News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid - Rogue Dawn

Started by Grimlock, August 02, 2014, 11:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimlock

Quote from: Kenta Kurodani on June 10, 2016, 08:18:18 PM
Something I was wondering about, it looks like the right images are all suitless, does that mean we no longer have that cool thing you mentioned about her having the suit when not on a ship?

That's actually a pretty neat thing about the Metroid engine, you cqn have a unique sprite in each area.  It also allows for a unique palette for the player sprite in each area.  A neat concept but ultimately it didn't make it in this hack.  It could be a pretty neat feature in some other hack in the future.

Quote from: Thirteen1355 on June 10, 2016, 08:39:54 PM
Could you give us some more details about the story of the game?
I really like the idea of the Fed. Force actually being corrupt, and even working with Space Pirates/evil monsters sometimes.

Well I've since modified the story in an effort to allow a more seamless integration with the official Metroid series.  I'll try and post some details soon.

Thirteen1355

Quote from: Grimlock on June 11, 2016, 01:36:02 AM
Quote from: Kenta Kurodani on June 10, 2016, 08:18:18 PM
Something I was wondering about, it looks like the right images are all suitless, does that mean we no longer have that cool thing you mentioned about her having the suit when not on a ship?

That's actually a pretty neat thing about the Metroid engine, you cqn have a unique sprite in each area.  It also allows for a unique palette for the player sprite in each area.  A neat concept but ultimately it didn't make it in this hack.  It could be a pretty neat feature in some other hack in the future.

Could you give us some more details about the story of the game?
I really like the idea of the Fed. Force actually being corrupt, and even working with Space Pirates/evil monsters sometimes.

Well I've since modified the story in an effort to allow a more seamless integration with the official Metroid series.  I'll try and post some details soon.

Why not the suit when not on a ship? Does it hinder the game storywise? I mean, it's a really neat feature.
Also, great to hear there's more coming about the story!

Grimlock

Enjoy:

Metroid Rogue Dawn Teaser #1

(Thank or blame MetroidMST)  :cool:

Steel Sparkle

that was a pretty sweet teaser. Looking forward to it. If i can remember that is :p

Grimlock

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on June 13, 2016, 10:51:57 AM
that was a pretty sweet teaser. Looking forward to it. If i can remember that is :p

Translation = Sweet, yet forgettable....  :heheh:  :pwuh:  :stern:  :<_<:

Steel Sparkle

No i just have bad memory and may forget to play it.
Other than that it looks fantastic.

altoiddealer

Looks incredible.  Can't wait!

PKstarship

That looks awesome! Also, is it just me, or did she have different jumping physics when jumping out of the water?

Also, HYYYYYYYYYYYPE  :grin:

RealRed

It also allows for a unique palette for the player sprite in each area.  A neat concept but ultimately it didn't make it in this hack.
It would be a shining polish to have samus' colors reflect upon the colors of each area... even if just lightly so.

Grimlock

Quote from: RealRed on June 26, 2016, 07:46:47 PM
It also allows for a unique palette for the player sprite in each area.  A neat concept but ultimately it didn't make it in this hack.
It would be a shining polish to have samus' colors reflect upon the colors of each area... even if just lightly so.

Interesting idea, the NES palette is rather limited but it would probably be possible.  I don't think I'm going to try and work that into this particular project since we're so close to being done but I can see than being a neat feature in some other hack.  You could even have different player sprites in each area as well.

zaphod77

Just to be sure, the morph jump has been fixed, right?

Morph in air, fine.
unmorph in air, fine.
jump afte unmorph in air works in original.  it's a big time saver.
unmorph, jump, morph, unmorph, jump, morph... definitely not fine. :)

snarfblam

Y CANT METROID FLY?

In Rogue Dawn you can not unmorph and jump off the air.

zaphod77

Okay. just making sure. as awesome a time saver it is, it's a really big cheat.  I'm guessing walldoor technique has been fixed too?  or is it now intended (and impossible to abuse)?

Grimlock

Quote from: zaphod77 on July 01, 2016, 11:08:18 PM
Okay. just making sure. as awesome a time saver it is, it's a really big cheat.  I'm guessing walldoor technique has been fixed too?  or is it now intended (and impossible to abuse)?

Actually, I haven't tested for that.  Honestly though I can't see it being very useful in this hack, you'd probably just end up getting yourself permastuck.  With that said it's pretty much an irrelevant cheat.

zaphod77

it is useful if there is an unbroken line of vertical blocks above a vertical area's walldoor that extends up until it either reaches a second door that was difficult or impossible to get to with your current powerups, or the ceiling, if getting above it would be useful.

I spotted no obvious cases in the teaser, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Thirteen1355

Are there actually new bosses in this game?

Grimlock

Quote from: Thirteen1355 on July 06, 2016, 06:20:56 PM
Are there actually new bosses in this game?

New graphics, boss rooms, and music, with existing behaviors.  So yes and no.

Thirteen1355

I can live with that :)

Some hacks heavily edit the bosses' sprites, so they plotwise are different bosses, but still have the same AI.

Is that what you're (were) going for in Rogue Dawn too?
Or are they still our old friends Kraid and Ridley?

snarfblam

STOP ASKING QUESTIONS I NEED TO DISCUSS THINGS WITH GRIMLOCK

Thirteen1355

snarfblam

Thirteen1355

Fair enough. You have been granted permission.

EDIT: Uh, they aren't being posted here, I see?

MollyAncalime

What are the odds of an August 6th release date like what AM2R is doing? Would definitely be a very badass move, make the 30th anniversary a very exciting one.

Thirteen1355

That would be really sad, as my summer vacation will be over by that time.
So I wouldn't have any time to play... ;(

EDIT:
"Could you give us some more details about the story of the game?
I really like the idea of the Fed. Force actually being corrupt, and even working with Space Pirates/evil monsters sometimes."

Quote from: Grimlock
"Well I've since modified the story in an effort to allow a more seamless integration with the official Metroid series.  I'll try and post some details soon."

Are you still going to post more about the story? Or is the story not definitive yet, and have you decided to leave it?

EDIT(roid): Which program did you use to edit Samus'/Dawn's sprite?

Grimlock

I haven't put together the text for the final storyline draft yet though I have finalized it for the most part.

I used Tile Layer Pro to make all my sprite changes though I have been shifting more so to Photoshop for my graphics creation then using NES screen tool and YYCHR for insertion, TLP is still really good for minor tweaks and changes.