News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Editing Tutorial - Creating Realistic Terrain

Started by Grimlock, August 13, 2014, 10:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimlock

Editing Tutorial: Creating Realistic Terrain

This tutorial will briefly cover the creation of the graphics and structures necessary in creating realistic terrain in the original Metroid

Requires the following actions:
1. Structure editing in Editroid
2. Graphics editing with Tile Layer pro or equivalent

Tutorial assumes the following:
1. You know how to create and edit structures in Editroid
2. You already have a basic understanding of a tile editing application such as Tile Layer Pro.
(Information regarding Editroid structure creation and tile editing are available from other sources)

Step 1:
[spoiler]Using a tile editing application create the following tiles:
Each angle will use two 8x8 tiles, you will notice that the extreme angles repeat the same two tiles.
You will also need to create a left and right wall graphic (not shown in image 1)

Rearranged you can see how the tiles will form a circular shape:

[/spoiler]

Step 2:
[spoiler]Using your new tiles create the following structures:
It is highly recommended that you create them in order within your structure library, you don't want to have these all over the place.  (You'll be able to place one within a set and simple press + or – to go to the next)

Use a black solid 8x8 for the inner black area and an "air" solid black for the outer surface black area.

Rearranged you can see the tiles will form a clean circular shape

[/spoiler]

Examples of the potential within this technique:
(You'll want to create additional floor, wall, and detail tiles to avoid blandness in your level designs)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Flower

Wonderful Guide, this gives me an idea on how to succeed in creating a cave-like terrain, like my last hack was intending to.
I will use that knowledge in the future.
Thanks