I found that out when I patched the asm, First byte changed was where the offset was in the IPS File even though the 'org' in the ASM was about $28 bytes before the offset of the IPS but nothing was changed from the org up to the offset of IPS...I'll be using the ASM since the IPS has some bytes that aren't being used....Thanks PJBoy and Vismund...